Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

people fly to the moon, yet we can't cure heel pain?.

Posted by suzi on 8/04/00 at 07:18 (024652)

I can't quite figue out how people can fly to the moon and back so easily, open heart surgeries are probably performed with the doctors eyes closed, and transplants are probably performed as easily as my mechanic changes the oil in my car.....................WHAT IN THE WORLD IS THE BIG MYSTERY IN SOLVING CHRONIC HEEL PAIN? I can't for the life of me figure out why it is so mind boggling trying to get peoples' feet to feel better. HOW FRUSTRATING......................
ok, i've cleared my mind, now I can start my day in a mellow fashion!

Re: people fly to the moon, yet we can't cure heel pain?.

Nancy S. on 8/04/00 at 07:44 (024653)

Hi Suzi, hope you stay mellow!
I think Rock had it right: people don't die from heel pain so it gets little attention. Plus, I guess there'd be no glory in it -- no big headlines like FIRST TRANSPLANT or ALL HEART DISEASE CURED. Of course, if they knew what kind of celebration we all would throw them, they might get on the stick.
In this era, we need a celebrity with this problem to start making a big fuss, like Michael J. Fox and Parkinson's. Anyone want to write to Harrison Ford?
--Nancy

Rock on 8/04/00 at 08:26 (024654)

Nancy S.,

I asked a hospital administrator (running) buddy about why medical science cannot cure our PF/AT.

He said that the medicine is big business that focuses on profit margins. Until there is a quick (high profit) $70,000 procedure like heart bypass surgery, to fix PF and/or AT, the medical industry will make money on us by sending us back/forth from/to PTs/PODs.

He also said that if many members of the big USA sports (Football,Baseball,Basketball) suffered serious PF/AT then there would already be a quick and effective 'cure'.

Rock.

Barbara on 8/04/00 at 08:38 (024655)

As I mentioned in a previous post, I read a book many years ago that said there would never be a cure for cancer or the common cold because there is too much money to be made. PF has cost many of us hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars and most of us are no better off. But, we must still keep paying to find our own individual cure or to at least remain status quo. Where is the incentive in a one time treatment cure? Unless, of course, the cure cost thousands of dollars and must be repeated regularly.

wendyn on 8/04/00 at 08:55 (024656)

I would write to Harrison Ford, but I guarantee I wouldn't have feet on my mind.

Nancy S. on 8/04/00 at 09:14 (024657)

Well Wendy, could you bring yourself to write to Harrison whatever you have in your own sick (not my word but if the shoe fits . . .) mind and just add a P.S. about our need for his foot-pain support in the larger world?
Loved your hospital smoke story! Yesterday staples in hair, today this. Throw us one a day and we'll all feel better from amusement.
--Nancy

Nancy S. on 8/04/00 at 09:19 (024658)

Rock, all true, no doubt about it. Money is the bottom -- and I mean lowdown bottom -- line. I don't see that changing in my lifetime.
--Nancy

john a on 8/04/00 at 09:30 (024659)

Perhaps for PF to get the attention by the media it deserves, one of us has to go postal at a podiatry convention... I can see the headline now 'Foot Pain Kills: PF sufferer gets Medieval on Foot Docs' Collective Asses at Pod Con' ... look for it in the news sometime soon... (sorry about the sick gruesome image -- I've been having a bad couple of weeks -- poor excuse, I know)

john h on 8/04/00 at 09:51 (024660)

what amazes me is that some pro athleletes completely rupture the fascia from the heel and within a month are back playing ball. one of my orthopedic surgeons (lady) told me she had a bad case of PF and that one day she tore it loose from the heel. after recovery she was healed and back to swiming with the sharks in baha and without pain. i have to think that those of us with long term pf problems have more working than we know. an example might be long term nerve damage. of course i have read about people with long term pf who have recovered.

john h on 8/04/00 at 09:54 (024661)

one big name that sticks in my mind who had some sort of major foot problem that ended his carreer and still bothers him today is Bill Walton the allstar NBA center of some years ago. Carl Lewis the gold medal olympic sprinter had PF and PF surgery and still won races.

Rock on 8/04/00 at 10:28 (024662)

John H.,

I do not mean to be unkind to anyone here on the PF board, but I know a number of very driven (national class) ironman triathletes, marathoners and ultramarathoners that suffer with serious PF (pain EVERY day for many years on end) and yet still manage to compete year after year.

Somehow, they 'win the race' (really top 2%) and deal with the pain that attacks them the following days (never during the event). I guess to them it is worth it ?

Me, I want to get well !

Rock.

Suzi D on 8/04/00 at 11:28 (024663)

I can't imagine a quick walk around the block let alone running a marathon with pf. I'd like a urine test of those atheletes, if ya know what I mean.

pf'ly yours,
wuss

Rock on 8/04/00 at 13:54 (024664)

The story I get again and again from these folks is that it does not hurt during the race at all, but hurts really bad the next day(s).

