Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Heel spur surgery, any comments?

Posted by Essence on 8/06/00 at 21:27 (024786)

Hi. I have had problems with planter f. (heel spurs) for 2 years. I did everything my doctor wanted me to do, but nothing worked so I am having the surgery on the 17 of Aug. Any idea how long I will be off of work? What to expect, pain, discomfort, swelling, etc? ALSO, is it possable to remove a bunion at the same operaton? Any feedback will help me. FEEL free to e-mail me AT_ essence777@webtv.net
Thank you!

Re: Heel spur surgery, any comments?

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/06/00 at 22:15 (024787)

It depends of the method that your doctor is using to perform this operation. With miminial incision plantar approach which is the least invasive procedure available you are talking about complete healing any where from one month to six months. I woul never have multipe procedures done on the same foot at the same session. Depending on the type of job you have . If you stand on your feet alot could be up to eight weeks or more. Sitting within the week. With any procedure any way have pain medication such as demeral or dilaudid available for the firs week if necessary. Rest is very important for the healing. I hope that this is helpful. Good luck and a speedy recovery

Essence on 8/06/00 at 22:58 (024795)

Thank you Doctor, you eased my worries! Thanks again.

Pat M. on 8/07/00 at 05:44 (024800)

Good morning,
I had surgery Aug. 2. Going to work today in a wheelchair. First day back. I am a teacher, so first day back means no kids, yet. There is still some discomfort. I'll know more by the end of today.
Good luck,
Pat M.

john h on 8/07/00 at 09:24 (024817)

i had PF surgery and a chelictomy (much like bunion surgery) and a tarsal tunnel release all at the same time. outpatient. procedures lasted less than 1 hour.

john h on 8/07/00 at 09:33 (024819)

even with my 3 procedures at the same time i was not in much pain. i was in a cast for 10 days and on crutches. went to work part time on 3rd day (crutches suck). stitches out in 10 days and on feet in 14 days and in shoes or birks. if procedure is on your right foot then driving a car is out of it until you get out of the cast. if it is on your left (mine was) then no problem even with crutches.

john h on 8/07/00 at 09:40 (024821)

a number of doctors i have spoken with who perform pf releases have indicated to me that after the surgery you walk out in a surgical shoe with no cast, no crutches. yet, many post about cast, crutches, wheelchairs,etc. what is the deal?

susan G on 8/07/00 at 11:37 (024828)

i had heel spur surgery on both feet plus a bunion removal at same time, biggest mistake of my life, that was 7/15/99. i could not walk, had to crawl in the house on my hands and knees, i'm so angry at doctor but still don't know what to do or how to find an impartial doctor for 2nd opinion. here we are one year later and i'm still in pain, still having problems, this was not the answer for me. just wanted you to be aware that this is not always good.

i'm sorry but these people that say you can walk within a few days are wrong.

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/07/00 at 21:30 (024865)

It you want to end up in a wheel chair do both feet at once. I still remember in my surgical residency program the pain the patient had after two bunions, and two heel spurs, all at the same time.

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/08/00 at 12:59 (024905)

Could you have taken both feet done at the same time. I use to do alot of both feet surgery in my training. I just feel that two heel spurs procedures is too much. Two tts is too much. My associates will do two bunions and ten hammer toe operation together, but then again I do the post-op care. ( hand holding ). And I believe in giving very strong drugs for post-op pain. In my training the patients were in the hospital for one week and we could use demeral and or morphine but on an outpatient surgery you can't do this.

john h on 8/11/00 at 12:24 (025239)

no i would not want two of any procedures on both feet at the same time. i would go bongo confined to bed. also! if the procedure on one foot did not work i would be reluctant to do the other foot. i do not apply this to ESWT as it is a non invasive procedure and from all i have read no one has ever been made worse.

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/06/00 at 22:15 (024787)

It depends of the method that your doctor is using to perform this operation. With miminial incision plantar approach which is the least invasive procedure available you are talking about complete healing any where from one month to six months. I woul never have multipe procedures done on the same foot at the same session. Depending on the type of job you have . If you stand on your feet alot could be up to eight weeks or more. Sitting within the week. With any procedure any way have pain medication such as demeral or dilaudid available for the firs week if necessary. Rest is very important for the healing. I hope that this is helpful. Good luck and a speedy recovery

Essence on 8/06/00 at 22:58 (024795)

Thank you Doctor, you eased my worries! Thanks again.

Pat M. on 8/07/00 at 05:44 (024800)

Good morning,
I had surgery Aug. 2. Going to work today in a wheelchair. First day back. I am a teacher, so first day back means no kids, yet. There is still some discomfort. I'll know more by the end of today.
Good luck,
Pat M.

john h on 8/07/00 at 09:24 (024817)

i had PF surgery and a chelictomy (much like bunion surgery) and a tarsal tunnel release all at the same time. outpatient. procedures lasted less than 1 hour.

john h on 8/07/00 at 09:33 (024819)

even with my 3 procedures at the same time i was not in much pain. i was in a cast for 10 days and on crutches. went to work part time on 3rd day (crutches suck). stitches out in 10 days and on feet in 14 days and in shoes or birks. if procedure is on your right foot then driving a car is out of it until you get out of the cast. if it is on your left (mine was) then no problem even with crutches.

john h on 8/07/00 at 09:40 (024821)

a number of doctors i have spoken with who perform pf releases have indicated to me that after the surgery you walk out in a surgical shoe with no cast, no crutches. yet, many post about cast, crutches, wheelchairs,etc. what is the deal?

susan G on 8/07/00 at 11:37 (024828)

i had heel spur surgery on both feet plus a bunion removal at same time, biggest mistake of my life, that was 7/15/99. i could not walk, had to crawl in the house on my hands and knees, i'm so angry at doctor but still don't know what to do or how to find an impartial doctor for 2nd opinion. here we are one year later and i'm still in pain, still having problems, this was not the answer for me. just wanted you to be aware that this is not always good.

i'm sorry but these people that say you can walk within a few days are wrong.

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/07/00 at 21:30 (024865)

It you want to end up in a wheel chair do both feet at once. I still remember in my surgical residency program the pain the patient had after two bunions, and two heel spurs, all at the same time.

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/08/00 at 12:59 (024905)

Could you have taken both feet done at the same time. I use to do alot of both feet surgery in my training. I just feel that two heel spurs procedures is too much. Two tts is too much. My associates will do two bunions and ten hammer toe operation together, but then again I do the post-op care. ( hand holding ). And I believe in giving very strong drugs for post-op pain. In my training the patients were in the hospital for one week and we could use demeral and or morphine but on an outpatient surgery you can't do this.

john h on 8/11/00 at 12:24 (025239)

no i would not want two of any procedures on both feet at the same time. i would go bongo confined to bed. also! if the procedure on one foot did not work i would be reluctant to do the other foot. i do not apply this to ESWT as it is a non invasive procedure and from all i have read no one has ever been made worse.