Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

"Fly to the moon" post got me thinking...

Posted by Kim B on 8/04/00 at 23:01 (024714)

... and now I must vent!

There is more to our kind of PF than the simple diagnosis. The new Physcial Therapist I just started working with casually mentioned that she had PF before. So I quarried her further. Turns out she is a hobbie runner and she had symptoms only for a few months, and only when she ran. How can I have the same diagnosis as her? My life has been turned upside down by MY kind of PF. Her 'hobbie' was affected for awhile.

It's hard to get validation and acceptance when people are so misguided. The PT's mild case, and what pro athletes that are treated with the best, 'spare no expense' fast track solutions are examples.

It's not fair for chronic, debilitating cases to be lumped with those who have a less severe cases or the athletes who have the insider's access to the best treatments plans. My husband hears about these athletes who are back on the court in no time and then, there his wife, still moaning about her feet after all this time. No wonder our families and friends are confused.

Ticked off in Texas,
Kim B.

Re: "Fly to the moon" post got me thinking...

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/05/00 at 12:55 (024720)

There are cases of plantar fasciitis- heel spur pain that are caused by a stress fracture of the heel bone. The best way to determine this is with a three phase bone scan and in addition a mri of the foot and ankle. If you have a stress fracture or what is called a fatigue fracture then you need to have a procedure to stabilize the foot and the introduction of bone stimulator for bone healing. So any one have chronic heel and or mri should have three the above aprroach is they aren't getting any better just getting worse and are in chronic pain.!!!!!

Kim B. on 8/06/00 at 11:05 (024753)

Dr. Z.,

I don't suppose that could be the case where both feet are involved, could it? They didn't start at the same time, left was first, the other.

Regards, Kim B.

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/06/00 at 20:10 (024783)

Most of the time the stress fracture starts with one and then there is delayed treatment and continued activity. The other foot then becomes involved due to compensation and different gait cycle. So you could have different stages of a stress fracture in either foot.

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/05/00 at 12:55 (024720)

There are cases of plantar fasciitis- heel spur pain that are caused by a stress fracture of the heel bone. The best way to determine this is with a three phase bone scan and in addition a mri of the foot and ankle. If you have a stress fracture or what is called a fatigue fracture then you need to have a procedure to stabilize the foot and the introduction of bone stimulator for bone healing. So any one have chronic heel and or mri should have three the above aprroach is they aren't getting any better just getting worse and are in chronic pain.!!!!!

Kim B. on 8/06/00 at 11:05 (024753)

Dr. Z.,

I don't suppose that could be the case where both feet are involved, could it? They didn't start at the same time, left was first, the other.

Regards, Kim B.

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/06/00 at 20:10 (024783)

Most of the time the stress fracture starts with one and then there is delayed treatment and continued activity. The other foot then becomes involved due to compensation and different gait cycle. So you could have different stages of a stress fracture in either foot.