Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

patient satisfaction vs. ESWT satisfaction

Posted by Dr. Zuckerman on 8/11/00 at 17:47 (025267)

Could we add another question to the ESWT survey. I want to know if the patient is satisfied with the doctor an opposed to the ESWT treatment. A few patients have had fair improvement but very high satisfaction. I don't know if the patient is happy with me and not very happy with the result. It could be that they are just happy to get any get of relief. I am very happy with my ESWT results. I am going to be not so happy if the results are in the same range as the FDA ossatron results. I just got a note about Dr. Brooks in California he has a sixty three percentage rate of patients who were either pain-free. or substantially improved with orbasone this is for all patient that had ESWT treatments including foot, knee, hip , elbow. , shoulder. The number went up to sixty-six percentage on patients that didn't have any reponse and then had a second treatment.

Re: patient satisfaction vs. ESWT satisfaction

john h on 8/11/00 at 18:39 (025273)

dr z : is the dr in california using the same settings as you on the orbasone? i think i read somewhere dr weil uses his at 'max'?

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/11/00 at 20:07 (025284)

No. I know he does the treatment in two sessions without anesthesia, one week apart. I don't know his settings. Dr. Weil opens the machine up full power. I will start at 16kw and increase the power only to make sure that there is good vibration of shock in the area of treatment I like to feel the pf vibrating. Today I went up to 20kv to make the area of treatment vibrate Most of the time I am at 16-18 kv.
Dr. Weil doesn't feel second treatments help his patients. I do think they are very effective so long as the patients got some relief with the first treatment. I wil do another treatment right away now if the patient gets no relief within two weeks. I really think that once I get all of my results, I plan on having a professional help me to evaluate my results. I have always had a gut feeling that the results are in the 60-80% range but pain relief is very subjection. I just read some ossatron results from a hand out that i picked up from the ossatron people yesterday at our national convention. The interesting result was that for second treatments that had failed first treatment the following was noted. The sucess rate was 90.5% based on the investigators assessment and 52.3% based on the patients
self assesment. The conclusion from this was that other problems such as tarsal tunnel or other complication neurologcial factors may contriute to sympotms of heel pain and that differential diagnosis and appropiate patient selection are important. I think I will mail all of this information to Scott to post if he thinks that this is new information

Lynn Ray on 8/23/00 at 14:52 (026095)

I am in San Diego , California. I am a 58 year old ex-tournament tennis player. I have had successful surgery for Tarsal Tunnel. Now my podiatrist suspects PF in the same foot. The MRI, Bone Scan and X-rays have not been conclusive. Does Dr. Weil either or Dr. Brooks practice ESWT near San Diego. I am aware of Cedars Siani Hospital and Rehab Health Care in LA. Could you recommend one over the other?
Thank you.
Footfault

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/23/00 at 15:33 (026098)

Dr. Brooks is in Los Angles, California. I have done competitive tennis players with very good results and little to no down time

JudyS on 8/24/00 at 10:05 (026125)

Hi Lynn - you make at least four of us in San Diego! Sounds like a party waiting to happen! I've been 'on' the Board for several months now and have been following the ESWT story closely. I'm aware of the facility in Los Angeles but haven't heard any patient critiques of it here. The cost is prohibitive but may be worth it if it avoids surgery. Who is your Podiatrist and how long since your PF pain and diagnosis?

john h on 8/11/00 at 18:39 (025273)

dr z : is the dr in california using the same settings as you on the orbasone? i think i read somewhere dr weil uses his at 'max'?

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/11/00 at 20:07 (025284)

No. I know he does the treatment in two sessions without anesthesia, one week apart. I don't know his settings. Dr. Weil opens the machine up full power. I will start at 16kw and increase the power only to make sure that there is good vibration of shock in the area of treatment I like to feel the pf vibrating. Today I went up to 20kv to make the area of treatment vibrate Most of the time I am at 16-18 kv.
Dr. Weil doesn't feel second treatments help his patients. I do think they are very effective so long as the patients got some relief with the first treatment. I wil do another treatment right away now if the patient gets no relief within two weeks. I really think that once I get all of my results, I plan on having a professional help me to evaluate my results. I have always had a gut feeling that the results are in the 60-80% range but pain relief is very subjection. I just read some ossatron results from a hand out that i picked up from the ossatron people yesterday at our national convention. The interesting result was that for second treatments that had failed first treatment the following was noted. The sucess rate was 90.5% based on the investigators assessment and 52.3% based on the patients
self assesment. The conclusion from this was that other problems such as tarsal tunnel or other complication neurologcial factors may contriute to sympotms of heel pain and that differential diagnosis and appropiate patient selection are important. I think I will mail all of this information to Scott to post if he thinks that this is new information

Lynn Ray on 8/23/00 at 14:52 (026095)

I am in San Diego , California. I am a 58 year old ex-tournament tennis player. I have had successful surgery for Tarsal Tunnel. Now my podiatrist suspects PF in the same foot. The MRI, Bone Scan and X-rays have not been conclusive. Does Dr. Weil either or Dr. Brooks practice ESWT near San Diego. I am aware of Cedars Siani Hospital and Rehab Health Care in LA. Could you recommend one over the other?
Thank you.
Footfault

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/23/00 at 15:33 (026098)

Dr. Brooks is in Los Angles, California. I have done competitive tennis players with very good results and little to no down time

JudyS on 8/24/00 at 10:05 (026125)

Hi Lynn - you make at least four of us in San Diego! Sounds like a party waiting to happen! I've been 'on' the Board for several months now and have been following the ESWT story closely. I'm aware of the facility in Los Angeles but haven't heard any patient critiques of it here. The cost is prohibitive but may be worth it if it avoids surgery. Who is your Podiatrist and how long since your PF pain and diagnosis?