Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

right minds........

Posted by JudyS on 8/10/00 at 15:40 (025131)

Hey Nancy - what with the number of similarities we discovered about one another, how did we miss that we're both left-handed?
And listen here young lady, don't be chattin' me up about late-nite habits! I remember distinctly you posting at some silly hour just a week or so ago!

Re: right minds........

alan k on 8/10/00 at 17:55 (025149)

I'm left handed too.

Nancy S. on 8/10/00 at 22:36 (025171)

You're right -- I think some silly hour is close to approaching, and here I am.
I know this is far-fetched, but I wonder how many left-handers are on here, anyway? Can right-brain folks be prone to PF? Judy, is your John left-handed? Phil is left-handed -- but he has no foot problems. Alan is left-handed . . . I know it's far-fetched, but it's impossible not to wonder about anything that a majority just might have in common.
How did I miss the floxin talk? I must have been high from finding a doctor who cares. (His secretary called me yesterday at his request to tell me that they have found a medium-size cast; she said Dr. Bouchard was 'excited' to have found the right cast for me and told her to put it aside for me immediately so I can get it at tomorrow's appt. I can hardly believe my luck at finding a doctor who really pays attention and is such a human being.)
Floxin can cause tendonitis and ruptures . . . this boggles my mind a bit. How could an antibiotic have such a specific nasty effect? Not that I don't believe it . . . and now I wish I knew the names of the antibiotics I've been given over the years.
I have plenty of short-term causes to point to in my case too -- sudden work change to hard (cement) floors in the barn; really rotten footwear; way too lengthy hours on my feet (like 10 to 12 in one day, and I mean never sitting down during them). But still, I know plenty of people who have done all this and more -- with no problem. So I still have to wonder, what makes us prone, besides the local factors?
Both Alan and Kim have mentioned diet, specifically low carbs. I'm a big believer in this now. I think it played a pretty large role in reducing my PF. It didn't stop the tendonitises from developing, but I think they were in the works long before I even realized them, and before starting to eat better. I went on a yeast-killing diet at the end of December, which involved just about no carbs while on it strictly, which I did for nearly 3 months. Now I eat some carbs -- but no sugar, no bread, no pasta. My body overall loves the effect, including my brain. I'll never go back. Alan can tell you, because he first brought this up to me -- and my initial reaction was, What?? Me? Non-regimented, hates-structure me follow any kind of eating 'program'? But it was EASY, when I quickly discovered how much better I felt. It alone doesn't just cure everything, but it has improved too many aspects of life to even list. And it has improved too many things for me to even be tempted to go back to old ways, which were extremely high carb and little protein and not enough vegetables. I don't do it perfectly every day, but this way of eating includes plenty of pleasure and whatever I've given up is well worth it. I never look back.
Geez, I guess this one's long enough.
--Nancy

alan k on 8/10/00 at 17:55 (025149)

I'm left handed too.

Nancy S. on 8/10/00 at 22:36 (025171)

You're right -- I think some silly hour is close to approaching, and here I am.
I know this is far-fetched, but I wonder how many left-handers are on here, anyway? Can right-brain folks be prone to PF? Judy, is your John left-handed? Phil is left-handed -- but he has no foot problems. Alan is left-handed . . . I know it's far-fetched, but it's impossible not to wonder about anything that a majority just might have in common.
How did I miss the floxin talk? I must have been high from finding a doctor who cares. (His secretary called me yesterday at his request to tell me that they have found a medium-size cast; she said Dr. Bouchard was 'excited' to have found the right cast for me and told her to put it aside for me immediately so I can get it at tomorrow's appt. I can hardly believe my luck at finding a doctor who really pays attention and is such a human being.)
Floxin can cause tendonitis and ruptures . . . this boggles my mind a bit. How could an antibiotic have such a specific nasty effect? Not that I don't believe it . . . and now I wish I knew the names of the antibiotics I've been given over the years.
I have plenty of short-term causes to point to in my case too -- sudden work change to hard (cement) floors in the barn; really rotten footwear; way too lengthy hours on my feet (like 10 to 12 in one day, and I mean never sitting down during them). But still, I know plenty of people who have done all this and more -- with no problem. So I still have to wonder, what makes us prone, besides the local factors?
Both Alan and Kim have mentioned diet, specifically low carbs. I'm a big believer in this now. I think it played a pretty large role in reducing my PF. It didn't stop the tendonitises from developing, but I think they were in the works long before I even realized them, and before starting to eat better. I went on a yeast-killing diet at the end of December, which involved just about no carbs while on it strictly, which I did for nearly 3 months. Now I eat some carbs -- but no sugar, no bread, no pasta. My body overall loves the effect, including my brain. I'll never go back. Alan can tell you, because he first brought this up to me -- and my initial reaction was, What?? Me? Non-regimented, hates-structure me follow any kind of eating 'program'? But it was EASY, when I quickly discovered how much better I felt. It alone doesn't just cure everything, but it has improved too many aspects of life to even list. And it has improved too many things for me to even be tempted to go back to old ways, which were extremely high carb and little protein and not enough vegetables. I don't do it perfectly every day, but this way of eating includes plenty of pleasure and whatever I've given up is well worth it. I never look back.
Geez, I guess this one's long enough.
--Nancy