Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Flexor Hallucis Longus Tendonitis

Posted by MattL on 8/07/00 at 09:12 (024814)

I am a long-time pf sufferer. Last week I saw an orthopaedic surgeon who suggested that my condition might also include flexor hallucis longus (fhl)tendonitis. The fhl is a tendon that runs from the big toe up the inside of the foot to the ankle. Evidently, sometimes tendonitis of the fhl mimics pf or is present in addition to pf. In my case the inflammation/tenderness is not only in the heel area but up the inside of the fascia-area away from the heel. So maybe this makes sense. The surgeon gave me a stretch to try. The fhl can also be released by surgery.

I was wondering if anyone else has had this diagnosis suggested?

Re: Flexor Hallucis Longus Tendonitis

john h on 8/07/00 at 09:21 (024816)

i never had this diagnosis but makes a lot of sense. my pf problem is along the band of fascia from the great toe to the heel. most of my pain is where the fascia from the big toe connects to the heel. i sometimes find pain all along this band of fascia. having hallux limitus (great toe 2nd joint will not flex up very much due to bone spur) probably has prevented this band of fascia from stretching and thus leading to PF. this condition came on just prior to pf.. releasing this band of fascia and more is generally what is done in PF surgery. i thing 50% or more of fascia is generally released. In my PF surgery only about 15% was released and i can feel with my hands that the fascia is still as tight on the foot that had surgery as the one that did not.

JudyS on 8/07/00 at 10:03 (024824)

me me me! (love that word!) Hi Matt - I've had PF for 2.5 years - it's slowing getting better but, because I created a whole new stride to acommodate the PF, I developed the same tendonitis as you! I just started PT for it. What's your stretch?

Mike W on 8/07/00 at 10:51 (024826)

Hello Matt,

I am the Principal of Personal Foot Trainers which is one of Heelspurs.com's products.

I would be interested in what stretch your doctor advised.

From your descripition I would guess that you could also have problems with your Flexor Hallcius Brevis muscle and tendon.

You do not want to stretch this tendon (or any tendon for that matter) you want to stretch the related muscle. The FHL muscle is actually located above your ankle in the calf region.

The FHL muscle functions are to flex the top of the big toe down and helps to plantar flex the foot. Stretching is not enough, strengthening it is also very important. You also have an Extensor Hallcius Longus and Brevis Muscle that should not be ignored. It extends the top of your big toe and helps to dorsiflex your feet.

My Personal Foot Trainers allow anyone the ability to improve the strength and flexibility of every muscle in the foot and legs.

I would try to improve the strength and flexibility first then ESWT then surgery.

I hope this information helps.

Regards,
Mike Wilmot
Physical Therapist, Principal Personal Foot Trainers,
Email (email removed)

AmyM on 8/07/00 at 11:35 (024827)

Dear Matt
I get confused by flex and extensor, I can never decide if that means toes sticking up or down. Anyway, my big toe sticks up all the time, its very difficult to straighten it and I certainly couldn't walk with it straight. I can't remember if pf or this came first ( i've had trouble walking for ten years). I would be interested in the streches you were given

AmyM

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/07/00 at 17:20 (024848)

Usually it is the Posterior Tibial tendon that runs along side of the ankle bone. A weak or torn Posteior Tibial tendon can cause plantar fasciitis. So can a weak Flexor Digitorium Breves feel like plantar fasciitis. I would would first do the personal trainer excercises. They are great for weak and poor tendons of the foot and lower leg such as the FHB and PT tendons. I have never seen the Flexor digitorim longus cause plantar fasciitis along. It is usually the brevis and the posterior tibial tendon

john h on 8/07/00 at 09:21 (024816)

i never had this diagnosis but makes a lot of sense. my pf problem is along the band of fascia from the great toe to the heel. most of my pain is where the fascia from the big toe connects to the heel. i sometimes find pain all along this band of fascia. having hallux limitus (great toe 2nd joint will not flex up very much due to bone spur) probably has prevented this band of fascia from stretching and thus leading to PF. this condition came on just prior to pf.. releasing this band of fascia and more is generally what is done in PF surgery. i thing 50% or more of fascia is generally released. In my PF surgery only about 15% was released and i can feel with my hands that the fascia is still as tight on the foot that had surgery as the one that did not.

JudyS on 8/07/00 at 10:03 (024824)

me me me! (love that word!) Hi Matt - I've had PF for 2.5 years - it's slowing getting better but, because I created a whole new stride to acommodate the PF, I developed the same tendonitis as you! I just started PT for it. What's your stretch?

Mike W on 8/07/00 at 10:51 (024826)

Hello Matt,

I am the Principal of Personal Foot Trainers which is one of Heelspurs.com's products.

I would be interested in what stretch your doctor advised.

From your descripition I would guess that you could also have problems with your Flexor Hallcius Brevis muscle and tendon.

You do not want to stretch this tendon (or any tendon for that matter) you want to stretch the related muscle. The FHL muscle is actually located above your ankle in the calf region.

The FHL muscle functions are to flex the top of the big toe down and helps to plantar flex the foot. Stretching is not enough, strengthening it is also very important. You also have an Extensor Hallcius Longus and Brevis Muscle that should not be ignored. It extends the top of your big toe and helps to dorsiflex your feet.

My Personal Foot Trainers allow anyone the ability to improve the strength and flexibility of every muscle in the foot and legs.

I would try to improve the strength and flexibility first then ESWT then surgery.

I hope this information helps.

Regards,
Mike Wilmot
Physical Therapist, Principal Personal Foot Trainers,
Email (email removed)

AmyM on 8/07/00 at 11:35 (024827)

Dear Matt
I get confused by flex and extensor, I can never decide if that means toes sticking up or down. Anyway, my big toe sticks up all the time, its very difficult to straighten it and I certainly couldn't walk with it straight. I can't remember if pf or this came first ( i've had trouble walking for ten years). I would be interested in the streches you were given

AmyM

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/07/00 at 17:20 (024848)

Usually it is the Posterior Tibial tendon that runs along side of the ankle bone. A weak or torn Posteior Tibial tendon can cause plantar fasciitis. So can a weak Flexor Digitorium Breves feel like plantar fasciitis. I would would first do the personal trainer excercises. They are great for weak and poor tendons of the foot and lower leg such as the FHB and PT tendons. I have never seen the Flexor digitorim longus cause plantar fasciitis along. It is usually the brevis and the posterior tibial tendon