Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

ORTHODICS

Posted by BONNY L on 8/10/00 at 12:22 (025094)

WELCOME ANYONES OPINION.I HAVE BEEN WEARING ORTHODICS FOR 2 WEEKS WITHOUT RELIEF (HEEL SPUR).WHAT IS THE CUT OFF POINT? SHOULD I TRY ANOTHER COUPLE OF WEEKS.

Re: ORTHODICS

Richard, C.Ped on 8/10/00 at 12:36 (025099)

Hi Bonnie.
If your orthotics are made correctly, it may take two weeks to six months before you have relief. Did you allow yourself the 'break-in' period?
Richard, C.Ped

BONNY L on 8/10/00 at 14:43 (025115)

HALF DAYS FOR ONE WEEK,THEN ALL DAY.I AM ON CEMENT FLOORS ALL DAY,WHICH DOESN'T HELP.I BELIEVE THAT WAS THE CAUSE OF MY SPURS.I JUST FEEL LIKE I'M REINJURING IT EVERYDAY.I GUESS I'M JUST BEING WHINY! I NEED TO BE MORE PATIENT.

JudyS on 8/10/00 at 15:29 (025128)

Bonny - it's just about impossible to be too 'whiny' here! We have a lot to deal with and it gets so overwhelming and confusing that this is the perfect place to let it all ooze out - we all know exactly how you're feeling!

BONNY L on 8/10/00 at 15:41 (025132)

THANK YOU FOR YOUR ENCOURAGEMENT! WE DON'T GET ALOT OF SYMPATHY (ACTUALLY NONE)FROM NORMAL FEET PEOPLE, BECAUSE THEY CAN'T 'SEE' ANYTHING WRONG WITH OUR FEET.PEOPLE NEED TO SEE BLOOD DRIPPING FROM YOU TILL THEY REALIZE YOUR IN PAIN. DO YOU WANT TO HEAR SOMETHING IRONIC? ESWT THERAPY IS NOT OFFERED IN MY STATE, BUT, IF I HAD A HORSE WITH A SPUR I COULD BRING IT TO A LOCAL EQUINE CLINIC FOR ESWT THERAPY! WHAT'S UP WITH THAT? I HAVE MADE ALOT OF CALLS TO HOSPITALS,THERAPISTS,OTHER PODIATRISTS(BESIDES MY OWN) AND GUESS WHAT? I DIDN'T TALK TO ONE PERSON WHO HAD HEARD ABOUT ESWT! I FOUND MYSELF EDUCATING THEM ABOUT THIS TREATMENT. ME! WHO KNOWS SO LITTLE SO FAR! PEOPLE HAVE ORGAN TRANSPLANTS EVERYDAY, BUT WE CAN'T EASILY GET RELIEF FROM A HEEL SPUR. I KNOW I CAN TRAVEL TO CANADA OR N.J. BUT I SHOULDN'T HAVE TO. THE UNITED STATES IS SO FAR BEHIND EUROPE, IT MAKES ME SICK. I FEEL SO MUCH BETTER NOW! THANKS GUYS!

JudyS on 8/10/00 at 15:47 (025133)

Richard - I have to echo Nancy with this question.....if it can take up to six months to feel relief from orthotics, then how in the world could we know if they're effective or if they're more damaging? I can't help but think that the human condition disallowes us waiting it out! Some of us here have tried them for one week, with the prescribed breaking in procedure, and they hurt too much. If they're supposed to help, why would they cause so many other aches and pains?

Dr. Biehler on 8/11/00 at 08:44 (025204)

When orthotics are perscribed to be functional, which means to correct a biomechanical problem, the patient usually has his foot taped with various pads made out of such things as felt, to simulate an orthotic, in order to find out what works and if an orthotic will help. These are usually adjusted or a temporary insert is made that has adjustable pads to make sure a functional orthotic is called for. If it is, depending on the amount of correction being given, the orthotic can be worn right away givining relief or a break-in period must be followed. This allows the foot, muscles and tendons to adapt to their new position. This can take a few weeks of an hour or two a day of orthotic wear. If the orthotics are not helping or if four foot starts to hurt more when you are wearing them, then stop using them. You can have them adjusted. An accomadative orthotic, which is ment to make your feet feel good and is not correcting a biomechanical problem, should be able to be worn from day one with no break-in period and does not require the foot tapeing,etc. Dr. Biehler

