Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Plantar Fascia Release Operation

Posted by Frances D on 8/06/00 at 14:03 (024758)

I am looking for other people who have had this operation and what was their results. I had this operation six years ago and I have constant pain in my feet and ankles. The Plantar Fasciitis is gone but I feel that my feet are permanently damaged. I want to know about other people's experiences and what they did about them.

Re: Plantar Fascia Release Operation

Steve L. on 8/07/00 at 09:42 (024822)

Francis, you are not alone in your frustration. I had surgery in May '99, and it failed. But I would not dare say that without allowing at least a year for proper healing. Second, third, and fourth opinions regarding your condition may indicate a different method of treatment in your case. Good luck, and NEVER give up!

susan g on 8/07/00 at 11:43 (024829)

i had both feet done 7/99 and i'm still in constant pain every day. gosh i thought i was alone !!! it's as if my feet and ankes are going crazy. i'm so frustrated and some days don't know what to do. i'm trying to figure out how to get an impartial 2nd opinion. now my doctor wants to give me cortisone shots in my heels but i won't let him. i know something isn't right but what do i know ??

Frances D on 8/08/00 at 16:14 (024922)

To Susan G. , I went to a second pod three weeks ago and he said that pod's don't do this operation anymore because 'it went out of favor'. Can you imagine that! The shots are a short term fix for a long term problem. I have joined a company called NIKKEN that sells magnetic products and I am trying them out. My husband had a stroke seven years ago and they seem to help him. The new doctor is getting me new orthotics (at $500!). I hope they work. I don't believe there is any permanent solution for our problem. Since the plantar ligiment was cut (mine all the way across) the foot has no strength since the ligiment acts like a bow string in a bow. It stretches and bounces back to support the foot. Also scar tissue developes & causes trouble.

Steve L. on 8/07/00 at 09:42 (024822)

Francis, you are not alone in your frustration. I had surgery in May '99, and it failed. But I would not dare say that without allowing at least a year for proper healing. Second, third, and fourth opinions regarding your condition may indicate a different method of treatment in your case. Good luck, and NEVER give up!

susan g on 8/07/00 at 11:43 (024829)

i had both feet done 7/99 and i'm still in constant pain every day. gosh i thought i was alone !!! it's as if my feet and ankes are going crazy. i'm so frustrated and some days don't know what to do. i'm trying to figure out how to get an impartial 2nd opinion. now my doctor wants to give me cortisone shots in my heels but i won't let him. i know something isn't right but what do i know ??

Frances D on 8/08/00 at 16:14 (024922)

To Susan G. , I went to a second pod three weeks ago and he said that pod's don't do this operation anymore because 'it went out of favor'. Can you imagine that! The shots are a short term fix for a long term problem. I have joined a company called NIKKEN that sells magnetic products and I am trying them out. My husband had a stroke seven years ago and they seem to help him. The new doctor is getting me new orthotics (at $500!). I hope they work. I don't believe there is any permanent solution for our problem. Since the plantar ligiment was cut (mine all the way across) the foot has no strength since the ligiment acts like a bow string in a bow. It stretches and bounces back to support the foot. Also scar tissue developes & causes trouble.