Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Calling Pat M.!

Posted by Nancy S. on 8/10/00 at 06:48 (025059)

Pat, how are you doing?? Please update us, been thinking of you.
--Nancy

Re: Calling Pat M.!

Pat M. on 8/10/00 at 16:19 (025136)

Hi Nancy and everyone,
I'm still here. I read everyday, but that is about all of my energy that I have left when I get home. I have to say that I have read some verrrry interesting things lately.
I'm doing o.k. School is really taking its toll on me though. I thought it would be a piece of cake to just be pushed around in a wheelchair all day. Well, it's not. I'm not really sure whether I can do it or not. These first two days with the kiddos are really important to me. I didn't want them to start off with a sub., but I am seriously considering taking off a couple of days at the first of next week.
The doc removed my stitches, but left my foot totally open. I have put my bandage around it during the day for protection, but when I get home (even though I sit in the wheelchair all day) My foot is swollen quite a bit. It doesn't hurt though. He said that I was doing very well, but we won't really know for a couple of more weeks. That is when he says that I can put weight on it.
Thanks for asking. Like I said I am keeping up with everyone here. I've just been sort of lazy about posting. I know one thing, a person must really be in good shape for this crutch and wheelchair thing. It is tough. It really makes me appreciate all of those out there who are using these things permanently. It gives me a new perspective on things.
Looking forward to easier days. Just two weeks to go. (I hope, I hope, I hope) Have a good day everybody.
Pat M.

JudyS on 8/10/00 at 16:35 (025137)

Oh Pat my heart goes out to you! Having to go back to school now must be really trying. I have several friends who are elementary school teachers and I know how important it is to bond and to provide consistency right away. Not to mention that starting another year has all it's own stresses and pressures!
What can you do when you get home to REALLY give yourself a sense of peace and reward? Is there someone there who can treat you like a princess for a few more weeks? Let me talk to him.....

Beverly on 8/10/00 at 17:48 (025148)

I agree, she needs princess treatment. Call in hubby, Daddy, sister, boyfriend, brother, best friend, anyone... Pat, I can't remember where you are from. If you are not used to 'playing princess,' this would be a good time to learn. Nothing against Northern Girls, but you don't take full advantage of princessdom, or at least that is what I have observed. Think Bette Davis in 'Dark Victory'. She's on her last leg, but she looks great, and everyone is waiting on her hand and foot.

Beverly

Pat M. on 8/10/00 at 20:26 (025161)

Thanks so much for those wonderful words. You know, I am very lucky, because I do have it pretty easy at home. My husband is doing as much as he can. He's not used to doing it all, but he's doing a pretty good job. I do pretty much sit around and get waited on hand and 'foot'. I also have an almost 8 year old daughter who does a fairly good job herself. I know that she must cringe when I call her name, but she good naturedly does whatever I ask. She has carried more things for me and picked up more than ever. I am really lucky in that respect. I do appreciate it. A LOT! It's just hard getting through the days at school. Maybe if I make it through tomorrow, It'll be better by Monday. Hope so!
What really relaxes me though is a nice, warm, scented bath. Well I can't do that yet. Showers only. Hmmph. Can't wait for that bathtub either. But rest assured that I do get the good treatment at home. Thanks you guys. You're the best.
Oh, by the way Beverly, I am a Texas girl born and bred. I don't mind being waited on at all, ya'll hear!!! :-)
Pat M.

Beverly on 8/10/00 at 21:00 (025163)

Pat,

You sound like you are holding up remarkably well. Where are you in Texas?

I can't imagine having to keep up with little kids fresh out of surgery. Hang in there!

Beverly

Nancy S. on 8/10/00 at 23:04 (025175)

Hi Pat, good to hear from you. I did think that returning to work at school only 5 days after surgery would probably be a hardship. All things considered, you sound like you're handling it really well -- but I hope you'll take off any time you feel you need. I'm sure that's important to your healing. I find hobbling around in an aircast takes a toll on my overall energy, so I can only imagine how much more tiring the wheelchair and crutches can be. (Can you elevate your foot while in the wheelchair??)
Ok, I guess I'm in a 'what do we have in common' mode tonight. How come so many on the board are from Texas?? Seems like an overload down there! What's going on, do you have funny air or something?
I'm a total Yank, I guess. And I do find it hard to be waited on -- I hate it. So maybe ya'll can teach me something about that, since there are days when I have no choice, and there have been days like that for some time now. What to do about guilt and inflated independence delusions?
Take good care, Pat, thanks for posting.
--Nancy

