Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

2 EPF Surgeries, 3 Neuromas Removed, 2 Stress Fractures

Posted by Nancy M on 8/10/00 at 21:25 (025166)

I have posted here before and it's usually after I read about someone thinking, going or has had Endoscopic Plantar Faciotomy (EPF). So, here is the story of my feet for those of you who haven't heard it yet.

My heel pain first started in September/October 1997. I first went to my PCP and was given anti-inflammatories from him and then a shot. When neither one of these helped after several weeks I went to a podiatrist. When I first saw my 'friendly foot doctor' as I call him, I had several things going on in my left foot - PF, neuroma, and a stress fracture. I was in a soft cast for the stress fracture for about 7-8 weeks and during that time my PF didn't brother me that much, but I think that was because my foot was in the soft case. After the soft cast came off for the stress fracture the pain was back in my heel.

While trying to get my PF under control I had my first foot surgery (left foot) for a neuroma June 1998.

After trying all the usual stuff to get the PF under control (shots, anit-inflammatories, PT, orthotics, taping, etc.) in September 1998 I decided to have EPF 1/3 release surgery on my left foot. After surgery I was in a hard cast up to my knee on crutches with no weight for one week. Stitches out in one week and then wearing tennis shoes.

March 1999 EPF 1/3 release on my right foot. I was in a cam/walking boot after surgery and able to walk the same day. Stitches out in one week and in the cam/walking boot for about another 6 weeks and then tennis shoes. I asked my doctor why the difference - he changed his procedure.

July 1999 I had neuromas removed from my right and left foot.

April 27, 2000 I was put in a hard cast with crutches non-weight bearing for 2 weeks because of a stress fracture in my cuboid bone. Then 2 weeks more on crutches non-weight bearing with a soft cast and my cam/walking boot. After that about 2 more weeks with the crutches with weight as I could tolerate, soft cast and boot. As of today (15 weeks later) I'm still in the boot, but no soft cast. I go tomorrow for a bone scan to see if the stress fracture is healed before I take the boot off.

So, in the last 3 years since my pain has started, I've had surgery on my feet 4 times and 2 stress fractures. I'm glad to say I'm 100% pain free from PF and the neuromas surgeries.

Nancy in AZ

Re: 2 EPF Surgeries, 3 Neuromas Removed, 2 Stress Fractures

Nancy S. on 8/10/00 at 23:10 (025177)

Nancy, you have been through the wringer and seem to have come out not flat as a pancake. Congratulations on doing so well! I hope everything calms down for you now and your pain-free life continues on. --Nancy

Re: 2 EPF Surgeries, 3 Neuromas Removed, 2 Stress Fractures

Nancy S. on 8/10/00 at 23:10 (025177)

Nancy, you have been through the wringer and seem to have come out not flat as a pancake. Congratulations on doing so well! I hope everything calms down for you now and your pain-free life continues on. --Nancy