That pretty much agrees with my experience in this matter.
Rock.

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/04/00 at 14:31 (024665)

I heard that Big Bill Walton fractured his navicular and part of the reason was the hard plastic orthosis that he was wearing that day. I hope that I am not starting a false rummor but this was told to me years ago.

john h on 8/04/00 at 19:04 (024666)

i consider myself reasonably tough. i flew 100 combat missions over vietnam and was shot down over laos and ran around the jungle hiding from the bad guys but there is no way i could run 3 miles with the PF i experience much less a marathon. the way i got where i am is being a macho guy and running through the pain. i turned out to macho dumb.

john h on 8/04/00 at 19:06 (024667)

dr z: your comment about bill walton is interesting because i was wearing hard plastic orthotics when my problem begin.

JudyS on 8/04/00 at 20:40 (024670)

Hi Rock - I don't get why you thought talking about those ultra-marathoneres 'running through' the pain would be offensive here. Clue me in! My theory on this thread's topic is this ; ( I know you've all waited breathlessly....); pro athletes DO get PF - just think about those baseball players, for example, who are in cleats for hours a day - believe me, I've yet to meet a cleated shoe that was foot-friendly! Anyway, I've mentioned before that the Padre's center fielder had PF a couple years ago, he had the surgery and was back on the field in two weeks. So perhaps with his kind of medical attention, we too could be back in the world in two weeks. My other thought, especially in regards to athletes who 'run through' it is that there's an assumption that it'll either eventually clear up with conventional treatments in spite of continued activity (remember, my own distance-runner Pod ran throught it!) or it'll do it's own 'self-care- i.e., rupture. I read somewhere once that the rupture is the body's natural way of dealing with it! OUCH!
So, all you 'contributing' medical folks, tell us, if PF is allowed to just continue for years with no treatments, what could be the negative outcome? Is it 'just' a rupture?

Beverly on 8/04/00 at 23:44 (024671)

Well, here is my theory on the athletes and how they do it.
They love what they are doing so much that while it is going on, they have a mind/body thing that makes them unaware of the pain. After it is over, they pay for it. Plus, they are conditioned to suffer with pain. Look at the gymnasts. You know those girls have got to be in pain from all those strange contortions and accidents they have. But as Kim said, they have an entourage of help at hand.

I have decided that if I ever win the lottery, I will get a massage everyday.

Beverly

PS: Wendy, I have a feeling Harrison Ford is getting to be an old geezer. I think they use alot of makeup on him to hide the wrinkles.

wendyn on 8/05/00 at 00:55 (024672)

He may be an old geezer. But he's a pretty hot old geezer. Just my two cents. Does he have PF? I know Jerry Seinfeld wears orthotics. My podiatrist had some pictures of him up on the wall advertising them.

john h on 8/05/00 at 10:35 (024673)

jerry wears orthotics to make himself taller.

Nancy S. on 8/04/00 at 07:44 (024653)

Hi Suzi, hope you stay mellow!
I think Rock had it right: people don't die from heel pain so it gets little attention. Plus, I guess there'd be no glory in it -- no big headlines like FIRST TRANSPLANT or ALL HEART DISEASE CURED. Of course, if they knew what kind of celebration we all would throw them, they might get on the stick.
In this era, we need a celebrity with this problem to start making a big fuss, like Michael J. Fox and Parkinson's. Anyone want to write to Harrison Ford?
--Nancy

Rock on 8/04/00 at 08:26 (024654)

Nancy S.,

I asked a hospital administrator (running) buddy about why medical science cannot cure our PF/AT.

He said that the medicine is big business that focuses on profit margins. Until there is a quick (high profit) $70,000 procedure like heart bypass surgery, to fix PF and/or AT, the medical industry will make money on us by sending us back/forth from/to PTs/PODs.

He also said that if many members of the big USA sports (Football,Baseball,Basketball) suffered serious PF/AT then there would already be a quick and effective 'cure'.

Rock.

Barbara on 8/04/00 at 08:38 (024655)

As I mentioned in a previous post, I read a book many years ago that said there would never be a cure for cancer or the common cold because there is too much money to be made. PF has cost many of us hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars and most of us are no better off. But, we must still keep paying to find our own individual cure or to at least remain status quo. Where is the incentive in a one time treatment cure? Unless, of course, the cure cost thousands of dollars and must be repeated regularly.

wendyn on 8/04/00 at 08:55 (024656)

I would write to Harrison Ford, but I guarantee I wouldn't have feet on my mind.

