Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

antibiotics

Posted by alan k on 8/11/00 at 08:35 (025201)

Let's not forget this antibiotic thread. If we could find at least some info on hypotheses about how, exactly, these antibiotics lead to tendonitis, then we would know how to mitigate the effect, at least slightly. For instance, if the anti-biotic creates a gastrointestinal problem that inhibits the uptake of certain nutrients, then you can supplement, etc. Of course, anyone can spin a theory about this but I wonder if there has been any research on floxins, etc. to try and determine how they are having the effect they are having.

I don't know about you, but I am finding this all creepy and suspicious.

yours,

alan k
http://www.acutai.com

Re: antibiotics

Beverly on 8/11/00 at 09:18 (025210)

Alan,

It is very creepy to me since in regards to muscular/tendon problems, I never really had anything more than an occassional stiff neck prior to taking Floxin.

My solution in the future is to ask if an older generation antibiotic like Bactrim would work. I know sometimes the older generation drugs don't work.

For instance, for the flair up of mid-life acne, my dermatologist wanted to put me on a new antibiotic. He said my skin would be cleared up in a couple of months. I asked if Tetracycline could do the same thing.
He said, 'Not anymore. People are resistant to that for clearing up this particular kind of skin problem.'

Despite the pressure he put me under to take the antibiotic, I said, 'No.' So, he has me a topical regeme. Although it has not made the skin clear up like an antibiotic would, my skin looks at least 50% better and I can live with it.

So, for me, I am making choices to turndown an antibiotic that is optional. I don't take them for the flu unless the doctor says it is bacterial. So far, everytime I've had the flu and had a throat culture, it has come back viral.

Beverly

KarenS on 8/11/00 at 09:57 (025218)

I get alot of lung infections and my Dr. gives me Cipro quite often. He has tried all sorts of other antibiotics but Cipro only seems to be the one that helps. I wonder why my Dr. has never mentioned this effect it could have with my feet seeing as how bad my feet are. It sure makes you wonder.

Nancy S. on 8/11/00 at 11:00 (025225)

I wonder if drugstores keep long-term records and could tell those of us who don't know whether or not we took this floxin-type antibiotic.
Nancy

Beverly on 8/11/00 at 11:49 (025232)

At least that book I read, 'Bitter Pills,' said some of the quinolines are more likely to create problems than others. I don't remember much negative stuff on Cipro. But it is certainly something to ask the doctor about.

Beverly

Barbara on 8/11/00 at 12:06 (025235)

Levaquin, which is part of the quinolone group, states on their literature that tendonitis and tendon rupture is a side effect of the drug. I have read that some people have developed tendon rupture even after they discontinued the drug. I needed steroids to get my body back to (relative) normal after taking Levaquin for just 3 days. I found a web site which shows the giant number of people having this and other side effects from Levaquin. I wonder how many more people are affected and don't know about this web site or don't have a computer. http://tropicalpenguin.com/health/forum/messages/241.html

Barbara on 8/11/00 at 12:08 (025236)

Correction:

http://www.tropicalpenguin.com/health/forum/messages/241.html

alan k on 8/11/00 at 12:27 (025240)

This is really freaking me out. Too many coincidences here. Of course, many people take antibotics so it could just be that many pf sufferers do too.

I lived a pretty health lifestyle and dedicated to yoga and meditation before I got these problems, which actually started in the hands after hand-writing some letters. My hands were useless for weeks after that, when just a year earlier I would type for 6 hours on end a day and not get carpal tunnel syndrome.

I have always been convinced there was something systemic behind this in my case.

hmmm...

alan k

alan k on 8/11/00 at 12:28 (025241)

Your prescibing doctor will have the records. You can probably just call the office and they'll check and tell you in a couple days.

alan k

alan k on 8/11/00 at 12:30 (025243)

I had no luck with this link.

alan k

wendyn on 8/11/00 at 13:31 (025246)

My son is on tetracycline right now - most doctors still prescribe it as a first antibiotic for things like this. If you're resistant to it, you can always try something else. Tetracycine is cheap cheap cheap and it's been around a long time. It's not without risks, but it doesn't seem to be as bad as others. I'm surprised your doctor wouldn't give it to you.

