Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Swimming causing foot swelling?

Posted by JanC on 8/11/00 at 14:41 (025254)

Periodically I venture to a local pool as I'm recently able to walk that far and my velcro boot/cast is removable. I start out with no pain, feeling ok but stiff and start easy and only swim for about 20 minutes (SLOW pace). However, I notice 1-2 hours later my feet are hot, swollen all over, veiny as all get out, and the pf is acting up. I'm confused because this is non-weight bearing.
They say, (who ever 'they' are) increasing circulation is supposed to be a good thing. Is it possible it's not and that it's an aggravating thing?
Anyone else experience this?

Re: Swimming causing foot swelling?

wendyn on 8/11/00 at 19:04 (025279)

I had an increase in pain from deep water running. My problem is a stretched nerve causing TTS. No one has been able to explain why deep water running aggravates my pain. You are not going crazy though - and that's a good thing.

Fred on 8/11/00 at 22:55 (025300)

I have been swimming laps for 30 -50 minutes, 4-5 times a week for the last 6 years and have never had my feet swell. Are you swimming or running or doing other pool exercises where you put weight on your your feet?

PaulS on 8/12/00 at 04:16 (025311)

The last 3 times I have tried pool exercises - basically floating upright in the water with a bouyancy aid and kicking up and down with the legs - I have had increased arch pain the next day. This may be just coincidence but it has scared me off doing this kind of exercise for a while.

ChuckC on 8/12/00 at 10:07 (025317)

During the first seven or eight months with PF I also could not acqua jog. The jogging stretched my arch too much and caused it to ache. Now the muscle is strong enough so that I can do pool running. (I still cannot do stretching).

Rajiv K on 8/13/00 at 00:27 (025360)

I went swimming after a year recently and since that day have developed a constant pain in my heel. Going to a podiatrist next week.

Rock on 8/14/00 at 08:06 (025399)

JanC,

It was likely me who said that regular activity of the correct (for 'you') type will increase circulation and enhance healing of PF and/or AT.

Even in the pool there are actions that can cause a PF flare-up. The worst of these is pushing off the pool wall with your injured foot (i learned that the hard way!).

I have looked back through postings on this board and related boards from 1999 and 1998 and have seen that PF people are not getting better any faster now than they were back then. It is my opinion, that the obsession with total rest has been a major factor in the extremely slow recovery times for people with PF. I guess we all make our choices and have to live with them.

Off to ride my bike...
Rock.

JudyS on 8/14/00 at 09:35 (025405)

Good Morning Rock - I noticed just now in your post that you used the word 'obsession' in relation to rest. The word comes close to seeming negative and it occurs to me that there's a very good reason some of us seem to be 'obsessed' with rest. It's because that's what our Docs have been telling us to do - but without really defining parameters for 'resting'! So, we have pain, we're desperate to get rid of it so we do JUST what our Docs said to do - rest! The doc doesn't necessarily give us resting guidelines and, given that for most of us PF is a first, what seems logical in terms of rest? Would that be resting to the point of obsession? To the point of ineffectiveness in our daily lives, to the point of isolation, and last, to the point of depression? Maybe we're beginning to find out here that some activity pretty much seems necessary both for the feet and the soul! But did our docs tell us that? Nope. Do we need to educate our Docs? I think most doctors think they're treating fairly middle-of-the-road, sedentary, mid-life people. They forget that most of us got PF through being active! Unless a PFer is seeing a doctor who FULLY understands the life of a physically active person, or even a 'normally' active person, the most common prescription will be 'rest' - with no real definition of the word. One time a Pod of mine told me I could do whatever I wanted, physically, and two sentences later told me I needed to 'rest' and give my PF a chance to heal! So anyway, my frustrated point here is, who knows just exactly what rest is? I just spent two years resting and ONLY GOT WORSE! This last month or two I've been experimenting with some activities and find that I have no ill after-effects. I'm not back to half-marathon distance nor even a smooth 3 miles, but hey, I'll take my half-hour of walk/jog time and love every second of it! The balance there is in following the activity with ice, rest, etc.

wendyn on 8/11/00 at 19:04 (025279)

I had an increase in pain from deep water running. My problem is a stretched nerve causing TTS. No one has been able to explain why deep water running aggravates my pain. You are not going crazy though - and that's a good thing.

Fred on 8/11/00 at 22:55 (025300)

I have been swimming laps for 30 -50 minutes, 4-5 times a week for the last 6 years and have never had my feet swell. Are you swimming or running or doing other pool exercises where you put weight on your your feet?

PaulS on 8/12/00 at 04:16 (025311)

The last 3 times I have tried pool exercises - basically floating upright in the water with a bouyancy aid and kicking up and down with the legs - I have had increased arch pain the next day. This may be just coincidence but it has scared me off doing this kind of exercise for a while.

ChuckC on 8/12/00 at 10:07 (025317)

During the first seven or eight months with PF I also could not acqua jog. The jogging stretched my arch too much and caused it to ache. Now the muscle is strong enough so that I can do pool running. (I still cannot do stretching).

Rajiv K on 8/13/00 at 00:27 (025360)

I went swimming after a year recently and since that day have developed a constant pain in my heel. Going to a podiatrist next week.

Rock on 8/14/00 at 08:06 (025399)

JanC,

It was likely me who said that regular activity of the correct (for 'you') type will increase circulation and enhance healing of PF and/or AT.

Even in the pool there are actions that can cause a PF flare-up. The worst of these is pushing off the pool wall with your injured foot (i learned that the hard way!).

I have looked back through postings on this board and related boards from 1999 and 1998 and have seen that PF people are not getting better any faster now than they were back then. It is my opinion, that the obsession with total rest has been a major factor in the extremely slow recovery times for people with PF. I guess we all make our choices and have to live with them.

Off to ride my bike...
Rock.

JudyS on 8/14/00 at 09:35 (025405)

Good Morning Rock - I noticed just now in your post that you used the word 'obsession' in relation to rest. The word comes close to seeming negative and it occurs to me that there's a very good reason some of us seem to be 'obsessed' with rest. It's because that's what our Docs have been telling us to do - but without really defining parameters for 'resting'! So, we have pain, we're desperate to get rid of it so we do JUST what our Docs said to do - rest! The doc doesn't necessarily give us resting guidelines and, given that for most of us PF is a first, what seems logical in terms of rest? Would that be resting to the point of obsession? To the point of ineffectiveness in our daily lives, to the point of isolation, and last, to the point of depression? Maybe we're beginning to find out here that some activity pretty much seems necessary both for the feet and the soul! But did our docs tell us that? Nope. Do we need to educate our Docs? I think most doctors think they're treating fairly middle-of-the-road, sedentary, mid-life people. They forget that most of us got PF through being active! Unless a PFer is seeing a doctor who FULLY understands the life of a physically active person, or even a 'normally' active person, the most common prescription will be 'rest' - with no real definition of the word. One time a Pod of mine told me I could do whatever I wanted, physically, and two sentences later told me I needed to 'rest' and give my PF a chance to heal! So anyway, my frustrated point here is, who knows just exactly what rest is? I just spent two years resting and ONLY GOT WORSE! This last month or two I've been experimenting with some activities and find that I have no ill after-effects. I'm not back to half-marathon distance nor even a smooth 3 miles, but hey, I'll take my half-hour of walk/jog time and love every second of it! The balance there is in following the activity with ice, rest, etc.