Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Tenderfeet, your post hit home with me

Posted by Helene M on 8/06/00 at 13:00 (024756)

If there are any other single PF'ers out there who would like to share their stories about how they cope with this, please do, as this is a subject we haven't touched on very often on this board. Here's my situation: I, too, do not have a spouse or kids. I live alone, which has made my situation much more difficult, both mentally & physically. When I'm at home, which is most of the time, except when working, and I get on my feet after resting them, I first think hard about all the things I may need to get in each room before I sit down again, since there's no one to fetch for me. Some of you may be mad at me for saying this but I sometimes feel a bit jealous that most of you have spouses around to help! When I wake up in the morning, I've tried to figure out a way to soak my feet in warm water, stretch, then ice, BEFORE I take the first steps. With no one to get the water or ice for me, I would have to crawl to do it. While on my knees, I can't reach the freezer anyway to get the ice. Just one of the little dilemmas of a PF sufferer living solo. PF is particularly hard for a single person who has a strong desire to date and hopefully meet a special person to share life with. I feel that dating is not realistic for me now as I cannot be on my feet for more than a few minutes at a time. Some people have told me it should not matter because it's the person that counts. It does matter. I mean, who wants to meet & date someone who is barely mobile? Even my friends don't come around much anymore. They want someone who can go places & do things with them & I understand that. They know that if we go to dinner, they will have to pick me up & drop me off at the door. And if they want to do another activity after dinner, they know I most likely can't. I also have a fear of going outside now, which I believe someone also expressed not so long ago on this board. My fear is I will set myself back by having to walk too much or stand too long before I find a place to sit.

Re: Tenderfeet, your post hit home with me

john a on 8/07/00 at 16:23 (024842)

Hi. I'm John A. I'm 36. I'm single and I have PF :-)
Since the onset of it in March '99 there has been little improvement --
after a mere few minutes on my feet I'd rather sit down because of pain.
It's worse in the right foot. Luckily, I don't have constant pain, but it can take up to an
hour to subside after 'overdoing it' (15 minutes is all it takes). I'm also an athiest (a belief made all
the more strong by PF), so can't go to God for help. I take a sceptical view of just about
everything that promises a quick fix (all things, not just PF), or professes to solve all your
problems. I question everything, even my own questioning. I do have a
few friends who put up with me anyway, though :-) I also have a saint
of a sister who will go grocery shopping for me if I ask, though I try
not to. I think the universe is a wonder-filled place and am curious
about most everything, which is just about the only thing that's
keeping me alive and kicking, if not currently walking.

Re: Tenderfeet, your post hit home with me

john a on 8/07/00 at 16:23 (024842)

Hi. I'm John A. I'm 36. I'm single and I have PF :-)
Since the onset of it in March '99 there has been little improvement --
after a mere few minutes on my feet I'd rather sit down because of pain.
It's worse in the right foot. Luckily, I don't have constant pain, but it can take up to an
hour to subside after 'overdoing it' (15 minutes is all it takes). I'm also an athiest (a belief made all
the more strong by PF), so can't go to God for help. I take a sceptical view of just about
everything that promises a quick fix (all things, not just PF), or professes to solve all your
problems. I question everything, even my own questioning. I do have a
few friends who put up with me anyway, though :-) I also have a saint
of a sister who will go grocery shopping for me if I ask, though I try
not to. I think the universe is a wonder-filled place and am curious
about most everything, which is just about the only thing that's
keeping me alive and kicking, if not currently walking.