Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Survivor/sorry wendy

Posted by john h on 8/11/00 at 08:41 (025203)

for those of you who do not watch survior on this weeks episode the survivors had to stand barefooted on some boards turned sideways. every few minutes one of the boards would be removed until finally when there were only a couple of boards left you were standing on a board 2-3' wide. the last one left standing was the winner. the last 3 standing were all women. i do not understand that unless they just have smaller feet. they managed to stay up for over 2 1/2 hours. no way a pf afflected person could do this. this would probably give you pf.

Re: Survivor/sorry wendy

Trish on 8/11/00 at 09:30 (025214)

I was wincing as I watched that! I would certainly not have SURVIVED that one!

Kim B. on 8/11/00 at 11:32 (025227)

Smaller feet and more gynastics, dance, yoga, ballet training as a child probably helped some too.

To be a suvivor, you must be well rounded.

Beverly on 8/11/00 at 11:47 (025231)

At least you all got to watch. That channel went out just in time for 'Survivor.' It was working by the time 'Big Brother' which I am totally not interested in was on.

I'm hoping for reruns or a video addition.

But that brings me to an interesting thought. When I see people on TV going barefooted, running, and doing other things I can't do, I both wince and feel jealous all at the same time.

Beverly

john h on 8/11/00 at 12:08 (025237)

national geographic recently showed a buch of maniacs running a ultra marathon in the ethopian desert (100 miles). at various aid stations they would show peoples feet with doctors cutting off large chunks of damaged skin and opening up huge blisters. of course many had to be helicoptered out as they could not walk. wonder if these folks ever get pf?

Re: Classic Barefoot Envy... I understand....

Kim B. on 8/11/00 at 14:41 (025255)

And... when I see people wearing really poor, worn out, tattered shoes, which they probably wear because they are so comfortable, I want to grab them and say, 'STOP, you're ruining your feet!! Come, lets go find you something else! You cannot go around like this!!'

Regards, Kim

Beverly on 8/11/00 at 15:18 (025258)

Kim,

Wanting to get them into proper footwear is my second response.
My first feeling is pure envy as I see women in beautiful high heels and my favorite: cute flats and loafers.
I keep offering my collection of high heels to friends with big feet.
No one has come by yet to claim my size 9-10's.
I have a couple of drag queen friends. Maybe they'll come and claim my 'big feet' heels. I would get them down off the shelf, but I stuck them up so high, I can't reach them, and these days standing on a laddar does not seem like a good idea.

Beverly

Lori E. on 8/11/00 at 15:39 (025260)

I was wondering if anyone caught that after the board balancing contest, they gave the winner Dr. Scholl's inserts for her walk later that day. Her feet must have hurt. They more than likely knew that would happen or they wouldn't have given her the insoles. I noticed that alot of the time those survivors wear their running shoes. I know that when I watched that I was wincing. Too bad they couldn't wear their shoes for that compition. I also noticed that the older competetors were the first off. I would much rather have survived the underwater breath holding compitition.

Re: survivors underweight

Scott R on 8/11/00 at 18:09 (025269)

They may have fell off according to weight with the heaviest going first. Also, women have lower center of gravity which makes it easier.

john h on 8/11/00 at 18:34 (025271)

the youngest and most slender girl was not the winner. she was also booted off the island. the winner was not slender, she was sturdy. did any of you see the one that was booted off on the morning show the next day. her legs were a mess from bites and cuts and it has been 2 months since she was actually kicked off. what was with the guy who won the night on the yacht picking another guy for breakfast? something wrong here! of course i would not have selected the girl with all the tattoos.

JudyS on 8/11/00 at 18:43 (025277)

Beverly - your response to what others have on their feet is so funny and I totally identify! Sometimes, like if I see a woman of any age wearing wafer-thin flip-flops, I practically have to stop myself from telling her what a goof she's making! I also have to remember that not everyone has PF!

wendyn on 8/11/00 at 19:05 (025280)

There is a very over weight diabetic woman at work. She wears crappy flat sandals and her feet are practically hanging over the edges. Her callouses must be a half inch thick. I want to go over and shake her every time I see her. Do you have any idea how dangerous this is for someone who's diabetic?????