For midlife skin flare ups you may want to try MetroGel or Differin (both topical) and there's a new one out with Benzoyl peroxide and erythromicyn in a cream. Supplement with B12 if possible and maybe evening primrose oil. I had a similar adult breakout (hormone related). Since starting acupuncture and B12, it's cleared up. Don't know which is helping but I know low B12 affects all skins cells. It can even cause a false positive pap test!

Funny how the more you dig, the more you realize all these things are connected....

Re: antibiotics - Important to read

Kim B. on 8/11/00 at 15:06 (025257)

With Chronic Fatique Immune Dysfunction Syndrome (CFIDS) and Fibromayalgia (FM) there is much speculation that the body's immune system has gone haywire and is attacking itself. It's as if it got turned on and not turn off. They try to blame it on stress. (Maybe so,) They say it is the fight or flight mechinism gone amuck. In reality, maybe this FAMILY of ANTIBOTICS turned a switch on that is attacking healthy cells instead of just bacteria. Follow?

I was on ACUTANE in way back in 1980. Anyone else an Acutane user? I wonder if it is of the quinoline family.

The way I read it, Cipro is of the quinoline family.

I doubt the pharmcy would have that record in current files. If it's old it has probably been archived.

Re: records. Dr. Offices are notorious for giving out the 'cover their butt', stonewall routine. You are intitled to your records so if you want a copy, insist. They will even charge you 'for the paper' as a deterant. If they are that hard up for money, let 'em have a few coins. It's mostly a deterant to letting you have a copy of your records,anyway. Note: they will forward them to another physician free. I've had so many doctors over past several years, it would make your head spin. I also have copies of a lot of my records, cause I've learned the hardway, when a doc and I part company, I get a copy of my records for future reference. Some of it is jibberish, and no doubt 'sanitized', but it's better than nothting.

Regards, Kim B.

Re: antibiotics/ Acutane and Skin Creams

Beverly on 8/11/00 at 15:29 (025259)

Wendy,

Thank you for the zit cream list. I am taking Metrogel. I think it has helped significantly. I also take Even. Primrose. I'll add B-12. Good idea for energy anyway. Did you take that as a pill or as a shot.

Kim, I too took Acutane. I took it for nine months in 1985. I was young and willing to do anything to clearup my skin. It did wonders for my skin. I literally saw my zits go away each day. I would not take it today because of the side effects. Just read the PDR. Pretty scary. But at 25, I didn't care. I just wanted clear skin.

But Acutane is not an antibiotic. It's something else. I know that, because way back in the 80's when I took it, the doc wanted to put me on an antibiotic, but I said no, because I wanted something faster and something not likely to cause yeast infections. So, it is not in the quinoline family. I have no idea how long the side effects can creep up on you. My main memory of Acutane is that I had very, very dry skin.
In fact, I still have dry skin.

If you have followed my posts, you know I've had a 'cousin' of what you have. I had a debilitating case of Epstein Barr in my last year of grad school. I was lucky to get over it.

Beverly

Lori E. on 8/11/00 at 15:57 (025263)

I am allergic to most common antibiotics... bactrim, pennicillin, cipro, etc. I also have acne and use Differin. It has cleared up my cystic acne infections, but I still have some small flair ups. I will have to try the Primrose too. I think that with the concern with antibiotics that we would all be on the safe side to avoid taking them unless we have no other options. That's the way I live my life because of my allergy problem, they won't give me an antibiotic unless I have been suffering from an infection for at least a week or two.(With the exclusion of UTIs,)then it is a big discussion and search for an antibiotic that I won't react to. Most doctors will prescribe antibiotics fairly freely, for several reasons. Since I don't take many antibiotics(less than one course of them a year) I can't attribute it to the causes of my PF, especially floxin. I had to make lifestyle changes instead. I am not anti medication, I just have come to using more natural therapies due to no other real choice.

wendyn on 8/11/00 at 19:08 (025281)