Pat M. on 8/10/00 at 16:19 (025136)

Hi Nancy and everyone,
I'm still here. I read everyday, but that is about all of my energy that I have left when I get home. I have to say that I have read some verrrry interesting things lately.
I'm doing o.k. School is really taking its toll on me though. I thought it would be a piece of cake to just be pushed around in a wheelchair all day. Well, it's not. I'm not really sure whether I can do it or not. These first two days with the kiddos are really important to me. I didn't want them to start off with a sub., but I am seriously considering taking off a couple of days at the first of next week.
The doc removed my stitches, but left my foot totally open. I have put my bandage around it during the day for protection, but when I get home (even though I sit in the wheelchair all day) My foot is swollen quite a bit. It doesn't hurt though. He said that I was doing very well, but we won't really know for a couple of more weeks. That is when he says that I can put weight on it.
Thanks for asking. Like I said I am keeping up with everyone here. I've just been sort of lazy about posting. I know one thing, a person must really be in good shape for this crutch and wheelchair thing. It is tough. It really makes me appreciate all of those out there who are using these things permanently. It gives me a new perspective on things.
Looking forward to easier days. Just two weeks to go. (I hope, I hope, I hope) Have a good day everybody.
Pat M.

JudyS on 8/10/00 at 16:35 (025137)

Oh Pat my heart goes out to you! Having to go back to school now must be really trying. I have several friends who are elementary school teachers and I know how important it is to bond and to provide consistency right away. Not to mention that starting another year has all it's own stresses and pressures!
What can you do when you get home to REALLY give yourself a sense of peace and reward? Is there someone there who can treat you like a princess for a few more weeks? Let me talk to him.....

Beverly on 8/10/00 at 17:48 (025148)

I agree, she needs princess treatment. Call in hubby, Daddy, sister, boyfriend, brother, best friend, anyone... Pat, I can't remember where you are from. If you are not used to 'playing princess,' this would be a good time to learn. Nothing against Northern Girls, but you don't take full advantage of princessdom, or at least that is what I have observed. Think Bette Davis in 'Dark Victory'. She's on her last leg, but she looks great, and everyone is waiting on her hand and foot.

Beverly

Pat M. on 8/10/00 at 20:26 (025161)

Thanks so much for those wonderful words. You know, I am very lucky, because I do have it pretty easy at home. My husband is doing as much as he can. He's not used to doing it all, but he's doing a pretty good job. I do pretty much sit around and get waited on hand and 'foot'. I also have an almost 8 year old daughter who does a fairly good job herself. I know that she must cringe when I call her name, but she good naturedly does whatever I ask. She has carried more things for me and picked up more than ever. I am really lucky in that respect. I do appreciate it. A LOT! It's just hard getting through the days at school. Maybe if I make it through tomorrow, It'll be better by Monday. Hope so!
What really relaxes me though is a nice, warm, scented bath. Well I can't do that yet. Showers only. Hmmph. Can't wait for that bathtub either. But rest assured that I do get the good treatment at home. Thanks you guys. You're the best.
Oh, by the way Beverly, I am a Texas girl born and bred. I don't mind being waited on at all, ya'll hear!!! :-)
Pat M.

Beverly on 8/10/00 at 21:00 (025163)

Pat,

You sound like you are holding up remarkably well. Where are you in Texas?

I can't imagine having to keep up with little kids fresh out of surgery. Hang in there!

Beverly

Nancy S. on 8/10/00 at 23:04 (025175)

Hi Pat, good to hear from you. I did think that returning to work at school only 5 days after surgery would probably be a hardship. All things considered, you sound like you're handling it really well -- but I hope you'll take off any time you feel you need. I'm sure that's important to your healing. I find hobbling around in an aircast takes a toll on my overall energy, so I can only imagine how much more tiring the wheelchair and crutches can be. (Can you elevate your foot while in the wheelchair??)
Ok, I guess I'm in a 'what do we have in common' mode tonight. How come so many on the board are from Texas?? Seems like an overload down there! What's going on, do you have funny air or something?
I'm a total Yank, I guess. And I do find it hard to be waited on -- I hate it. So maybe ya'll can teach me something about that, since there are days when I have no choice, and there have been days like that for some time now. What to do about guilt and inflated independence delusions?
Take good care, Pat, thanks for posting.
--Nancy