Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Just bought Mega Bromelain Caps... Trying to figure out how much to take... Help

Posted by Beverly on 8/04/00 at 19:15 (024694)

I've read so many of your posts about Bromelain and done a word search,
I bought some at the health food store today. I went with a mega dose bottle by Twinlab. Each capsule has 300 mg/1000 GDU. The bottle says to take 2 at a time for 600mg/2000 GDU. But it is talking about with food as a digestive aid.

I have a VERY picky stomach; so I am approaching the idea of taking Bromelain on an empty stomach with some caution. Will it work for foot pain on a full stomach or will it only kick in its anti-inflammatory benefits on an empty stomach?

Given that each pill has 300mg/1000 GDU's, how many would I need to take?

Has anyone had Bromelain upset their stomach? I am especially interested in hearing from people with tender tummy's. The only perscription anti-inflammatory I can take is Vioxx, and if my stomach is stressed out, even Vioxx bothers me. This is why I am so interested in trying the Bromelain.

Thanks,
Beverly

Re: Just bought Mega Bromelain Caps... Trying to figure out how much to take... Help

Pauline on 8/04/00 at 20:48 (024695)

Wanting to try this too. Has anyone had adverse effects from Bromelain?

Re: Just bought Mega Bromelain Caps... Trying to figure out how much to take... Help

Kim B. on 8/04/00 at 21:25 (024696)

This is my understanding of how Bromelain works. It acts as a digestive aid IF it is taken with foods containing protiens, i.e., milk, fish, fats, bacon, etc.. It's as if Protiens activate it's digestive properties. Likewise, it becomes an anti-inflammatory when it is taken away from protiens. Carbohydrates foods can be eaten with it without canceling it's anti-inflammatory benefits. Drinking coffee etc. shoudn't affect it, usless you put cream in the coffee. It's not having it on an empty stomach that makes the difference, it's the protiens, or lack of.

I used to take it just a little while before breakfast, because I was using it as digestive aid. It is very gentle. (I have IBS and currently take 20 mg prilosec per day.) I also have an RX of donnatol extendtabs on hand for spastic colon attacks. I used to take bromelain all the time, sometimes with food, and sometimes I'd take my supplements and get side tracked and not eat until hours later. Bromelain NEVER caused one moment of stomach distress for me. It is actually more gentle than a multiple vitamine. And I was taking the Nature's Plus Ultra Highest Potency Available Bormelain Supplement 1500. It is standardized 900 GDU. The dose was once daily. This was all pre-severe PF. I have never used it strickly for the anti-inflammatory benefits.

Kim B.

Lori E. on 8/04/00 at 21:57 (024697)

I take the Vitamin Shoppe brand of Bromelain 500mg/2000gdu and I found that taking a whole tab is too much for my stomach.( Espcially having to take it on an empty stomach.)My system hasn't been the same since I was taking 800 mg Advil 2-3 time a day for months on end. Now I take a 1/2 tab Bromelain 3x a day and it works well for me. I started taking Bromelain because Vioxx bothers my stomach too. Also when I take Vioxx in combination with my Claritin decongestent it caused my blood pressure to rise. My allergist wasn't too happy with me.
The important thing about Bromelain is the gdus, not so much the mg dosage. Also I read that you need to keep your Bromelain in a cool place, don't keep it in a steamy bathroom or in the kitchen by the stove or on top of the fridge. It looses it's effectiveness when it gets warm.
I definately find that Bromelain works better for me than Vioxx, but I will take the Vioxx if I have missed a few doses of the Bromelain because of having to take it on an empty stomach and I have pain before going to bed or I am running late in the morning. I just read that taking Bromelain in combination with turmeric and flax seed is even more effective. I am going to get some of that next and see if that takes the inflamation down another notch. Good luck!

Beverly on 8/04/00 at 23:30 (024698)

That's good to know. So I can eat with Bromelain if its pure carbohydrates, like a bread and fruit.
Robin, if you are out there reading this, oh queen of Bromelain, what is your opinion?

Beverly

Helene M on 8/05/00 at 08:50 (024699)

A naturopath told me if bromelain causes intestinal upset, it is easily remedied by eating a piece of bread to absorb its action. So I always take it on a completely empty stomach, thinking it will work better. Now I'm wondering which is correct, the info I got or what Kim said about it working just as well with carbohydrates. Kim, please let me know where you got your info. Thanks.

Robin B. on 8/06/00 at 06:10 (024701)

Beverly, I too have a difficult stomach. I have been taking bromelain since July 1999 and have had NO trouble. But -- here is the dosage I take.

I buy the Vitamin Shoppe Brand (about $18 for 300 caps)that are 500 mg each and 300 gdus each. The bottom says 500 mg, 600 gdus -- but the gel dissolving units is figured on a gram, not half a gram -- so that makes each capsule contain 300 gdus.

Three or four times a day I take a capsule on an empty stomach. That means I take 1,500 to 2000 mg per day and 900 to 1,200 gdus per day. I have read that 2000 gdus is considered a serious dosage. I have been fortunate to be helped with considerably less. But -- I take it on an empty stomach. There have been days when I have taken 5 or 6 caps and have suffered no distress.

