Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Orthowave FDA study

Posted by Barbara on 8/07/00 at 18:46 (024855)

I had my first FDA treatment with the Orthowave at Montefiore Medical Center in the Bronx on my tennis elbow. It didn't go to good. I received a local injection of lidocane in the elbow that hurt. Then they began the treatment. It hurt like hell! I guess I received the real thing instead of the placebo. Well, it hurt sooooo much, he had to reduce the intensity, and then I literally almost passed out. He then had to stop the procedure half way through. It turns out that I didn't have dinner last night (wasn't hungry) and I didn't have breakfast this morning (I never have breakfast) and I didn't have lunch either (I left my office before 12 to get there and I usually eat around 1:30 so I decided to eat lunch after the procedure). Well, that caused my sugar levels to go haywire and the pain of the treatment made it worse. He told me that I can start over again next Monday, but I must have breakfast and lunch and load up on carbs.

I felt really stupid, but I also feel happy knowing I probably (very probably) received the real treatment. I can't believe they can make a placebo that painfull. So, I'm back there next Monday and then 2 weeks after that and hopefully I will finally have my elbow back again. It's very limiting not having an elbow.

Re: Orthowave FDA study

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/08/00 at 06:37 (024877)

I have found that it is better to start at a lower power setting and then increase. The shock wave will create an anesthesia in addition to the local .The area has to get use to the shock wave pressure sensation. So a little lower power for about 30-60 shocks and then increase the power.

Re: Orthowave FDA study

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/08/00 at 06:37 (024877)

I have found that it is better to start at a lower power setting and then increase. The shock wave will create an anesthesia in addition to the local .The area has to get use to the shock wave pressure sensation. So a little lower power for about 30-60 shocks and then increase the power.