Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Fall/Winter Birkenstock Catalog 2000/Some Winter Birks I've not seen

Posted by Beverly on 8/04/00 at 17:26 (024691)

Hi All,

I just got a Fall/Winter Birkenstock 2000 catalog in the mail from http://www.happyfeet.com . This may be old hat to long time Birk wearers, but here are a few of the shoes I've not seen before:

1. Boston Wool/$114.00 : Just like regular Boston but in wool.

2. Oklahoma Shearling/$129.95: The Oklahoma (Tatami line) with a shearling wool lining. This shoe looks promising for winter since it is so well lined. I need a refresher. Does the Oklahoma run more narrow than other Birks? I'm discovering I need a wide toe box.

3.Five or six other clogs in the Tatami line that have a winter look.

4. From the Footprints line is a laceup sneaker-like shoe. It looks very wintery to me. Three styles: Bangor, Stanford, and Bristol. The heels look builtup like a sneaker. The material looks thick for winter.

5. Over in the Classic sandal line is a shoe I've not seen. It is called 'Vienna'. It is a covered sandal with a heelstrap. It has a dressier look than any of the other classic Birks I've seen. It sells for 94.95. It is suede.

Well, that wool Boston looks the most promising to me.

I've only seen these shoes in the catalog. I'm planning a drive to the Big City in September to take a look at these Fall/Winter shoes.
If anyone has tried the Boston Wool or Oklahoma Shearling, I'll be interested to hear about them.

I ordered a pair of Finn Comfort. They just arrived today. I'm sad to say they will be going right back to Happy Feet. I've sent back about 80% of the shoes I've ordered from them. They've got to be sick of me. I guess I will have to branch out and order from someone else. In many ways, the Finn Comfort is very similar to a Birk. It has the same kind of arch support and metatarsal support. It has a similar kind of negative heel cup. Unfortunately (at least for me), the toe box area just does not have enough support. When I walk in the shoes, my heel and arch feel pretty good, but the balls of my feet, just don't have enough support. It seems like it is hard to win in shoeland. Thus, another super expensive pair of shoes go back to the store.

Of all the many,many, many shoes I have tried, the only ones I can consistantly wear are: The Arizona Birk and not quite as well, the Mephesto Volga. Then, I also wear the Birk Gizeh thong pretty well and a Dansko sandal pretty well. To a lesser extent if just around the house, I have a pair of Ecco Cosmos. Other than my shower/pool shoes, that's it. If I could just find one other pair of shoes that work as well as the Arizona Birk, I would be so happy I would not have words to describe my shoe bliss!

Beverly

Re: Fall/Winter Birkenstock Catalog 2000/Some Winter Birks I've not seen

Lori E. on 8/04/00 at 22:11 (024692)

Beverly,
I just got my nubuck Tatami Oklahoma clogs from Germany this week. They were not as easy to get used to as the Kansas sandals,(those felt like they were already broken in when I fist put them on,) but they do seem promising for winter in MN. My husband commented that the Germans sure can make some ugly shoes, but I have come to terms with that.
I am still concerned about the snowy slushy winters. I think I am going to order the platic/rubber Birki clog for winter. When I asked the German service person at the Birk web site for advice for winter shoes, he told me that they are going to introduce several new Birks that would be suitable for winter wear. I am waiting for them to show up on the web site. Have fun on your shopping trip!

Lori E. on 8/04/00 at 22:18 (024693)

Sorry I forgot to tell you that the Tatami line has a narrower toe and heel box than the other Birks. So get fitted and buy accordingly. I am sticking with Tatami except for the rubber Birki clog.
I tried those this summer, but the store I got them from didn't have the black ones in my size and I tried a 40 instead of a 41, they seems to fit okay in the store, but big mistake. My toes were hurting after one day. I returned them, like so many other shoes I have tried.
Now I know you can't fudge on the size when it comes to Birkenstocks. You have to be fitted, because even if you try the same size, if it's a different line of Birkenstocks, they won't fit the same. Good luck!

Lori E. on 8/04/00 at 22:11 (024692)

Beverly,
I just got my nubuck Tatami Oklahoma clogs from Germany this week. They were not as easy to get used to as the Kansas sandals,(those felt like they were already broken in when I fist put them on,) but they do seem promising for winter in MN. My husband commented that the Germans sure can make some ugly shoes, but I have come to terms with that.
I am still concerned about the snowy slushy winters. I think I am going to order the platic/rubber Birki clog for winter. When I asked the German service person at the Birk web site for advice for winter shoes, he told me that they are going to introduce several new Birks that would be suitable for winter wear. I am waiting for them to show up on the web site. Have fun on your shopping trip!

Lori E. on 8/04/00 at 22:18 (024693)

Sorry I forgot to tell you that the Tatami line has a narrower toe and heel box than the other Birks. So get fitted and buy accordingly. I am sticking with Tatami except for the rubber Birki clog.
I tried those this summer, but the store I got them from didn't have the black ones in my size and I tried a 40 instead of a 41, they seems to fit okay in the store, but big mistake. My toes were hurting after one day. I returned them, like so many other shoes I have tried.
Now I know you can't fudge on the size when it comes to Birkenstocks. You have to be fitted, because even if you try the same size, if it's a different line of Birkenstocks, they won't fit the same. Good luck!