Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Chiro

Posted by Sam on 8/10/00 at 15:15 (025125)

Hi,

I posed a question about Chiro's a few weeks ago and got some great feedback. I'm finally going to see my chiro tomorrow. I usually go in for the normal back adjustment. I remember somebody mentioning that they get some sort of foot adjustment. Am I remembering right? I don't want to go in there and mention it to him and get this blank stare and a laugh or something.

If there is some sort of foot adjustment, what do they do? Do most Chiro's do it?

If I am wrong, please let me know (after you are done laughing, of course).

Re: Chiro

Kim B. on 8/10/00 at 16:53 (025141)

I think you are on the right track though I don't know what the exact foot adjustment would be. There are bones in the feet and chiros know how to move them around. You might ask him about 'Active Release Threapy' (ART) while you're there.

Tell the doctor what problems you're having and let him tell you what kinds of therapies he has at his disposal. Different chiropractors use different techniques. Also, check into Reflexology and massage threapy.

It has been a long time since I had a back adjustment, but it seems I remember someone here mentioning that even back adjustments can be beneficial to the feet. My advice is to 'get the works'. Also, Many Chiros have ultrashound treatments which can help some too. Good luck, let us know how it goes.

Regards, Kim B.

Kathy on 8/10/00 at 22:37 (025172)

when I looked through the yellow pages at chiropractors none of them advertised that they did ART, is this something you need to call and ask them? my own chiro. doesn't do ART and seems to know nothing about it, just my luck.
Kathy

Sam on 8/11/00 at 07:41 (025193)

yeah, ART must be what I was remembering. I'll ask him today if he does that. Thanks for the help.

Kim B. on 8/11/00 at 07:49 (025194)

I know very little about ART, but I will give you my impression of it.

Art is highly specialized form of released therapy. They probaly would have taken a class in it. There are some brother Chiroparctors out West that 'invented' it, but I've been told it is actually an old trick by a new name. Now they sell it as 'theirs'. And charge Chiros a fee to show them how to do it 'their' way. Do a word search on ART and/or active release therapy. You can find out if those docs are close to you. Never know.

ART is suppose to help release trapped and pinched nerves and tendons in the area of the foot and ankle. Helpful especially is TTS is your problem.

Ask your chiro what kind of foot adjustments is he currently able to provide? surely he can do something. I have had various foot ajustments by chiropractors and pratitioners and they always feel good to me.
:-) Kim B.

Re: Sam

Kim B. on 8/11/00 at 08:23 (025197)

Explain it to him as 'Active Release Threapy' if he doesn't seem to know what ART stands for. If is doesn't know this, ask him what kind of foot threapies and adjustments he can offer or work into your program.

Kim B.

Sam on 8/11/00 at 09:30 (025213)

I hope he knows of it. My chiro is a nice person and I hate searching for doctors.

I think I might have mentioned this before, but I asked my insurance company for a person who does acupuncture since it's covered under my plan. They gave me a couple names and I made an appointment with a doctor in chinatown. I go down there and when I was called in, he asked me about my problem. I told him all about my foot, where the pain was, and how it started. He looked me straight in the eye and said to me, 'I'm a psychiatrist.' Now that's embarrassing. I guess he used to practice acupuncture about 6 years ago, but he has no idea why my insurance company thought he still does it.

I can look back and laugh on that one.

Nancy S. on 8/11/00 at 11:04 (025226)

Sam, I think your doctor story has got to be unique to the board. Thanks for the big laugh!
Nancy

Kim B on 8/11/00 at 11:37 (025228)

So, did you talk to him about the agony and torture of dealing with PF? Barb's reflexologist says our feet hurt because we have repressed emotions (or something like that). You should have spilled your guts while you were there.

Kim B.

Kim B. on 8/10/00 at 16:53 (025141)

I think you are on the right track though I don't know what the exact foot adjustment would be. There are bones in the feet and chiros know how to move them around. You might ask him about 'Active Release Threapy' (ART) while you're there.

Tell the doctor what problems you're having and let him tell you what kinds of therapies he has at his disposal. Different chiropractors use different techniques. Also, check into Reflexology and massage threapy.

It has been a long time since I had a back adjustment, but it seems I remember someone here mentioning that even back adjustments can be beneficial to the feet. My advice is to 'get the works'. Also, Many Chiros have ultrashound treatments which can help some too. Good luck, let us know how it goes.

Regards, Kim B.

Kathy on 8/10/00 at 22:37 (025172)

when I looked through the yellow pages at chiropractors none of them advertised that they did ART, is this something you need to call and ask them? my own chiro. doesn't do ART and seems to know nothing about it, just my luck.
Kathy

Sam on 8/11/00 at 07:41 (025193)

yeah, ART must be what I was remembering. I'll ask him today if he does that. Thanks for the help.

Kim B. on 8/11/00 at 07:49 (025194)

I know very little about ART, but I will give you my impression of it.

Art is highly specialized form of released therapy. They probaly would have taken a class in it. There are some brother Chiroparctors out West that 'invented' it, but I've been told it is actually an old trick by a new name. Now they sell it as 'theirs'. And charge Chiros a fee to show them how to do it 'their' way. Do a word search on ART and/or active release therapy. You can find out if those docs are close to you. Never know.

ART is suppose to help release trapped and pinched nerves and tendons in the area of the foot and ankle. Helpful especially is TTS is your problem.

Ask your chiro what kind of foot adjustments is he currently able to provide? surely he can do something. I have had various foot ajustments by chiropractors and pratitioners and they always feel good to me.
:-) Kim B.

Kim B. on 8/11/00 at 08:23 (025197)

Explain it to him as 'Active Release Threapy' if he doesn't seem to know what ART stands for. If is doesn't know this, ask him what kind of foot threapies and adjustments he can offer or work into your program.

Kim B.

Sam on 8/11/00 at 09:30 (025213)

I hope he knows of it. My chiro is a nice person and I hate searching for doctors.

I think I might have mentioned this before, but I asked my insurance company for a person who does acupuncture since it's covered under my plan. They gave me a couple names and I made an appointment with a doctor in chinatown. I go down there and when I was called in, he asked me about my problem. I told him all about my foot, where the pain was, and how it started. He looked me straight in the eye and said to me, 'I'm a psychiatrist.' Now that's embarrassing. I guess he used to practice acupuncture about 6 years ago, but he has no idea why my insurance company thought he still does it.

I can look back and laugh on that one.

Nancy S. on 8/11/00 at 11:04 (025226)

Sam, I think your doctor story has got to be unique to the board. Thanks for the big laugh!
Nancy

Kim B on 8/11/00 at 11:37 (025228)

So, did you talk to him about the agony and torture of dealing with PF? Barb's reflexologist says our feet hurt because we have repressed emotions (or something like that). You should have spilled your guts while you were there.

Kim B.