Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Hopefully cast is OFF tomorrow

Posted by KarenS on 8/09/00 at 15:13 (024986)

Well people: It's been a long six weeks since surgery for a heel spur removal and an open release, but by tomorrow this damn cast should be off. It's been a LONG haul and I can't wait to get it off.

What are some of the things that I will experience when it does come off? I hate surprizes!!!

Thanks for any info from you fellow cast wearers.

Karen

Re: Hopefully cast is OFF tomorrow

Sharie H on 8/09/00 at 16:19 (024995)

Karen,

Dear friend, I have been sending prayers your way daily for that cast to get the heck off you.. if they don't do what I prayed for they are in BIIIIIIG twouble!! : ) I can't wait to know... be sure to let us all know ASAP please.

Hugs
Sharie

Fred on 8/09/00 at 18:24 (025010)

Karen, I beat you by one day. My cast came off today after about 5 weeks. The sole of my foot feels a little sore when I walk and my ankle is stiff. I think this is all to be expected after 5 weeks of immobilization and will go away in a short time. I am beginning to do stretching exercises, which should help, combined with custom orthotics, walking and swimming. Good luck tomorrow!

Re: Hopefully cast is OFF tomorrow (for Fred)

KarenS on 8/09/00 at 20:14 (025024)

Dear Fred: So what did you have done? Were you able to put on a shoe right away? Could you walk or still use crutches? How was your pain level when you sttod on the foot?

Sorry about all the questions but I'm dying to know.

Thanks...Karen

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/09/00 at 22:51 (025048)

You need to discuss with the doctor a P. T. program after having a hard cast on your foot and lower leg for six weeks. The legs and foot muscles will be weak and need the best P.T. program that you can find. I will go to a professional PT.

Fred on 8/10/00 at 01:16 (025053)

Karen, For the past 5 weeks I have worn a hard cast and have also been taking the NSAID Celebrex after trying about everything but surgery (Cortisone shots, 4-5 different NSAIDs which I didn't tolerate, taping, othhotics costing from about $5 to $300, walking casts, rest, ice, etc., etc.) to cure PF which I have had since early 1999.

This afternoon after the cast was removed I was able to put on a shoe with a custom orthotic. It was tight because my foot had swollen a bit. I was able to walk because I have been in a weight bearing fiberglass cast and haven't had to use crutches. The pain level hasn't been bad and I think it is more from being in the cast (my ankle is a little weak and initially the sole of my foot felt a little tingly (is tingly a word?)) than from PF. Tonight it is a little sore, but I think the soreness will be gone in a few days. I trust and hope that the PF is gone.

My podiatrist, a terrific doctor who was referred to me by Laurie R., told me to take it easy and not walk too much. He said to take Celebrex and use ice if my foot bothers me. I am going to begin stretching exercises tomorrow. They were very helpful in the past. I also plan to use a night splint for awhile until I am sure everything is okay.

I realize that you had a much more serious problem than me and that it should take you longer to heal, but I hope you recovery is speedy and complete. Remember that a vast majority of people get over PF!

Sharie H on 8/09/00 at 16:19 (024995)

Karen,

Dear friend, I have been sending prayers your way daily for that cast to get the heck off you.. if they don't do what I prayed for they are in BIIIIIIG twouble!! : ) I can't wait to know... be sure to let us all know ASAP please.

Hugs
Sharie

Fred on 8/09/00 at 18:24 (025010)

Karen, I beat you by one day. My cast came off today after about 5 weeks. The sole of my foot feels a little sore when I walk and my ankle is stiff. I think this is all to be expected after 5 weeks of immobilization and will go away in a short time. I am beginning to do stretching exercises, which should help, combined with custom orthotics, walking and swimming. Good luck tomorrow!

KarenS on 8/09/00 at 20:14 (025024)

Dear Fred: So what did you have done? Were you able to put on a shoe right away? Could you walk or still use crutches? How was your pain level when you sttod on the foot?

Sorry about all the questions but I'm dying to know.

Thanks...Karen

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/09/00 at 22:51 (025048)

You need to discuss with the doctor a P. T. program after having a hard cast on your foot and lower leg for six weeks. The legs and foot muscles will be weak and need the best P.T. program that you can find. I will go to a professional PT.

Fred on 8/10/00 at 01:16 (025053)

Karen, For the past 5 weeks I have worn a hard cast and have also been taking the NSAID Celebrex after trying about everything but surgery (Cortisone shots, 4-5 different NSAIDs which I didn't tolerate, taping, othhotics costing from about $5 to $300, walking casts, rest, ice, etc., etc.) to cure PF which I have had since early 1999.

This afternoon after the cast was removed I was able to put on a shoe with a custom orthotic. It was tight because my foot had swollen a bit. I was able to walk because I have been in a weight bearing fiberglass cast and haven't had to use crutches. The pain level hasn't been bad and I think it is more from being in the cast (my ankle is a little weak and initially the sole of my foot felt a little tingly (is tingly a word?)) than from PF. Tonight it is a little sore, but I think the soreness will be gone in a few days. I trust and hope that the PF is gone.

My podiatrist, a terrific doctor who was referred to me by Laurie R., told me to take it easy and not walk too much. He said to take Celebrex and use ice if my foot bothers me. I am going to begin stretching exercises tomorrow. They were very helpful in the past. I also plan to use a night splint for awhile until I am sure everything is okay.

I realize that you had a much more serious problem than me and that it should take you longer to heal, but I hope you recovery is speedy and complete. Remember that a vast majority of people get over PF!