I had one shot. Now I take 50 mcg 2 times a day in a pill. Keep in mind that my B12 level was borderline low to begin with. My dermatologist offerred acutane. When I read that it could cause problems with the joints and bones that may or may not be long lasting...I said no thanks. I'll live with the odd pimple. Vanity does have it's price doesn't it?

wendyn on 8/11/00 at 19:17 (025282)

Antibiotics in general are very over prescribed. I cannot count the number of times a clinic doctor has suggested that my youngest go on - 'just in case' then, when they find out about his allergies they suggest careful waiting. Inevitably - he gets better by himself. I have been on antibiotics once in the last 7 years (for a severe ear infection/bronchitis). My 15 year old has only been on them twice since he was 2. Antibiotics are never helpful for a flu or virus - they only help with infection. Make sure you ask your doctor exactly why you need to go on one, and if it's dangerous to go without. Many times the careful watching is all it takes. I am fortunate to have a family doctor that will only prescribe antibiotics when absolutely necessary.

People really need to respect them for the powerful drugs that they are....

Kim B. on 8/11/00 at 22:39 (025296)

If me or my son has green slim drainage involved, we have to have antibiotic to knock it out. Otherwise, I wait it out too. Clear or yellow drainage is one thing, green slim that lil kids pass around is another. People should keep their kids home if there is green slim involved. It just gets everyone in the house sick as hell.

Re: Acutane. Acutane is SO powerful, when I was on it at age 20, for 6 months, they ran liver test every month to check liver enzyme levels and the dermatologist pratically insisted that females be on birth control (back then, less political), because chance for fetal deformaty is like 90% or something. My sister was on it too and swears it is the root of her joint pain. My biggest problems is muscle/tendon and tendon pain. If you have teenagers who want this med, think twice, proceed with extreem caution. If it can cause such severe deformaties in fetus, I bet it can mess up a guys' sperm production as well. I agree, though, Acutain made my skin almost flawless. But no one warned me about the pain problems that might be associated with it. Still don't know if it is the root of my problems.

Regards, Kim B.

Terry on 8/11/00 at 22:52 (025299)

Kim - You are right. Accutane is so powerful, but it works great. I put my 16 yo son on it last year and the change is unbelievable. I wasn't as concerned about a boy on accutane as I would be a girl. A girl's eggs are for the duration; sperm is continuously produced. Terry

Beverly on 8/11/00 at 09:18 (025210)

Alan,

It is very creepy to me since in regards to muscular/tendon problems, I never really had anything more than an occassional stiff neck prior to taking Floxin.

My solution in the future is to ask if an older generation antibiotic like Bactrim would work. I know sometimes the older generation drugs don't work.

For instance, for the flair up of mid-life acne, my dermatologist wanted to put me on a new antibiotic. He said my skin would be cleared up in a couple of months. I asked if Tetracycline could do the same thing.
He said, 'Not anymore. People are resistant to that for clearing up this particular kind of skin problem.'

Despite the pressure he put me under to take the antibiotic, I said, 'No.' So, he has me a topical regeme. Although it has not made the skin clear up like an antibiotic would, my skin looks at least 50% better and I can live with it.

So, for me, I am making choices to turndown an antibiotic that is optional. I don't take them for the flu unless the doctor says it is bacterial. So far, everytime I've had the flu and had a throat culture, it has come back viral.

Beverly

KarenS on 8/11/00 at 09:57 (025218)

I get alot of lung infections and my Dr. gives me Cipro quite often. He has tried all sorts of other antibiotics but Cipro only seems to be the one that helps. I wonder why my Dr. has never mentioned this effect it could have with my feet seeing as how bad my feet are. It sure makes you wonder.

Nancy S. on 8/11/00 at 11:00 (025225)

I wonder if drugstores keep long-term records and could tell those of us who don't know whether or not we took this floxin-type antibiotic.
Nancy

Beverly on 8/11/00 at 11:49 (025232)

At least that book I read, 'Bitter Pills,' said some of the quinolines are more likely to create problems than others. I don't remember much negative stuff on Cipro. But it is certainly something to ask the doctor about.

