Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

PAIN MED

Posted by BONNY L on 8/11/00 at 13:34 (025247)

AFTER A DAY AT WORK HEEL PAIN(SPUR)REALLY FLARES UP.TOO MUCH IBUPROFEN UPSETS MY STOMACH. ANY SUGGESTIONS AS WHAT I COULD ASK MY POD TO PRESCRIBE FOR ME. I WOULD LIKE SOMETHING A BIT STRONGER FOR THE BAD NIGHTS OR WILL HE TELL ME TO SUFFER!

Re: PAIN MED

wendyn on 8/11/00 at 13:44 (025248)

Hi Bonny. You may want to avoid all caps in posting. I know it's easier - but that's actually how people 'shout' or 'yell' over the net. It's also hard to read.

For pain you may want to consider asking about Vioxx. It's a new anti-inflammatory that is supposed to be easier on the stomach.

For very bad nights, some people use Elavil. It's actually an anti-depressant (or it was originally developed as one). It's used more often now to treat pain. People take it at bed time and it's supposed to be effective. Some people feel a little hung over in the morning, other people do fine.

You may want to talk to your doctor about both of these. Also don't ever take ibuprofen on an empty stomach - that may help a bit. Elevating your feet at bedtime can help too. If your pod tells you to 'suffer' - find a different doctor. If you're not sleeping properly, it makes it that much harder for your body to heal.

Let us know how you do....

cindyp on 8/11/00 at 14:11 (025250)

Well I have been on the ibuprofen types. Then I went to indocin, then I went to elavil, then I went to neurontin. There are lots of things out there. I don't have the same problem as you but you can get something else so you don't have to suffer. Just let your doctor know that you need something else.

bonny l on 8/11/00 at 14:47 (025256)

thanks wendyn,cindyp for your advice.i'm calling my pod today.sorry everyone for my caps!

Steve P on 8/11/00 at 17:07 (025265)

Bonnie --- I have a sensitive stomach & cannot tolerate ibuprofen. But I've had no problem with vioxx.

Steve

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/11/00 at 17:15 (025266)

Try asking for vioxx. Vioxx 25 mgs one day could help alot.

wendyn on 8/11/00 at 13:44 (025248)

Hi Bonny. You may want to avoid all caps in posting. I know it's easier - but that's actually how people 'shout' or 'yell' over the net. It's also hard to read.

For pain you may want to consider asking about Vioxx. It's a new anti-inflammatory that is supposed to be easier on the stomach.

For very bad nights, some people use Elavil. It's actually an anti-depressant (or it was originally developed as one). It's used more often now to treat pain. People take it at bed time and it's supposed to be effective. Some people feel a little hung over in the morning, other people do fine.

You may want to talk to your doctor about both of these. Also don't ever take ibuprofen on an empty stomach - that may help a bit. Elevating your feet at bedtime can help too. If your pod tells you to 'suffer' - find a different doctor. If you're not sleeping properly, it makes it that much harder for your body to heal.

Let us know how you do....

cindyp on 8/11/00 at 14:11 (025250)

Well I have been on the ibuprofen types. Then I went to indocin, then I went to elavil, then I went to neurontin. There are lots of things out there. I don't have the same problem as you but you can get something else so you don't have to suffer. Just let your doctor know that you need something else.

bonny l on 8/11/00 at 14:47 (025256)

thanks wendyn,cindyp for your advice.i'm calling my pod today.sorry everyone for my caps!

Steve P on 8/11/00 at 17:07 (025265)

Bonnie --- I have a sensitive stomach & cannot tolerate ibuprofen. But I've had no problem with vioxx.

Steve

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/11/00 at 17:15 (025266)

Try asking for vioxx. Vioxx 25 mgs one day could help alot.