Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Personal Foot Trainer Hamstring, Quadricep and Pelvic Tilt Exercises

Posted by Mike W on 8/04/00 at 12:48 (024687)

I have not included these exercises in my PF Booklet but after talking to many PF sufferers over the past few months it seems that many people with PF also have upper leg, hip and lower back problems as well.

I used to have very tight quadricep muscles on my right leg which showed on an xray that they were pulling my right pelvis bones down (and why I was told my right leg was shorter than my left)which explained why my right hip and my left lower back region were always sore.

The following 2 exercises have eliminated my upper leg, hip and lower back problems.

Personal Foot Trainers Hamstring and Quadricep Exercise

Positioning:
Lie on your back with both legs flat on the ground.
Place your non-exercising leg up so your knee is bent and your foot is flat on the ground.
Place the PFT over the other foot just below the ball of the foot between the 2 rubber bands. Grip the handle end with either one or both hands (which ever is more comfortable).

Technique:
From your hip and using your quadricep muscles, slowly lift your leg (with your knee slightly bent) so your foot and leg moves up toward the ceiling as far as you can without any discomfort. As you do this provide resistance with your arms and shoulders. The rubber band should be pressing against the top of your foot. Relax once you get to the top or as far as you can go.

What you contract: Your Quadricep muscles
What you stretch: Your hamstring muscle
How many Repititions: Start with 5 and then add 1 every session until you can do 10

How far you move:
0 degrees to 75 degrees - below average
75 degrees to 90 degrees - normal
90 degrees to 120 degrees - above average
120 degrees to 150 degrees - hyper-mobile

Next, with your hamstring muscle slowly move your foot and leg down toward the ground while you provide resistance with your arms and shoulders. The rubber pad should be pressing against the ball of your foot.

What you contract: Your hamstring muscles
What you stretch: Your quadricep muscles

Repeat the above with your other leg.

Personal Foot Trainer Single Leg Pelvic Tilt Exercise

Positioning:
Lie on your back with both legs bent at the knee and feet flat on the ground. Place the PFT over the ball of the foot between the 2 rubber pads. Grip the handle with one or two hands (which ever is more comfortable).

Technique:
Slowly lift your exercising leg and move your knee towards your chest.
Provide resistance with your arms and shoulders. The rubber pad should be pressing against the top of your foot.

What you contract: Your abdominals, hip flexors and quadricep muscles
What you stretch: Your lower back (sacrospinalis) and buttocks (gluteus maximus)muscles
How many repititions: Start with 5 and add 1 every session until you can do 10

Next, slowly move your knee away from your chest while providing resistance with your hands and arms. The rubber band should be pressing against the ball of your foot.

What you contract your lower back (sacrospinals) and buttocks (gluteus maximus) and hamstring muscles
What you stretch: Your abdominals, hip flexors and quadricep muscles
How many repititions: Start with 5 and add 1 every session until you can do 10

Repeat the above with your other leg.

I hope these exercises will help.

Regards,

Mike Wilmot
Physical Therapist, Principal, Personal Foot Trainers
Email (email removed)