Beverly

Barbara on 8/11/00 at 12:06 (025235)

Levaquin, which is part of the quinolone group, states on their literature that tendonitis and tendon rupture is a side effect of the drug. I have read that some people have developed tendon rupture even after they discontinued the drug. I needed steroids to get my body back to (relative) normal after taking Levaquin for just 3 days. I found a web site which shows the giant number of people having this and other side effects from Levaquin. I wonder how many more people are affected and don't know about this web site or don't have a computer. http://tropicalpenguin.com/health/forum/messages/241.html

Barbara on 8/11/00 at 12:08 (025236)

Correction:

http://www.tropicalpenguin.com/health/forum/messages/241.html

alan k on 8/11/00 at 12:27 (025240)

This is really freaking me out. Too many coincidences here. Of course, many people take antibotics so it could just be that many pf sufferers do too.

I lived a pretty health lifestyle and dedicated to yoga and meditation before I got these problems, which actually started in the hands after hand-writing some letters. My hands were useless for weeks after that, when just a year earlier I would type for 6 hours on end a day and not get carpal tunnel syndrome.

I have always been convinced there was something systemic behind this in my case.

hmmm...

alan k

alan k on 8/11/00 at 12:28 (025241)

Your prescibing doctor will have the records. You can probably just call the office and they'll check and tell you in a couple days.

alan k

alan k on 8/11/00 at 12:30 (025243)

I had no luck with this link.

alan k

wendyn on 8/11/00 at 13:31 (025246)

My son is on tetracycline right now - most doctors still prescribe it as a first antibiotic for things like this. If you're resistant to it, you can always try something else. Tetracycine is cheap cheap cheap and it's been around a long time. It's not without risks, but it doesn't seem to be as bad as others. I'm surprised your doctor wouldn't give it to you.

For midlife skin flare ups you may want to try MetroGel or Differin (both topical) and there's a new one out with Benzoyl peroxide and erythromicyn in a cream. Supplement with B12 if possible and maybe evening primrose oil. I had a similar adult breakout (hormone related). Since starting acupuncture and B12, it's cleared up. Don't know which is helping but I know low B12 affects all skins cells. It can even cause a false positive pap test!

Funny how the more you dig, the more you realize all these things are connected....

Re: antibiotics - Important to read

Kim B. on 8/11/00 at 15:06 (025257)

With Chronic Fatique Immune Dysfunction Syndrome (CFIDS) and Fibromayalgia (FM) there is much speculation that the body's immune system has gone haywire and is attacking itself. It's as if it got turned on and not turn off. They try to blame it on stress. (Maybe so,) They say it is the fight or flight mechinism gone amuck. In reality, maybe this FAMILY of ANTIBOTICS turned a switch on that is attacking healthy cells instead of just bacteria. Follow?

I was on ACUTANE in way back in 1980. Anyone else an Acutane user? I wonder if it is of the quinoline family.

The way I read it, Cipro is of the quinoline family.

I doubt the pharmcy would have that record in current files. If it's old it has probably been archived.

Re: records. Dr. Offices are notorious for giving out the 'cover their butt', stonewall routine. You are intitled to your records so if you want a copy, insist. They will even charge you 'for the paper' as a deterant. If they are that hard up for money, let 'em have a few coins. It's mostly a deterant to letting you have a copy of your records,anyway. Note: they will forward them to another physician free. I've had so many doctors over past several years, it would make your head spin. I also have copies of a lot of my records, cause I've learned the hardway, when a doc and I part company, I get a copy of my records for future reference. Some of it is jibberish, and no doubt 'sanitized', but it's better than nothting.

Regards, Kim B.

Beverly on 8/11/00 at 15:29 (025259)

Wendy,

Thank you for the zit cream list. I am taking Metrogel. I think it has helped significantly. I also take Even. Primrose. I'll add B-12. Good idea for energy anyway. Did you take that as a pill or as a shot.

