Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

PT

Posted by JudyS on 8/04/00 at 20:54 (024705)

Nancy, you were asking if I'd started strengthening in PT yet - I did today. Some of the exercises are targeted only at the base/ball area of my big toe, others are your basic pull/push weights for the entire lower leg and foot area.
This guy again today did some deep massage - he found more knots in my calf muscles than I could believe! And boy oh boy did he work on them! OUCH again! Frankly, in spite of that (he warned me), I really appreciate the fact that he's willing to be aggressive in both the massage and the exercises. I sort of believe that it's that kind of aggressive treatment that the pro athletes get that get them back on the playing field - except they get it daily and we pretty much can't. That deep massage, most of all, I believe could put us all back on the road if we had it every day like they do.
My son and I ran errands and shopped for the rest of the afternoon and I've had just about no soreness till now, late in the day.
I want to say that I think that the conventional treatments are finally paying off for me but I'm scared to death that I'll jinx myself!
Last - he recommended 'contrast' baths for my tootsies. That is, a 30-second soak in warm water, then a 30-second soak in sort-of ice water, alternate for 5 minutes or so. I did that for the first time last nite and my feet ended up feeling brand-new! They just felt loose, happy, carefree (they talk to me, you know).

Re: PT

Nancy S. on 8/03/00 at 14:13 (024556)

Judy, are you launching right into strengthening in PT? I have to stretch and rest (more!!!!) and de-inflame and de-swell first. I'm jealous. Of course, I'm also in deep $*#($*%&^ (trouble) up to my knees, practically, at this point. So you're probably a good few leaps ahead of me -- good luck, and I'd like to continue hearing all about your PT. Are you having any other things done To You there, besides massage? I have these new things coming up and don't know what they are yet, even though I know their names. --Nancy

JudyS on 8/03/00 at 14:59 (024558)

Hi Nancy - no, not really right in to strengthening. He said we have to do the massage a few times first so as not to strengthen things in their present poor position. He did show me an exagerated stride to practice in order to relearn pushing off from ball of foot through toes. Strengthening will start with nothing more than me lifting my own weight up and down with the ball/toe area. I decided to sneak a try this AM - boy am I weak!

Nancy S. on 8/05/00 at 06:04 (024706)

Judy, sounds like PT is already helping? That's great. Keep telling me about strengthening and deep massage, because that lies ahead for me at some point, ok?
Can't do it now. The therapist gave me the simplest strengthening exercise you could imagine last week, and yikes, my left achilles tendon rebelled. The sports med. dr., after testing my strength and feeling all over my feet for pain and hearing that I'd tried the puny little exercise, said, 'I'd bet you didn't get far with it.' He was right.
The deep massage is planned, but can only continue light for now. That's painful enough -- think my feet would explode if she tried deeper now, and the dr. is prescribing only light for I don't know how long. Maybe 3 weeks. I have 6 more weeks of PT coming up.
So you had a good reaction to heat/ice/heat/ice etc. My PT recommended that I try that, and I haven't. Think I will.
Thanks from Nancy. Ok, I'm driving to Mass. now. Really.
P.S. I just got called to jury duty, on Sept. 5, for the first time in my life! Actually, I've always wanted to do that, but will probably have to postpone -- I can't see mself hobbling around downtown in the cast, and taking it off down there three times a day to stretch and ice. And would they give me an extra chair to elevate? The state of Maine pays ten whole dollars a day for jury duty. I think I'd do better right now to wait around here for a barn drop-in to spend $15.

john h on 8/05/00 at 10:31 (024707)

nancy: i was recently on jury duty for 6 months. i was always eliminated because (i think) the preception is that military officers are to rigid in their thinking and are likely to 'hang them high'. wrong!

Nancy S. on 8/03/00 at 14:13 (024556)

Judy, are you launching right into strengthening in PT? I have to stretch and rest (more!!!!) and de-inflame and de-swell first. I'm jealous. Of course, I'm also in deep $*#($*%&^ (trouble) up to my knees, practically, at this point. So you're probably a good few leaps ahead of me -- good luck, and I'd like to continue hearing all about your PT. Are you having any other things done To You there, besides massage? I have these new things coming up and don't know what they are yet, even though I know their names. --Nancy

JudyS on 8/03/00 at 14:59 (024558)

Hi Nancy - no, not really right in to strengthening. He said we have to do the massage a few times first so as not to strengthen things in their present poor position. He did show me an exagerated stride to practice in order to relearn pushing off from ball of foot through toes. Strengthening will start with nothing more than me lifting my own weight up and down with the ball/toe area. I decided to sneak a try this AM - boy am I weak!

Nancy S. on 8/05/00 at 06:04 (024706)

Judy, sounds like PT is already helping? That's great. Keep telling me about strengthening and deep massage, because that lies ahead for me at some point, ok?
Can't do it now. The therapist gave me the simplest strengthening exercise you could imagine last week, and yikes, my left achilles tendon rebelled. The sports med. dr., after testing my strength and feeling all over my feet for pain and hearing that I'd tried the puny little exercise, said, 'I'd bet you didn't get far with it.' He was right.
The deep massage is planned, but can only continue light for now. That's painful enough -- think my feet would explode if she tried deeper now, and the dr. is prescribing only light for I don't know how long. Maybe 3 weeks. I have 6 more weeks of PT coming up.
So you had a good reaction to heat/ice/heat/ice etc. My PT recommended that I try that, and I haven't. Think I will.
Thanks from Nancy. Ok, I'm driving to Mass. now. Really.
P.S. I just got called to jury duty, on Sept. 5, for the first time in my life! Actually, I've always wanted to do that, but will probably have to postpone -- I can't see mself hobbling around downtown in the cast, and taking it off down there three times a day to stretch and ice. And would they give me an extra chair to elevate? The state of Maine pays ten whole dollars a day for jury duty. I think I'd do better right now to wait around here for a barn drop-in to spend $15.

john h on 8/05/00 at 10:31 (024707)

nancy: i was recently on jury duty for 6 months. i was always eliminated because (i think) the preception is that military officers are to rigid in their thinking and are likely to 'hang them high'. wrong!