Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

The effects of PF on other parts of the body

Posted by PaulS on 8/11/00 at 10:15 (025221)

A recent thread was about electrical stimulation for pain relief, but I have also seen ads for machines that claim to maintain or rebuild muscular strength.

Does anyone have experience using one of these electromuscular stimulation contraptions? Because of PF I can do very little weight-bearing exercise and my legs are getting thinner by the day. This is causing problems in my knees and hips. It would be ironic to cure my PF at the expense of ruining other parts of the body!

Re: The effects of PF on other parts of the body

Fred on 8/11/00 at 11:41 (025229)

I have a suggestion to keep muscle tone in your legs as well as the rest of your body - try swimming. It puts no stress on your joints and involves little weight-bearing. I was a swimmer in my youth (I'm now 62) and have been swimming laps in a pool four days a week for the past six years. It is excellent aerobic exercise and you use almost all your muscles as opposed to running/walking. Except for the PF , which I think I have under control now, I feel very healthy thanks largely to swimming.

john h on 8/11/00 at 11:52 (025233)

paul: these machines have been around since snake oil.my wife had one when i married her during the jurrasic era. one day i hooked it up to my body with about 10 electrodes and turned up the power. nothing happend. i turned up more and nothing happened. i then turned it up to max and it suddenly kicked in and i thought i was in the electic chair. my entire body convulsed before i could get it turned off. it was sold then under the name 'Relxasizor'

alan k on 8/11/00 at 13:06 (025244)

I've seen those commercials on home shopping network, etc.

John's funny post is quite right. Do not think these will build tone. However, the same sort of contraption can be used as a sort of massage stimulator but I doubt it is more effective than using your hands. One person posted last year favorably (dr. Ho's muscle massage). I used it myself and found it was no help. The idea that you could use it to build muscle is absurd.

You can exercise feet and legs together without weight-bearing. You are right that atrophy in the legs will only make the pf worse in the long run.

alan k
http://www.acutai.com

Re: TENS units not for me.

Kim B. on 8/11/00 at 14:30 (025252)

I've tried a little of everything for my fibromyagia pain and I dislike the TENS units very much. They cause me to tense up which agrevates my trigger points. I guess I could handle it if I took about 3 valium first, but that tends to slow me down a little.

Kim B.

Fred on 8/11/00 at 11:41 (025229)

I have a suggestion to keep muscle tone in your legs as well as the rest of your body - try swimming. It puts no stress on your joints and involves little weight-bearing. I was a swimmer in my youth (I'm now 62) and have been swimming laps in a pool four days a week for the past six years. It is excellent aerobic exercise and you use almost all your muscles as opposed to running/walking. Except for the PF , which I think I have under control now, I feel very healthy thanks largely to swimming.

john h on 8/11/00 at 11:52 (025233)

paul: these machines have been around since snake oil.my wife had one when i married her during the jurrasic era. one day i hooked it up to my body with about 10 electrodes and turned up the power. nothing happend. i turned up more and nothing happened. i then turned it up to max and it suddenly kicked in and i thought i was in the electic chair. my entire body convulsed before i could get it turned off. it was sold then under the name 'Relxasizor'

alan k on 8/11/00 at 13:06 (025244)

I've seen those commercials on home shopping network, etc.

John's funny post is quite right. Do not think these will build tone. However, the same sort of contraption can be used as a sort of massage stimulator but I doubt it is more effective than using your hands. One person posted last year favorably (dr. Ho's muscle massage). I used it myself and found it was no help. The idea that you could use it to build muscle is absurd.

You can exercise feet and legs together without weight-bearing. You are right that atrophy in the legs will only make the pf worse in the long run.

alan k
http://www.acutai.com

Re: TENS units not for me.

Kim B. on 8/11/00 at 14:30 (025252)

I've tried a little of everything for my fibromyagia pain and I dislike the TENS units very much. They cause me to tense up which agrevates my trigger points. I guess I could handle it if I took about 3 valium first, but that tends to slow me down a little.

Kim B.