Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

where is the pain?

Posted by john h on 8/11/00 at 18:37 (025272)

most articles refer to PF as 'heel pain'. is this really where most of us suffer pain? my pain is forward of the heel where the fascia attaches to the heel. how many of you really have 'heel pain'?

Re: where is the pain?

JudyS on 8/11/00 at 18:48 (025278)

You're right, John. I think the phrase 'heel pain' is just generic. It keeps us and our docs from having to use too much breath to explain where the pain actually is! My heel pain, like yours, is actually on the inner 'face' of the heel where the plantar attaches. But for me my much-more-demanding pain is in the arch. The heel pain continues to improve.

cindyp on 8/11/00 at 19:25 (025283)

I don't know if I should answer because we dont' suffer from the same thing. My pain is everywhere.All over the foot. Maybe because my gait isn't even close to normal anymore when I can manage to walk.

Beverly on 8/11/00 at 22:00 (025290)

Primary pain in arch... most lingering and relenting. Deep pain after being on feet more than short time.

Some pain in heel... used to be worse but is easily aggrevated if on feet for too long.

Sometimes in ankles and achilles tendon area but this pain is more like an ache

Nancy S. on 8/11/00 at 22:21 (025292)

To me that point where the fascia meets the heel feels like heel pain. When it was very bad, that whole half of my heel jumped in to enjoy the pain along with 'the spot.' That's how it remained for many months. After that, the pain was not only there but moved around some -- sometimes to the side of the heel, sometimes in the arch, sometimes on the outside of the foot.
Finally it settled (or began anew) in several other tendons and my ankles. This pain must be distracting me from any PF pain I have left -- I still jump quite high when the dr. presses on the PF spot, but my heel pain in daily life is way down -- I'd call it a 2, unless I overdo activities. It's my ankles and swollen leg tendons going into the foot that call attention to themselves all the time now.
--Nancy

wendyn on 8/11/00 at 22:31 (025294)

The location of most of my pain is about 1 inch below and about 1 inch forward of the inner ankle bone. There - and along the arch especially on the inside. Even with PF - I seem to recall more arch pain than I do heel pain.

pookie on 8/12/00 at 07:27 (025312)

mine is on the arch, spreading N, S, E, W

john h on 8/12/00 at 10:50 (025321)

your pain wendy is very close to the 'classic' spot for PF pain. i think being able to locate a precise spot or nearly precise spot bodes well for an improvement or cure at some point in your life.

john h on 8/12/00 at 10:54 (025322)

it seems most pain is not really in the heel but in the area of the arch where the fascia attaches to the heel from what i read on the board.. i guess the words 'heel pain' stems from the words 'heel spurs' which is something you can see on an x-ray. no one can see pf pain on any device so it has become a catch all phrase

JudyS on 8/11/00 at 18:48 (025278)

You're right, John. I think the phrase 'heel pain' is just generic. It keeps us and our docs from having to use too much breath to explain where the pain actually is! My heel pain, like yours, is actually on the inner 'face' of the heel where the plantar attaches. But for me my much-more-demanding pain is in the arch. The heel pain continues to improve.

cindyp on 8/11/00 at 19:25 (025283)

I don't know if I should answer because we dont' suffer from the same thing. My pain is everywhere.All over the foot. Maybe because my gait isn't even close to normal anymore when I can manage to walk.

Beverly on 8/11/00 at 22:00 (025290)

Primary pain in arch... most lingering and relenting. Deep pain after being on feet more than short time.

Some pain in heel... used to be worse but is easily aggrevated if on feet for too long.

Sometimes in ankles and achilles tendon area but this pain is more like an ache

Nancy S. on 8/11/00 at 22:21 (025292)

To me that point where the fascia meets the heel feels like heel pain. When it was very bad, that whole half of my heel jumped in to enjoy the pain along with 'the spot.' That's how it remained for many months. After that, the pain was not only there but moved around some -- sometimes to the side of the heel, sometimes in the arch, sometimes on the outside of the foot.
Finally it settled (or began anew) in several other tendons and my ankles. This pain must be distracting me from any PF pain I have left -- I still jump quite high when the dr. presses on the PF spot, but my heel pain in daily life is way down -- I'd call it a 2, unless I overdo activities. It's my ankles and swollen leg tendons going into the foot that call attention to themselves all the time now.
--Nancy

wendyn on 8/11/00 at 22:31 (025294)

The location of most of my pain is about 1 inch below and about 1 inch forward of the inner ankle bone. There - and along the arch especially on the inside. Even with PF - I seem to recall more arch pain than I do heel pain.

pookie on 8/12/00 at 07:27 (025312)

mine is on the arch, spreading N, S, E, W

john h on 8/12/00 at 10:50 (025321)

your pain wendy is very close to the 'classic' spot for PF pain. i think being able to locate a precise spot or nearly precise spot bodes well for an improvement or cure at some point in your life.

john h on 8/12/00 at 10:54 (025322)

it seems most pain is not really in the heel but in the area of the arch where the fascia attaches to the heel from what i read on the board.. i guess the words 'heel pain' stems from the words 'heel spurs' which is something you can see on an x-ray. no one can see pf pain on any device so it has become a catch all phrase