Check the back label on the pills that you bought. If they have 1000 gdus per gram, then they have about 330 gdus per 300 mg. The important thing is, you need to figure how much bromelain and how many GDUs you are taking with each pill.

Bromelain is not an anti-inflammatory. It is a digestive enzyme aid. It is meant to work as a digestive enzyme when you have food in your stomach. It is not going to help your PF if you take it with food (although it certainly does make your digestive nice -- I can tell you from experience). It works to reduce inflammation when taken with no food in your stomach.

Here is my suggestion: take a little (like 2 pills per day, spaced out) on an empty stomach, and see how you feel. Then, increase dosage to a reasonable amount. Good luck.

Pauline on 8/04/00 at 20:48 (024695)

Wanting to try this too. Has anyone had adverse effects from Bromelain?

Kim B. on 8/04/00 at 21:25 (024696)

This is my understanding of how Bromelain works. It acts as a digestive aid IF it is taken with foods containing protiens, i.e., milk, fish, fats, bacon, etc.. It's as if Protiens activate it's digestive properties. Likewise, it becomes an anti-inflammatory when it is taken away from protiens. Carbohydrates foods can be eaten with it without canceling it's anti-inflammatory benefits. Drinking coffee etc. shoudn't affect it, usless you put cream in the coffee. It's not having it on an empty stomach that makes the difference, it's the protiens, or lack of.

I used to take it just a little while before breakfast, because I was using it as digestive aid. It is very gentle. (I have IBS and currently take 20 mg prilosec per day.) I also have an RX of donnatol extendtabs on hand for spastic colon attacks. I used to take bromelain all the time, sometimes with food, and sometimes I'd take my supplements and get side tracked and not eat until hours later. Bromelain NEVER caused one moment of stomach distress for me. It is actually more gentle than a multiple vitamine. And I was taking the Nature's Plus Ultra Highest Potency Available Bormelain Supplement 1500. It is standardized 900 GDU. The dose was once daily. This was all pre-severe PF. I have never used it strickly for the anti-inflammatory benefits.

Kim B.

Lori E. on 8/04/00 at 21:57 (024697)

I take the Vitamin Shoppe brand of Bromelain 500mg/2000gdu and I found that taking a whole tab is too much for my stomach.( Espcially having to take it on an empty stomach.)My system hasn't been the same since I was taking 800 mg Advil 2-3 time a day for months on end. Now I take a 1/2 tab Bromelain 3x a day and it works well for me. I started taking Bromelain because Vioxx bothers my stomach too. Also when I take Vioxx in combination with my Claritin decongestent it caused my blood pressure to rise. My allergist wasn't too happy with me.
The important thing about Bromelain is the gdus, not so much the mg dosage. Also I read that you need to keep your Bromelain in a cool place, don't keep it in a steamy bathroom or in the kitchen by the stove or on top of the fridge. It looses it's effectiveness when it gets warm.
I definately find that Bromelain works better for me than Vioxx, but I will take the Vioxx if I have missed a few doses of the Bromelain because of having to take it on an empty stomach and I have pain before going to bed or I am running late in the morning. I just read that taking Bromelain in combination with turmeric and flax seed is even more effective. I am going to get some of that next and see if that takes the inflamation down another notch. Good luck!

Beverly on 8/04/00 at 23:30 (024698)

That's good to know. So I can eat with Bromelain if its pure carbohydrates, like a bread and fruit.
Robin, if you are out there reading this, oh queen of Bromelain, what is your opinion?

Beverly

Helene M on 8/05/00 at 08:50 (024699)

A naturopath told me if bromelain causes intestinal upset, it is easily remedied by eating a piece of bread to absorb its action. So I always take it on a completely empty stomach, thinking it will work better. Now I'm wondering which is correct, the info I got or what Kim said about it working just as well with carbohydrates. Kim, please let me know where you got your info. Thanks.

Robin B. on 8/06/00 at 06:10 (024701)

Beverly, I too have a difficult stomach. I have been taking bromelain since July 1999 and have had NO trouble. But -- here is the dosage I take.

I buy the Vitamin Shoppe Brand (about $18 for 300 caps)that are 500 mg each and 300 gdus each. The bottom says 500 mg, 600 gdus -- but the gel dissolving units is figured on a gram, not half a gram -- so that makes each capsule contain 300 gdus.

Three or four times a day I take a capsule on an empty stomach. That means I take 1,500 to 2000 mg per day and 900 to 1,200 gdus per day. I have read that 2000 gdus is considered a serious dosage. I have been fortunate to be helped with considerably less. But -- I take it on an empty stomach. There have been days when I have taken 5 or 6 caps and have suffered no distress.

Check the back label on the pills that you bought. If they have 1000 gdus per gram, then they have about 330 gdus per 300 mg. The important thing is, you need to figure how much bromelain and how many GDUs you are taking with each pill.

Bromelain is not an anti-inflammatory. It is a digestive enzyme aid. It is meant to work as a digestive enzyme when you have food in your stomach. It is not going to help your PF if you take it with food (although it certainly does make your digestive nice -- I can tell you from experience). It works to reduce inflammation when taken with no food in your stomach.

Here is my suggestion: take a little (like 2 pills per day, spaced out) on an empty stomach, and see how you feel. Then, increase dosage to a reasonable amount. Good luck.