Re: Survivor/John, maybe his wife was watching TV

Beverly on 8/11/00 at 22:09 (025291)

John,

It does not take a rocket scientist to figure out why the guy took another guy on the yacht.
Assuming that he is either married or has a girlfriend, wife/girlfriend will be watching T.V. I didn't get to see the episode, but if it was an
over nighter, he was playing it safe. Think of the questions.

Besides, after two months of living on that island, I doubt anyone is smelling or looking too good these days. After you've eaten roasted rat with someone, the romance is gone!

Night Night,
Beverly

Nancy S. on 8/11/00 at 22:40 (025297)

You guys are too funny. Is this really a good show?? I've been avoiding it like the plague. Am I missing something?
Nancy

john h on 8/12/00 at 10:58 (025324)

roasted rat or not the babe goes on the yacht with me! besides the guy he took is always running around without any clothes on. what is that all about?

john h on 8/12/00 at 11:06 (025325)

i am not sure what the attraction is. my wife hates it and refuses to watch but is one of the highest rated shows out there. always discussion around the water cooler as to who goes next. perhaps the attraction is that these are not actors. they are not your average guy or girl either. How about a survivor island for people with PF? i guess we would all just sit around the fire looking at each other. all contest would have to be conducted sitting down. rock could not participate. nancy do you have any tattoos? wendy would be the first one kicked off the island because of a bad attitude (you said it). if rock were there he would be the guy who ran around with no clothes on. there could be two tribes the Orbasone TRibe and the Ossatron Tribe just like on tv.

nancy S. on 8/12/00 at 11:36 (025326)

John, I have always appreciated your fantasies -- I'm still waiting for you to act on the PF spa one.
Oh ya, I have about 24 tattoos. They are all over my body, and they include things like a night splint, rose-breasted grosbeaks, a foot, antique tins, and a picture of my new doc. Oh, and Birkenstocks -- didn't you see the tattoo of a Birk on my face in the photo?
Nancy

john h on 8/12/00 at 12:36 (025327)

a tattooed lady on a tropical island with pf. works for me!

Re: Survivor/I would have been one of the first to go.

Beverly on 8/12/00 at 14:47 (025332)

Hi all!

John, I will now get to see that episode I missed. The TV station went out Wednesday night, but there were so many calls to the station, it is being rerun tonight at 6:00 p.m.

John, here is what I would do, if I were on 'Survivor' and got to go eat on the yacht. I would not pick any of the guys left. Two of the men, are completely obnoxious. Rich, the pushy one who runs around with no clothes on, only has one redeeming feature; he can fish. The old fellow, Rudy, is old enough to be my father, and also seems like a pain in the butt. The young cute guy left is easy on the eye, but my nerves would already be worked over by his wishy-washy voting methods.
Come to think of it, most of the nice people have been voted off.
I guess I'd pick the least obnoxious woman left or the one who needed a meal and a bath the most!

Nancy, you are missing a good show. Put some ice on those feet and tune in.

I would have been one of the first to be voted off. My idea of camping out is the Holiday Inn. The menu would have run me off fast.

Beverly

john h on 8/12/00 at 17:45 (025344)

beverley: is rich gay? is the young 'cute' guy as you describe him a psychartist? the two remaining girls are rather tough. yes rich can fish and that is much in demand. he will be the next to go. as you probably know they are already interviewing for the next survivor series which will be in the australian outback. sounds like we need to get a life beverly.

wendyn on 8/12/00 at 22:41 (025359)

John, Rich told everyone that he is a homosexual a long time ago. Where have you been? The good thing about watching survivor is that at least you know what the heck everyone else is talking about at work Thursday mornings. Nancy - the series is in to it's final two weeks, so no point in starting to watch it now. You probably would have a hard time following what's going on if you've missed it to this point.

