Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Re: ORTHOtics

Posted by Nancy S. on 8/10/00 at 14:41 (025114)

Bonny, I'm sure I don't know what the cut-off point would be, but I wore custom orthotics for over four months that at first helped a little, then stopped helping at all, then actually began to hurt not only my PF foot but the other foot as well. I wish I had stopped wearing them as soon as they didn't feel good, because my own opinion is that they contributed to the development of achilles and numerous other kinds of tendonitis I'm now dealing with in my feet and legs.
Richard, six months? Correct orthotics could take six months to give a person relief? I personally don't think I'd wait that long, for fear of their being the wrong ones for me and injuring myself further with them. But I guess you must have seen success after 6 months, in your line of work! Forgive me if you've answered this question before (if you did, I missed it): What is your opinion of the hard, rigid, plastic 3/4-length orthotics? That's what I had and they did a number on me. Also, how do you determine whether an individual needs rigid, semi-rigid, or soft orthotics? Thanks --Nancy

Nancy S. on 8/10/00 at 15:06 (025121)

Bonny! If you feel you are reinjuring your feet every day, patience is not the answer! Have you read Scott's PF Book (click on it at top of page)? Please don't think you're being whiny or impatient. If you feel you're reinjuring your feet every day, then you most likely are -- and could be headed for a chronic, worsening case.
I wish like anything that I hadn't gone on feeling like I was reinjuring my feet every day but continuing doing what I was doing. It lead to much worse PF, and other tendonitises to boot.
I think you need to take a look at the big picture and do whatever it takes to stop hurting your feet.
Good luck to you. --Nancy

Nancy S. on 8/10/00 at 15:06 (025121)

Bonny! If you feel you are reinjuring your feet every day, patience is not the answer! Have you read Scott's PF Book (click on it at top of page)? Please don't think you're being whiny or impatient. If you feel you're reinjuring your feet every day, then you most likely are -- and could be headed for a chronic, worsening case.
I wish like anything that I hadn't gone on feeling like I was reinjuring my feet every day but continuing doing what I was doing. It lead to much worse PF, and other tendonitises to boot.
I think you need to take a look at the big picture and do whatever it takes to stop hurting your feet.
Good luck to you. --Nancy