Kim, I too took Acutane. I took it for nine months in 1985. I was young and willing to do anything to clearup my skin. It did wonders for my skin. I literally saw my zits go away each day. I would not take it today because of the side effects. Just read the PDR. Pretty scary. But at 25, I didn't care. I just wanted clear skin.

But Acutane is not an antibiotic. It's something else. I know that, because way back in the 80's when I took it, the doc wanted to put me on an antibiotic, but I said no, because I wanted something faster and something not likely to cause yeast infections. So, it is not in the quinoline family. I have no idea how long the side effects can creep up on you. My main memory of Acutane is that I had very, very dry skin.
In fact, I still have dry skin.

If you have followed my posts, you know I've had a 'cousin' of what you have. I had a debilitating case of Epstein Barr in my last year of grad school. I was lucky to get over it.

Beverly

Lori E. on 8/11/00 at 15:57 (025263)

I am allergic to most common antibiotics... bactrim, pennicillin, cipro, etc. I also have acne and use Differin. It has cleared up my cystic acne infections, but I still have some small flair ups. I will have to try the Primrose too. I think that with the concern with antibiotics that we would all be on the safe side to avoid taking them unless we have no other options. That's the way I live my life because of my allergy problem, they won't give me an antibiotic unless I have been suffering from an infection for at least a week or two.(With the exclusion of UTIs,)then it is a big discussion and search for an antibiotic that I won't react to. Most doctors will prescribe antibiotics fairly freely, for several reasons. Since I don't take many antibiotics(less than one course of them a year) I can't attribute it to the causes of my PF, especially floxin. I had to make lifestyle changes instead. I am not anti medication, I just have come to using more natural therapies due to no other real choice.

wendyn on 8/11/00 at 19:08 (025281)

I had one shot. Now I take 50 mcg 2 times a day in a pill. Keep in mind that my B12 level was borderline low to begin with. My dermatologist offerred acutane. When I read that it could cause problems with the joints and bones that may or may not be long lasting...I said no thanks. I'll live with the odd pimple. Vanity does have it's price doesn't it?

wendyn on 8/11/00 at 19:17 (025282)

Antibiotics in general are very over prescribed. I cannot count the number of times a clinic doctor has suggested that my youngest go on - 'just in case' then, when they find out about his allergies they suggest careful waiting. Inevitably - he gets better by himself. I have been on antibiotics once in the last 7 years (for a severe ear infection/bronchitis). My 15 year old has only been on them twice since he was 2. Antibiotics are never helpful for a flu or virus - they only help with infection. Make sure you ask your doctor exactly why you need to go on one, and if it's dangerous to go without. Many times the careful watching is all it takes. I am fortunate to have a family doctor that will only prescribe antibiotics when absolutely necessary.

People really need to respect them for the powerful drugs that they are....

Kim B. on 8/11/00 at 22:39 (025296)

If me or my son has green slim drainage involved, we have to have antibiotic to knock it out. Otherwise, I wait it out too. Clear or yellow drainage is one thing, green slim that lil kids pass around is another. People should keep their kids home if there is green slim involved. It just gets everyone in the house sick as hell.

Re: Acutane. Acutane is SO powerful, when I was on it at age 20, for 6 months, they ran liver test every month to check liver enzyme levels and the dermatologist pratically insisted that females be on birth control (back then, less political), because chance for fetal deformaty is like 90% or something. My sister was on it too and swears it is the root of her joint pain. My biggest problems is muscle/tendon and tendon pain. If you have teenagers who want this med, think twice, proceed with extreem caution. If it can cause such severe deformaties in fetus, I bet it can mess up a guys' sperm production as well. I agree, though, Acutain made my skin almost flawless. But no one warned me about the pain problems that might be associated with it. Still don't know if it is the root of my problems.

Regards, Kim B.

Terry on 8/11/00 at 22:52 (025299)

Kim - You are right. Accutane is so powerful, but it works great. I put my 16 yo son on it last year and the change is unbelievable. I wasn't as concerned about a boy on accutane as I would be a girl. A girl's eggs are for the duration; sperm is continuously produced. Terry