I think it's funny that we all sit and watch the show and think about how our feet couldn't handle it....especially those 2 and half hours on the boards. I would have smiled and jumped in the water in the first 90 seconds.

Trish on 8/11/00 at 09:30 (025214)

I was wincing as I watched that! I would certainly not have SURVIVED that one!

Kim B. on 8/11/00 at 11:32 (025227)

Smaller feet and more gynastics, dance, yoga, ballet training as a child probably helped some too.

To be a suvivor, you must be well rounded.

Beverly on 8/11/00 at 11:47 (025231)

At least you all got to watch. That channel went out just in time for 'Survivor.' It was working by the time 'Big Brother' which I am totally not interested in was on.

I'm hoping for reruns or a video addition.

But that brings me to an interesting thought. When I see people on TV going barefooted, running, and doing other things I can't do, I both wince and feel jealous all at the same time.

Beverly

john h on 8/11/00 at 12:08 (025237)

national geographic recently showed a buch of maniacs running a ultra marathon in the ethopian desert (100 miles). at various aid stations they would show peoples feet with doctors cutting off large chunks of damaged skin and opening up huge blisters. of course many had to be helicoptered out as they could not walk. wonder if these folks ever get pf?

Kim B. on 8/11/00 at 14:41 (025255)

And... when I see people wearing really poor, worn out, tattered shoes, which they probably wear because they are so comfortable, I want to grab them and say, 'STOP, you're ruining your feet!! Come, lets go find you something else! You cannot go around like this!!'

Regards, Kim

Beverly on 8/11/00 at 15:18 (025258)

Kim,

Wanting to get them into proper footwear is my second response.
My first feeling is pure envy as I see women in beautiful high heels and my favorite: cute flats and loafers.
I keep offering my collection of high heels to friends with big feet.
No one has come by yet to claim my size 9-10's.
I have a couple of drag queen friends. Maybe they'll come and claim my 'big feet' heels. I would get them down off the shelf, but I stuck them up so high, I can't reach them, and these days standing on a laddar does not seem like a good idea.

Beverly

Lori E. on 8/11/00 at 15:39 (025260)

I was wondering if anyone caught that after the board balancing contest, they gave the winner Dr. Scholl's inserts for her walk later that day. Her feet must have hurt. They more than likely knew that would happen or they wouldn't have given her the insoles. I noticed that alot of the time those survivors wear their running shoes. I know that when I watched that I was wincing. Too bad they couldn't wear their shoes for that compition. I also noticed that the older competetors were the first off. I would much rather have survived the underwater breath holding compitition.

Scott R on 8/11/00 at 18:09 (025269)

They may have fell off according to weight with the heaviest going first. Also, women have lower center of gravity which makes it easier.

john h on 8/11/00 at 18:34 (025271)

the youngest and most slender girl was not the winner. she was also booted off the island. the winner was not slender, she was sturdy. did any of you see the one that was booted off on the morning show the next day. her legs were a mess from bites and cuts and it has been 2 months since she was actually kicked off. what was with the guy who won the night on the yacht picking another guy for breakfast? something wrong here! of course i would not have selected the girl with all the tattoos.

JudyS on 8/11/00 at 18:43 (025277)

Beverly - your response to what others have on their feet is so funny and I totally identify! Sometimes, like if I see a woman of any age wearing wafer-thin flip-flops, I practically have to stop myself from telling her what a goof she's making! I also have to remember that not everyone has PF!

wendyn on 8/11/00 at 19:05 (025280)

There is a very over weight diabetic woman at work. She wears crappy flat sandals and her feet are practically hanging over the edges. Her callouses must be a half inch thick. I want to go over and shake her every time I see her. Do you have any idea how dangerous this is for someone who's diabetic?????

