Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

taping

Posted by maria on 8/06/00 at 16:41 (024768)

My foot does feel better when it is taped. When my pod. tapes it, he sprays something on the foot to make the tape adhere better. I have tried many different brands of tape..but nothing seems to stay tight on my foot. Any suggestions??? Thanks.

Re: taping

Kim B. on 8/06/00 at 18:15 (024773)

This is a trick I found, but it can get very expensive so I only do it if I must on very bad days. With the Dr. Scholls' products there is something called Molesksin Plus Padding. It is 'soft cotton flannel padding that can be cut to any size for all day relief of painful corns, calluses, an tender spots'. Since my whole arch can can be a 'tender spot' I use a whole pad (4 5/8 x 3 3/8') on my arch (each arch,I have double PF). I've tried cutting them in half to make them go farther, but I didn't get the same support affect. They come 3 pads to a pack. for about $3.49. They have two thickensses and I found the thin works great.

These don't work out if you are going shoe shopping by the way, they are a put them on and leave them alone kind of foot dressing. If you take your shoes/socks on and off a lot, they start curling up on the ends and are not as comfortable. I wasted more moleskin pads this way.

I keep some on hand just incase I am flaired up bad and nothing else is working. Maybe this will help someone.

Kim B.

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/06/00 at 18:35 (024776)

Go to a sporting goods store and ask for the spray that they use for keeping tape on. If you gave a very nice doctor he can sell you this spray. The spray only costs five-ten dollars. If you really can't find it just call my office and they will sell it to you at what ever we get it at. 1-856-848-3338

Rick R on 8/06/00 at 19:23 (024778)

Maria,

Taping was a daily ritual for me, I couldn't have functioned for many years without it. It was a huge part of my recovery method and continues to play a major role in prevention.

The first step is to use vasaline on the pressure points on the top of my ankle and behind the achilles. Next I use a gauze so that the tape 'stickey' never contacts the skin. The sell a pre-wrap gauze for use with athletic tape which is fine. I use three paper towles still connected in one long sheet. I fold them in half along the long axis. I wrap this around my ankle and begin taping. A small pre-cut piece of tape can be used here just to hold things in place while you fumble for your roll of tape.

Now for the killer, I use construction grade duct tape wraping from under the arch over the top of the foot, around the ankle one time and then around the foot tightly under the arch near the heel. I tape so tightly that I occasionally break the tape. Then tear off the excess towel material. I tape primarily for any running or hiking etc. For daily use I didn't tape that tightly. If I get it too tight around the ankle my achilles lets me know in the worst way. Also keep the pressure limited to the area near the heel.

This is by no means comfortable. I developed this in desperate circumstances. I don't even remember all of the trouble I went through getting used to it but for me it was and is well worth it.

Stretching, strengthening, ibuprofin, ice, heat, and massage have also played major roles in recovery for me. I'd be glad to offer any further information or clarification.

Why duct tape you ask? I started with the athletic tape that the doctor used on me once. It felt great for a couple of hours then it loosened up. Duct tape stays tight longer and is a whole lot cheaper. Also, if it gets wet you can forget the athletic tape.

Good Luck,

Rick

Rock on 8/07/00 at 07:50 (024806)

Rick,

I have been told by numerous marathoners and ultramarathoners that they use DUCT TAPE to tape their feet for PF so they can continue to run high mileage. They claim the duct tape keeps their PF from getting worse. It must work because I still see their names in race results.

Rock.

Sandy on 8/07/00 at 12:26 (024831)

I tried duct tape by accident (actually desperation) this spring while hiking a section of the Appalacian Trail. I had forgotten to pack athetic tape and my foot really started hurting. We always pack duct tape because it can be used for so many things, so I wrapped my foot tightly with a rag and duct tape and hiked 18 miles that day. Now duct tape is always strapped on my pack.

Kim B. on 8/06/00 at 18:15 (024773)

This is a trick I found, but it can get very expensive so I only do it if I must on very bad days. With the Dr. Scholls' products there is something called Molesksin Plus Padding. It is 'soft cotton flannel padding that can be cut to any size for all day relief of painful corns, calluses, an tender spots'. Since my whole arch can can be a 'tender spot' I use a whole pad (4 5/8 x 3 3/8') on my arch (each arch,I have double PF). I've tried cutting them in half to make them go farther, but I didn't get the same support affect. They come 3 pads to a pack. for about $3.49. They have two thickensses and I found the thin works great.

These don't work out if you are going shoe shopping by the way, they are a put them on and leave them alone kind of foot dressing. If you take your shoes/socks on and off a lot, they start curling up on the ends and are not as comfortable. I wasted more moleskin pads this way.

I keep some on hand just incase I am flaired up bad and nothing else is working. Maybe this will help someone.

Kim B.

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/06/00 at 18:35 (024776)

Go to a sporting goods store and ask for the spray that they use for keeping tape on. If you gave a very nice doctor he can sell you this spray. The spray only costs five-ten dollars. If you really can't find it just call my office and they will sell it to you at what ever we get it at. 1-856-848-3338

Rick R on 8/06/00 at 19:23 (024778)

Maria,

Taping was a daily ritual for me, I couldn't have functioned for many years without it. It was a huge part of my recovery method and continues to play a major role in prevention.

The first step is to use vasaline on the pressure points on the top of my ankle and behind the achilles. Next I use a gauze so that the tape 'stickey' never contacts the skin. The sell a pre-wrap gauze for use with athletic tape which is fine. I use three paper towles still connected in one long sheet. I fold them in half along the long axis. I wrap this around my ankle and begin taping. A small pre-cut piece of tape can be used here just to hold things in place while you fumble for your roll of tape.

Now for the killer, I use construction grade duct tape wraping from under the arch over the top of the foot, around the ankle one time and then around the foot tightly under the arch near the heel. I tape so tightly that I occasionally break the tape. Then tear off the excess towel material. I tape primarily for any running or hiking etc. For daily use I didn't tape that tightly. If I get it too tight around the ankle my achilles lets me know in the worst way. Also keep the pressure limited to the area near the heel.

This is by no means comfortable. I developed this in desperate circumstances. I don't even remember all of the trouble I went through getting used to it but for me it was and is well worth it.

Stretching, strengthening, ibuprofin, ice, heat, and massage have also played major roles in recovery for me. I'd be glad to offer any further information or clarification.

Why duct tape you ask? I started with the athletic tape that the doctor used on me once. It felt great for a couple of hours then it loosened up. Duct tape stays tight longer and is a whole lot cheaper. Also, if it gets wet you can forget the athletic tape.

Good Luck,

Rick

Rock on 8/07/00 at 07:50 (024806)

Rick,

I have been told by numerous marathoners and ultramarathoners that they use DUCT TAPE to tape their feet for PF so they can continue to run high mileage. They claim the duct tape keeps their PF from getting worse. It must work because I still see their names in race results.

Rock.

Sandy on 8/07/00 at 12:26 (024831)

I tried duct tape by accident (actually desperation) this spring while hiking a section of the Appalacian Trail. I had forgotten to pack athetic tape and my foot really started hurting. We always pack duct tape because it can be used for so many things, so I wrapped my foot tightly with a rag and duct tape and hiked 18 miles that day. Now duct tape is always strapped on my pack.