Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

ESWT Progress Reports

Posted by john h on 8/08/00 at 12:02 (024898)

on many of the patient progress reports the patients list a pain level of '10' before treatment. my idea of a pain level '10' is a kidney stone (which i once had) or perhaps a lady having a baby. my pain level i would describe as a '5'. the fact that it is unrelenting and keeps you from your normal daily activities is the killer over the long haul. maybe these people have never suffered any worse pain than PF. Seems hard to believe.

Re: ESWT Progress Reports

Scott R on 8/08/00 at 12:20 (024899)

Dr. Z is sending me signed copies of the patient reports. The majority being done right now are through the mail, so that Dr. Z isn't in the presence of the patient to influence their answers.

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/08/00 at 12:42 (024900)

Do you think that the $1,000,000 check with the survey might make the patient's pf go away. One of the problems that we are having with a few survey's is that the patient's are filling out the pain relief level wrong . For example if they are an 8 satisfaction they are putting down high current pain levels 9-10. We are calling the patients to confirm. In addtion some are insertional calcified achilles tendonitis. I will mark in the survey if its a achilles tendon and not a heel spur treatment.

Scott R on 8/08/00 at 12:57 (024904)

Dr Z,
Thanks for mentioning these problems with the patients and the form. There could be a large number of patients using it and I need to get the bugs worked out. I'm going to add a field to keep track of what ailment was treated with the ESWT. I'm not restricting the reports to heel pain, but people will be able to view reports for their particular condition. Plantar Fasciitis, tennis elbow, and insertional calcified achilles tendonitis. What other conditions? Isn;t there a shorter phrase that can be used for the last one?

Nancy S. on 8/08/00 at 12:59 (024906)

Gee, John, you make me wish I had your brand of PF. At its worst, my pain was not a 10 all day, but I'd rate it a 10 upon getting up and then after being on the foot for half an hour or more. For months it was like a knife in my foot. Some mornings I'd stand up and keel right over, and it would take me ten minutes to get out of the bedroom (and the bedroom is not large -- about 8 steps to the door).
I have had other very bad pain in my life. I had pneumonia so bad that it caused terrible pain in the back of my lung, and I had was throwing up and having diarrhea due to the pain. (At first in the ER they did suspect a kidney stone.) This is just one example. PF at its worst has been as bad as that for me.
No wonder you can qualify as a PF slave!

Scott R on 8/08/00 at 14:22 (024913)

Dr. Z, I need to know which patients on the list are PF and which are CAT. There is a new field for this on the form.

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/08/00 at 15:13 (024915)

Achilles Tendonitis will work.

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/08/00 at 15:18 (024916)

EDward Dimarco is CAT. The rest are all PF.

john h on 8/08/00 at 16:13 (024921)

nancy: with that big ole smile on your face in that picture you look very contented to me.

john h on 8/08/00 at 16:15 (024924)

i have no doubt that when a patient says he/she has a pain level of 10 that is what they are feeling.

Nancy S. on 8/08/00 at 16:33 (024927)

Yes John, but that was after the PF pain went quite low and right before the AT zoomed up -- and Judy was here, which would put a smile on anyone's face!
By the way, I would rate the AT pain at about a 4 or 5, even though it is more constant than PF and affects both my feet and lower legs. There's no comparison (for me) to the excruciating pain of PF at its worst. But I wouldn't want a kidney stone, either! Who wants any of this stuff? I swore I would age gracefully, but I don't think I'm succeeding yet.
--Nancy

Scott R on 8/08/00 at 12:20 (024899)

Dr. Z is sending me signed copies of the patient reports. The majority being done right now are through the mail, so that Dr. Z isn't in the presence of the patient to influence their answers.

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/08/00 at 12:42 (024900)

Do you think that the $1,000,000 check with the survey might make the patient's pf go away. One of the problems that we are having with a few survey's is that the patient's are filling out the pain relief level wrong . For example if they are an 8 satisfaction they are putting down high current pain levels 9-10. We are calling the patients to confirm. In addtion some are insertional calcified achilles tendonitis. I will mark in the survey if its a achilles tendon and not a heel spur treatment.

Scott R on 8/08/00 at 12:57 (024904)

Dr Z,
Thanks for mentioning these problems with the patients and the form. There could be a large number of patients using it and I need to get the bugs worked out. I'm going to add a field to keep track of what ailment was treated with the ESWT. I'm not restricting the reports to heel pain, but people will be able to view reports for their particular condition. Plantar Fasciitis, tennis elbow, and insertional calcified achilles tendonitis. What other conditions? Isn;t there a shorter phrase that can be used for the last one?

Nancy S. on 8/08/00 at 12:59 (024906)

Gee, John, you make me wish I had your brand of PF. At its worst, my pain was not a 10 all day, but I'd rate it a 10 upon getting up and then after being on the foot for half an hour or more. For months it was like a knife in my foot. Some mornings I'd stand up and keel right over, and it would take me ten minutes to get out of the bedroom (and the bedroom is not large -- about 8 steps to the door).
I have had other very bad pain in my life. I had pneumonia so bad that it caused terrible pain in the back of my lung, and I had was throwing up and having diarrhea due to the pain. (At first in the ER they did suspect a kidney stone.) This is just one example. PF at its worst has been as bad as that for me.
No wonder you can qualify as a PF slave!

Scott R on 8/08/00 at 14:22 (024913)

Dr. Z, I need to know which patients on the list are PF and which are CAT. There is a new field for this on the form.

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/08/00 at 15:13 (024915)

Achilles Tendonitis will work.

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/08/00 at 15:18 (024916)

EDward Dimarco is CAT. The rest are all PF.

john h on 8/08/00 at 16:13 (024921)

nancy: with that big ole smile on your face in that picture you look very contented to me.

john h on 8/08/00 at 16:15 (024924)

i have no doubt that when a patient says he/she has a pain level of 10 that is what they are feeling.

Nancy S. on 8/08/00 at 16:33 (024927)

Yes John, but that was after the PF pain went quite low and right before the AT zoomed up -- and Judy was here, which would put a smile on anyone's face!
By the way, I would rate the AT pain at about a 4 or 5, even though it is more constant than PF and affects both my feet and lower legs. There's no comparison (for me) to the excruciating pain of PF at its worst. But I wouldn't want a kidney stone, either! Who wants any of this stuff? I swore I would age gracefully, but I don't think I'm succeeding yet.
--Nancy