Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

42 and crutching it

Posted by Pat M. on 8/04/00 at 00:03 (024641)

Guess What?!?!?! I CAN use crutches. It's been 1 1/2 days since surgery. I get around fairly well, but it hurts. My pain pills have been my pals. I have an incision all the way across the bottom of my foot. The doc released the fascia and removed the spur. By the way did I mention that it hurts!!!!!!!! No, really, I think that I am doing well. I love my recliner. Next to the meds it is my best friend right now. I will see the doctor again next Tuesday. If I understand correctly, at that point I am supposed to be put in a cast. Not sure of the length of time. I know I should know more than I do about this, but at the time the doc was talking, I was either too nervous, or too drugged to understand.
To be perfectly honest with you, the sorest parts on my body are my arms. They are definitely not used to lifting that kind of weight. Maybe I'll develop some cool muscles. I'm not too sure about the wheelchair, though. Haven't been able to take her out on the open road yet. I don't know if I'll get the kind of mileage out of her as I need to. She does have a seat belt though. (To keep little second graders from tipping their teacher out on the floor.)
Yep, I'm rambling. I have simply got to start posting again before midnight. My brain is too foggy to work.
Oh..loved the pic Nancy and Judy. Enjoying yourselves a little too much, huh? Keep those men hopping. It's good for them. My husband just asked me to please get well by tomorrow. (uhuh) He actually said that it was hard to work and be mama, too. Imagine that.
Alright. I'll read up on everyone else tomorrow. Oh yeah, did I remember to tell you that it hurts? Maybe it's the panty staples.:-0 heheheh Pat M.

Re: 42 and crutching it

Nancy S. on 8/04/00 at 06:23 (024642)

Good morning, Pat! You sound in quite good spirits despite the pain, hang on to them as much as possible, and when in doubt, Dr. S here prescribes a dose of Sharie.
Like you, I love my recliner too. My recliner and I have developed something similar to a marriage this year, although I do stray. . . .
Laurie gave me some good cast-attitude advice last night, so today I'm basically trying to think of it as a part of my body.
Hope you have less pain today, Pat, and keep us posted.
--Nancy

KarenS on 8/04/00 at 10:10 (024644)

Pat: I had the same thing done as you on June 29th. Two weeks after my surgery I was put in a cast for 4 weeks. It comes off Aug. 10th hopefully. I know what you mean about the crutches. It's very hard on the arms but the wheelchair is a lifesaver to go shopping. I'll let you know how I do when the cast comes off. Keep smiling, hopefully there are better days ahead.

Karen

Sharie on 8/05/00 at 00:33 (024651)

Dear Pat,

My gosh girl, you sound like you are doing pretty darn well for it being so soon post surgery! It sounds like you and Karen S are experiencing similiar situations, and Karen is FANTASTIC support... she has been for me I know. I simply couldn't get those darn crutches to work for me, but this wheelchair is AWESOME. Hubby is very used to wheelin' me out to the car, tossin' the chair in the back, and doing that over and over and over and over hehehe. Bless his heart... he is a jewel about all this, never EVER has complained ... I however have been experiencing some depression which has taken me by surprise, even though I know others have talked about it. I just didn't feel it was going to happen to me. For one thing I am a crisis counselor and help others, so for some rediculous reason I felt I could go through all this without the depression part happening. Uh huhh yeah Sharie and then you woke up! I am now 4 weeks post surgery, and haven't been allowed to walk on my foot yet, and I can't imagine even doing that full on anyway. My recliner (like yours) is my best friend, no wait, the drugs are, no wait, the wheelchair is... oh hell with it, they are all important : ] I can identify with so much you have shared. You keep doing well, and like you my husband is a teacher, and when you guys go back to school, I am SURE going to miss you BOTH! I really feel you will do wonderfully in the chair, it will be such a relief to you. You take care dear, and keep us informed of your progress.... sharie@san.rr.com

Sharie

Nancy S. on 8/04/00 at 06:23 (024642)

Good morning, Pat! You sound in quite good spirits despite the pain, hang on to them as much as possible, and when in doubt, Dr. S here prescribes a dose of Sharie.
Like you, I love my recliner too. My recliner and I have developed something similar to a marriage this year, although I do stray. . . .
Laurie gave me some good cast-attitude advice last night, so today I'm basically trying to think of it as a part of my body.
Hope you have less pain today, Pat, and keep us posted.
--Nancy

KarenS on 8/04/00 at 10:10 (024644)

Pat: I had the same thing done as you on June 29th. Two weeks after my surgery I was put in a cast for 4 weeks. It comes off Aug. 10th hopefully. I know what you mean about the crutches. It's very hard on the arms but the wheelchair is a lifesaver to go shopping. I'll let you know how I do when the cast comes off. Keep smiling, hopefully there are better days ahead.

Karen

Sharie on 8/05/00 at 00:33 (024651)

Dear Pat,

My gosh girl, you sound like you are doing pretty darn well for it being so soon post surgery! It sounds like you and Karen S are experiencing similiar situations, and Karen is FANTASTIC support... she has been for me I know. I simply couldn't get those darn crutches to work for me, but this wheelchair is AWESOME. Hubby is very used to wheelin' me out to the car, tossin' the chair in the back, and doing that over and over and over and over hehehe. Bless his heart... he is a jewel about all this, never EVER has complained ... I however have been experiencing some depression which has taken me by surprise, even though I know others have talked about it. I just didn't feel it was going to happen to me. For one thing I am a crisis counselor and help others, so for some rediculous reason I felt I could go through all this without the depression part happening. Uh huhh yeah Sharie and then you woke up! I am now 4 weeks post surgery, and haven't been allowed to walk on my foot yet, and I can't imagine even doing that full on anyway. My recliner (like yours) is my best friend, no wait, the drugs are, no wait, the wheelchair is... oh hell with it, they are all important : ] I can identify with so much you have shared. You keep doing well, and like you my husband is a teacher, and when you guys go back to school, I am SURE going to miss you BOTH! I really feel you will do wonderfully in the chair, it will be such a relief to you. You take care dear, and keep us informed of your progress.... sharie@san.rr.com

Sharie