Nancy S. on 8/04/00 at 09:14 (024657)

Well Wendy, could you bring yourself to write to Harrison whatever you have in your own sick (not my word but if the shoe fits . . .) mind and just add a P.S. about our need for his foot-pain support in the larger world?
Loved your hospital smoke story! Yesterday staples in hair, today this. Throw us one a day and we'll all feel better from amusement.
--Nancy

Nancy S. on 8/04/00 at 09:19 (024658)

Rock, all true, no doubt about it. Money is the bottom -- and I mean lowdown bottom -- line. I don't see that changing in my lifetime.
--Nancy

john a on 8/04/00 at 09:30 (024659)

Perhaps for PF to get the attention by the media it deserves, one of us has to go postal at a podiatry convention... I can see the headline now 'Foot Pain Kills: PF sufferer gets Medieval on Foot Docs' Collective Asses at Pod Con' ... look for it in the news sometime soon... (sorry about the sick gruesome image -- I've been having a bad couple of weeks -- poor excuse, I know)

john h on 8/04/00 at 09:51 (024660)

what amazes me is that some pro athleletes completely rupture the fascia from the heel and within a month are back playing ball. one of my orthopedic surgeons (lady) told me she had a bad case of PF and that one day she tore it loose from the heel. after recovery she was healed and back to swiming with the sharks in baha and without pain. i have to think that those of us with long term pf problems have more working than we know. an example might be long term nerve damage. of course i have read about people with long term pf who have recovered.

john h on 8/04/00 at 09:54 (024661)

one big name that sticks in my mind who had some sort of major foot problem that ended his carreer and still bothers him today is Bill Walton the allstar NBA center of some years ago. Carl Lewis the gold medal olympic sprinter had PF and PF surgery and still won races.

Rock on 8/04/00 at 10:28 (024662)

John H.,

I do not mean to be unkind to anyone here on the PF board, but I know a number of very driven (national class) ironman triathletes, marathoners and ultramarathoners that suffer with serious PF (pain EVERY day for many years on end) and yet still manage to compete year after year.

Somehow, they 'win the race' (really top 2%) and deal with the pain that attacks them the following days (never during the event). I guess to them it is worth it ?

Me, I want to get well !

Rock.

Suzi D on 8/04/00 at 11:28 (024663)

I can't imagine a quick walk around the block let alone running a marathon with pf. I'd like a urine test of those atheletes, if ya know what I mean.

pf'ly yours,
wuss

Rock on 8/04/00 at 13:54 (024664)

The story I get again and again from these folks is that it does not hurt during the race at all, but hurts really bad the next day(s).

That pretty much agrees with my experience in this matter.
Rock.

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/04/00 at 14:31 (024665)

I heard that Big Bill Walton fractured his navicular and part of the reason was the hard plastic orthosis that he was wearing that day. I hope that I am not starting a false rummor but this was told to me years ago.

john h on 8/04/00 at 19:04 (024666)

i consider myself reasonably tough. i flew 100 combat missions over vietnam and was shot down over laos and ran around the jungle hiding from the bad guys but there is no way i could run 3 miles with the PF i experience much less a marathon. the way i got where i am is being a macho guy and running through the pain. i turned out to macho dumb.

john h on 8/04/00 at 19:06 (024667)

dr z: your comment about bill walton is interesting because i was wearing hard plastic orthotics when my problem begin.

JudyS on 8/04/00 at 20:40 (024670)

Hi Rock - I don't get why you thought talking about those ultra-marathoneres 'running through' the pain would be offensive here. Clue me in! My theory on this thread's topic is this ; ( I know you've all waited breathlessly....); pro athletes DO get PF - just think about those baseball players, for example, who are in cleats for hours a day - believe me, I've yet to meet a cleated shoe that was foot-friendly! Anyway, I've mentioned before that the Padre's center fielder had PF a couple years ago, he had the surgery and was back on the field in two weeks. So perhaps with his kind of medical attention, we too could be back in the world in two weeks. My other thought, especially in regards to athletes who 'run through' it is that there's an assumption that it'll either eventually clear up with conventional treatments in spite of continued activity (remember, my own distance-runner Pod ran throught it!) or it'll do it's own 'self-care- i.e., rupture. I read somewhere once that the rupture is the body's natural way of dealing with it! OUCH!
So, all you 'contributing' medical folks, tell us, if PF is allowed to just continue for years with no treatments, what could be the negative outcome? Is it 'just' a rupture?

Beverly on 8/04/00 at 23:44 (024671)

Well, here is my theory on the athletes and how they do it.
They love what they are doing so much that while it is going on, they have a mind/body thing that makes them unaware of the pain. After it is over, they pay for it. Plus, they are conditioned to suffer with pain. Look at the gymnasts. You know those girls have got to be in pain from all those strange contortions and accidents they have. But as Kim said, they have an entourage of help at hand.

I have decided that if I ever win the lottery, I will get a massage everyday.

Beverly

PS: Wendy, I have a feeling Harrison Ford is getting to be an old geezer. I think they use alot of makeup on him to hide the wrinkles.

wendyn on 8/05/00 at 00:55 (024672)

He may be an old geezer. But he's a pretty hot old geezer. Just my two cents. Does he have PF? I know Jerry Seinfeld wears orthotics. My podiatrist had some pictures of him up on the wall advertising them.

john h on 8/05/00 at 10:35 (024673)

jerry wears orthotics to make himself taller.