Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

What kind of pain meds?

Posted by Essence on 8/08/00 at 08:14 (024884)

I wonder what kind of pain meds my doctor will give me considering Im in recovery?

Re: What kind of pain meds?

BJC on 8/08/00 at 09:04 (024886)

I had EPF in January. The nurses told me I would have a lot of pain, and to start taking medication at the slightest tinge. Well, it was a piece of cake! Tylenol would have been sufficient, although I had been prescribed Percoset. I can't imagine you would need Demerol or anything like that. After my surgery I did not have crutches or a wheelchair (did wear a surgical boot whenever up and around until I got back in a tennis shoe a week later), but was permitted to walk to the bathroom, shower, etc. (up for 5 minutes at a time the first week). While there was some pain, it was bearable. Each dr. has his preference, so follow his directions. I am very glad I had my surgery. Although not 100%, I am able to be on my feet all day and do all the activities I want. Just wish I could wear regular shoes without inserts, but am grateful for the improvment I got. Even after 6+ months I continue to improve, so there is always hope. Good luck to you - you will do fine!

Re: What kind of pain meds?

BJC on 8/08/00 at 09:04 (024886)

I had EPF in January. The nurses told me I would have a lot of pain, and to start taking medication at the slightest tinge. Well, it was a piece of cake! Tylenol would have been sufficient, although I had been prescribed Percoset. I can't imagine you would need Demerol or anything like that. After my surgery I did not have crutches or a wheelchair (did wear a surgical boot whenever up and around until I got back in a tennis shoe a week later), but was permitted to walk to the bathroom, shower, etc. (up for 5 minutes at a time the first week). While there was some pain, it was bearable. Each dr. has his preference, so follow his directions. I am very glad I had my surgery. Although not 100%, I am able to be on my feet all day and do all the activities I want. Just wish I could wear regular shoes without inserts, but am grateful for the improvment I got. Even after 6+ months I continue to improve, so there is always hope. Good luck to you - you will do fine!