Beverly on 8/11/00 at 22:09 (025291)

John,

It does not take a rocket scientist to figure out why the guy took another guy on the yacht.
Assuming that he is either married or has a girlfriend, wife/girlfriend will be watching T.V. I didn't get to see the episode, but if it was an
over nighter, he was playing it safe. Think of the questions.

Besides, after two months of living on that island, I doubt anyone is smelling or looking too good these days. After you've eaten roasted rat with someone, the romance is gone!

Night Night,
Beverly

Nancy S. on 8/11/00 at 22:40 (025297)

You guys are too funny. Is this really a good show?? I've been avoiding it like the plague. Am I missing something?
Nancy

john h on 8/12/00 at 10:58 (025324)

roasted rat or not the babe goes on the yacht with me! besides the guy he took is always running around without any clothes on. what is that all about?

john h on 8/12/00 at 11:06 (025325)

i am not sure what the attraction is. my wife hates it and refuses to watch but is one of the highest rated shows out there. always discussion around the water cooler as to who goes next. perhaps the attraction is that these are not actors. they are not your average guy or girl either. How about a survivor island for people with PF? i guess we would all just sit around the fire looking at each other. all contest would have to be conducted sitting down. rock could not participate. nancy do you have any tattoos? wendy would be the first one kicked off the island because of a bad attitude (you said it). if rock were there he would be the guy who ran around with no clothes on. there could be two tribes the Orbasone TRibe and the Ossatron Tribe just like on tv.

nancy S. on 8/12/00 at 11:36 (025326)

John, I have always appreciated your fantasies -- I'm still waiting for you to act on the PF spa one.
Oh ya, I have about 24 tattoos. They are all over my body, and they include things like a night splint, rose-breasted grosbeaks, a foot, antique tins, and a picture of my new doc. Oh, and Birkenstocks -- didn't you see the tattoo of a Birk on my face in the photo?
Nancy

john h on 8/12/00 at 12:36 (025327)

a tattooed lady on a tropical island with pf. works for me!

Beverly on 8/12/00 at 14:47 (025332)

Hi all!

John, I will now get to see that episode I missed. The TV station went out Wednesday night, but there were so many calls to the station, it is being rerun tonight at 6:00 p.m.

John, here is what I would do, if I were on 'Survivor' and got to go eat on the yacht. I would not pick any of the guys left. Two of the men, are completely obnoxious. Rich, the pushy one who runs around with no clothes on, only has one redeeming feature; he can fish. The old fellow, Rudy, is old enough to be my father, and also seems like a pain in the butt. The young cute guy left is easy on the eye, but my nerves would already be worked over by his wishy-washy voting methods.
Come to think of it, most of the nice people have been voted off.
I guess I'd pick the least obnoxious woman left or the one who needed a meal and a bath the most!

Nancy, you are missing a good show. Put some ice on those feet and tune in.

I would have been one of the first to be voted off. My idea of camping out is the Holiday Inn. The menu would have run me off fast.

Beverly

john h on 8/12/00 at 17:45 (025344)

beverley: is rich gay? is the young 'cute' guy as you describe him a psychartist? the two remaining girls are rather tough. yes rich can fish and that is much in demand. he will be the next to go. as you probably know they are already interviewing for the next survivor series which will be in the australian outback. sounds like we need to get a life beverly.

wendyn on 8/12/00 at 22:41 (025359)

John, Rich told everyone that he is a homosexual a long time ago. Where have you been? The good thing about watching survivor is that at least you know what the heck everyone else is talking about at work Thursday mornings. Nancy - the series is in to it's final two weeks, so no point in starting to watch it now. You probably would have a hard time following what's going on if you've missed it to this point.

I think it's funny that we all sit and watch the show and think about how our feet couldn't handle it....especially those 2 and half hours on the boards. I would have smiled and jumped in the water in the first 90 seconds.