Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

ATTENTION: NANCY, IN ANSWER TO YOUR CAST QUESTION

Posted by Beverly on 8/04/00 at 14:53 (024688)

Hi Nancy or should I say Nancy Bell,

The cast just did not agree with me. It made my foot tingle... pins and needles feeling, feel overly warm, and go semi-numb. It also made my back hurt.
I wore it briefly (little less than a week), and when I saw pod #2 (that awful guy who messed up my stomach with Feldane), he said that since I had no fracture (determined after an x-ray), wearing the cast was optional. Since it made me feel worse rather than better, I ditched it. But I waited to get a second medical opinion before ditching it.

I have a history of less than great (rather sluggish) circulation. For instance, I have to get up and walk around every hour at my computer or my legs cramp, and my feet are often cold. So, perhaps it was that. Who knows?

But I think I have only heard about one other person on the board who had my same symptoms. It sounds like most everyone here liked the way the cast felt in regards to the foot.

At this point, the PT says my foot feels less squishy (and so that means less inflammation) but it hurts just as much to walk. And she was surprised to find it more tender to the touch even if less squishy.
However, I am doing so much better with my stretches.
So, it seems I go a few steps forward, a few steps backwards...

If I don't loose my mind and what little is left of my social life from this, I guess eventually I will be okay. God has a sense of humor. I have never had even an ounce of patience (major type A), and I am having to learn alot about patience. It's a good thing I like to read so much or I'd be even more bored than I already am.

See ya,
Beverly

Re: ATTENTION: NANCY, IN ANSWER TO YOUR CAST QUESTION

Nancy S. on 8/05/00 at 05:50 (024689)

Thanks for the details, Beverly. I don't seem to have any of those symptoms, so I assume I'm ok in the cast.
If your feet are less squishy and your stretching is going better, you must be making progress! Congratulations. I imagine it takes a while for these things to lead to truly less pain. (Duh -- did I just figure this out?)
Laurie is going to think of a name for my cast so I can be friends with it.
--Nancy

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/05/00 at 19:13 (024690)

How about putting a little whirlpool ( Walmart or CVS ) at the foot of your computer and use the heat when you are working on the computer. ?????

Nancy S. on 8/05/00 at 05:50 (024689)

Thanks for the details, Beverly. I don't seem to have any of those symptoms, so I assume I'm ok in the cast.
If your feet are less squishy and your stretching is going better, you must be making progress! Congratulations. I imagine it takes a while for these things to lead to truly less pain. (Duh -- did I just figure this out?)
Laurie is going to think of a name for my cast so I can be friends with it.
--Nancy

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/05/00 at 19:13 (024690)

How about putting a little whirlpool ( Walmart or CVS ) at the foot of your computer and use the heat when you are working on the computer. ?????