Richard, C.Ped on 8/10/00 at 12:36 (025099)

Hi Bonnie.
If your orthotics are made correctly, it may take two weeks to six months before you have relief. Did you allow yourself the 'break-in' period?
Richard, C.Ped

BONNY L on 8/10/00 at 14:43 (025115)

HALF DAYS FOR ONE WEEK,THEN ALL DAY.I AM ON CEMENT FLOORS ALL DAY,WHICH DOESN'T HELP.I BELIEVE THAT WAS THE CAUSE OF MY SPURS.I JUST FEEL LIKE I'M REINJURING IT EVERYDAY.I GUESS I'M JUST BEING WHINY! I NEED TO BE MORE PATIENT.

JudyS on 8/10/00 at 15:29 (025128)

Bonny - it's just about impossible to be too 'whiny' here! We have a lot to deal with and it gets so overwhelming and confusing that this is the perfect place to let it all ooze out - we all know exactly how you're feeling!

BONNY L on 8/10/00 at 15:41 (025132)

THANK YOU FOR YOUR ENCOURAGEMENT! WE DON'T GET ALOT OF SYMPATHY (ACTUALLY NONE)FROM NORMAL FEET PEOPLE, BECAUSE THEY CAN'T 'SEE' ANYTHING WRONG WITH OUR FEET.PEOPLE NEED TO SEE BLOOD DRIPPING FROM YOU TILL THEY REALIZE YOUR IN PAIN. DO YOU WANT TO HEAR SOMETHING IRONIC? ESWT THERAPY IS NOT OFFERED IN MY STATE, BUT, IF I HAD A HORSE WITH A SPUR I COULD BRING IT TO A LOCAL EQUINE CLINIC FOR ESWT THERAPY! WHAT'S UP WITH THAT? I HAVE MADE ALOT OF CALLS TO HOSPITALS,THERAPISTS,OTHER PODIATRISTS(BESIDES MY OWN) AND GUESS WHAT? I DIDN'T TALK TO ONE PERSON WHO HAD HEARD ABOUT ESWT! I FOUND MYSELF EDUCATING THEM ABOUT THIS TREATMENT. ME! WHO KNOWS SO LITTLE SO FAR! PEOPLE HAVE ORGAN TRANSPLANTS EVERYDAY, BUT WE CAN'T EASILY GET RELIEF FROM A HEEL SPUR. I KNOW I CAN TRAVEL TO CANADA OR N.J. BUT I SHOULDN'T HAVE TO. THE UNITED STATES IS SO FAR BEHIND EUROPE, IT MAKES ME SICK. I FEEL SO MUCH BETTER NOW! THANKS GUYS!

JudyS on 8/10/00 at 15:47 (025133)

Richard - I have to echo Nancy with this question.....if it can take up to six months to feel relief from orthotics, then how in the world could we know if they're effective or if they're more damaging? I can't help but think that the human condition disallowes us waiting it out! Some of us here have tried them for one week, with the prescribed breaking in procedure, and they hurt too much. If they're supposed to help, why would they cause so many other aches and pains?

Dr. Biehler on 8/11/00 at 08:44 (025204)

When orthotics are perscribed to be functional, which means to correct a biomechanical problem, the patient usually has his foot taped with various pads made out of such things as felt, to simulate an orthotic, in order to find out what works and if an orthotic will help. These are usually adjusted or a temporary insert is made that has adjustable pads to make sure a functional orthotic is called for. If it is, depending on the amount of correction being given, the orthotic can be worn right away givining relief or a break-in period must be followed. This allows the foot, muscles and tendons to adapt to their new position. This can take a few weeks of an hour or two a day of orthotic wear. If the orthotics are not helping or if four foot starts to hurt more when you are wearing them, then stop using them. You can have them adjusted. An accomadative orthotic, which is ment to make your feet feel good and is not correcting a biomechanical problem, should be able to be worn from day one with no break-in period and does not require the foot tapeing,etc. Dr. Biehler