Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

I am having endoscopic planter fasciotomy.......

Posted by Essence on 8/09/00 at 19:33 (025015)

I found out today what kind of operation will be done-the endoscopic way. My doctor informed me about it, but I was kind-of in a scared sence of shock ( I knew surgery was going to be done.) So I did'nt remember all she said. I would be grateful to learn a bit about it. Such as, Will I be in much pain later in the day? Will I have to use crutches? Any comments would be greatly apprieated. Thank you.

Re: I am having endoscopic planter fasciotomy.......

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/09/00 at 22:48 (025046)

There are journal articles on this site that will help you with how the procedure is done. The most important thing is to rest your foot after the procedure. Some patients will have severe pain with this most will have moderate type of pain. Make the doctor give you something strong to have available just in case. The studies show that you heal better in a removal cast boot for three weeks. You should be able to place weight on the foot the next day. You are going to hear alot of great sucess stories from the board and some very poor results from Endoscopic plantar fasciotomy. Good luck and you have this board to help you out . Be prepared for up to six months for complete healing painfree in some cases.

BJC on 8/10/00 at 09:05 (025064)

I had this surgery in January, and it was relatively easy. I did not need much pain medication. My foot was injected (while I was asleep, thank goodness!) to numb it at 8:00 am, and it stayed numb until midnight. I only expected it to be numb a few hours, and initially thought a nerve had been cut! So, the first day was quite comfortable. I was allowed to walk with a surgical boot on to the bathroom, etc., and kept ice on it for 48 hours. I had no pain except when walking. My husband assisted me for the first 2 days, but after that I could slowly walk with minimal discomfort. I was given percoset, but truthfully did not need it. I did use 2 tablets because I had a migraine, which was much more painful than my foot. I was not to be on my feet for more than 5 minutes for 2 weeks (except to shower), and I followed all instructions. It's been 7 months, and I continue to improve. I wear orthotics in tennis shoes, and Birks (and Birks wanna-be's). I would not hesitate to have this surgery done again. Good luck - you will do fine!

BOONY L on 8/10/00 at 11:49 (025090)

CURIOUS,WHY AREN'T YOU OPTING FOR ESWT THERAPY?

T. Hurst on 8/10/00 at 14:56 (025119)

I had epf surgery on both feet on 7/26/00 and I am very happy with my progress (albeit it is too early to know whether there will be any down side). I've been updating my progress on the surgery message board. I'm under 'T. Hurst....Kentucky'.

john hto m on 8/10/00 at 15:19 (025127)

to make sure you know the surgical options there is Endoscopic which you are opting for. there is the open procedure which most orthopedic surgeons do. there is Minimal Invasive Surgery (MIS) which Dr Z and many other do. If available i would try ESWT first but then again not all can afford the cost and it in most cases it is not covered by insurance.

Re: 2 EPF Surgeries, 3 Neuromas Removed, 2 Stress Fractures

JudyS on 8/11/00 at 02:05 (025188)

Nancy - your message, as far as your current status, is very good news! But wow, what a price to pay. I think you get Princessdom by default!

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/09/00 at 22:48 (025046)

There are journal articles on this site that will help you with how the procedure is done. The most important thing is to rest your foot after the procedure. Some patients will have severe pain with this most will have moderate type of pain. Make the doctor give you something strong to have available just in case. The studies show that you heal better in a removal cast boot for three weeks. You should be able to place weight on the foot the next day. You are going to hear alot of great sucess stories from the board and some very poor results from Endoscopic plantar fasciotomy. Good luck and you have this board to help you out . Be prepared for up to six months for complete healing painfree in some cases.

BJC on 8/10/00 at 09:05 (025064)

I had this surgery in January, and it was relatively easy. I did not need much pain medication. My foot was injected (while I was asleep, thank goodness!) to numb it at 8:00 am, and it stayed numb until midnight. I only expected it to be numb a few hours, and initially thought a nerve had been cut! So, the first day was quite comfortable. I was allowed to walk with a surgical boot on to the bathroom, etc., and kept ice on it for 48 hours. I had no pain except when walking. My husband assisted me for the first 2 days, but after that I could slowly walk with minimal discomfort. I was given percoset, but truthfully did not need it. I did use 2 tablets because I had a migraine, which was much more painful than my foot. I was not to be on my feet for more than 5 minutes for 2 weeks (except to shower), and I followed all instructions. It's been 7 months, and I continue to improve. I wear orthotics in tennis shoes, and Birks (and Birks wanna-be's). I would not hesitate to have this surgery done again. Good luck - you will do fine!

BOONY L on 8/10/00 at 11:49 (025090)

CURIOUS,WHY AREN'T YOU OPTING FOR ESWT THERAPY?

T. Hurst on 8/10/00 at 14:56 (025119)

I had epf surgery on both feet on 7/26/00 and I am very happy with my progress (albeit it is too early to know whether there will be any down side). I've been updating my progress on the surgery message board. I'm under 'T. Hurst....Kentucky'.

john hto m on 8/10/00 at 15:19 (025127)

to make sure you know the surgical options there is Endoscopic which you are opting for. there is the open procedure which most orthopedic surgeons do. there is Minimal Invasive Surgery (MIS) which Dr Z and many other do. If available i would try ESWT first but then again not all can afford the cost and it in most cases it is not covered by insurance.

Re: 2 EPF Surgeries, 3 Neuromas Removed, 2 Stress Fractures

JudyS on 8/11/00 at 02:05 (025188)

Nancy - your message, as far as your current status, is very good news! But wow, what a price to pay. I think you get Princessdom by default!