Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

How would describe your pain

Posted by MattL on 8/07/00 at 14:46 (024836)

In what areas does it hurt? Is it in specific places? How do you differentiate the fhl pain from pf pain?

Re: How would describe your pain

JudyS on 8/07/00 at 18:34 (024853)

Matt, my PF pain is clearly at the heel and in the Plantar (along the bottom of my foot, more or less), my tendonitis pain is pretty much at the highest point in the arch. My physical therapist was able to pinpoint it precisely and told me it's in the bone joint and muscle that controls the big toe. Also, I have absolutely no, make that NO, strength in my big toe muscles - both feet. When the PT tells me to push or pull against his restraint, I can't even feel the muscle, much less flex it!
Mike W - I took the PFT to PT today to show him - the problem we are having with it is in getting it to completely isolate only the very top joint/section of the big toe. Haven't been able to do that.

Mike W on 8/08/00 at 10:37 (024893)

Hello Judy,

Can you flex your big toe down and then back up at all?

I do not understand 'problem getting it to completely isolate only the very top joint of the big toe. Does this mean you are not able to place the PFT on this position or that once you get it there the toe joint bends back? If bending back is your problem then simply back off and move the the big toe and only apply a small amount of resistance so it does not bend back. If you do this then it should gradually improve.

From your description I would agree with Dr. Z that your FDB is probably weak and the positon at the base of your big toe needs strengthening as well.

I have seen several cases of virtually no strength in these muscles improve dramatically with consistent use and patience.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Mike Wilmot

JudyS on 8/08/00 at 11:35 (024895)

Mike - thank you so much for your prompt reply.
I have no trouble flexing the big toe at it's 'base' joint and the PFT is fine for that. What I'm unable to do is bend the big toe at it's own 'middle' joint - I have no muscle strength for that and my PT and I couldn't figure out how to use the PFT to isolate just that upper half of the toe.

JudyS on 8/07/00 at 18:34 (024853)

Matt, my PF pain is clearly at the heel and in the Plantar (along the bottom of my foot, more or less), my tendonitis pain is pretty much at the highest point in the arch. My physical therapist was able to pinpoint it precisely and told me it's in the bone joint and muscle that controls the big toe. Also, I have absolutely no, make that NO, strength in my big toe muscles - both feet. When the PT tells me to push or pull against his restraint, I can't even feel the muscle, much less flex it!
Mike W - I took the PFT to PT today to show him - the problem we are having with it is in getting it to completely isolate only the very top joint/section of the big toe. Haven't been able to do that.

Mike W on 8/08/00 at 10:37 (024893)

Hello Judy,

Can you flex your big toe down and then back up at all?

I do not understand 'problem getting it to completely isolate only the very top joint of the big toe. Does this mean you are not able to place the PFT on this position or that once you get it there the toe joint bends back? If bending back is your problem then simply back off and move the the big toe and only apply a small amount of resistance so it does not bend back. If you do this then it should gradually improve.

From your description I would agree with Dr. Z that your FDB is probably weak and the positon at the base of your big toe needs strengthening as well.

I have seen several cases of virtually no strength in these muscles improve dramatically with consistent use and patience.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Mike Wilmot

JudyS on 8/08/00 at 11:35 (024895)

Mike - thank you so much for your prompt reply.
I have no trouble flexing the big toe at it's 'base' joint and the PFT is fine for that. What I'm unable to do is bend the big toe at it's own 'middle' joint - I have no muscle strength for that and my PT and I couldn't figure out how to use the PFT to isolate just that upper half of the toe.