Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

monster boot

Posted by Nancy S. on 8/11/00 at 23:11 (025303)

I've got the right size aircast now, and what a difference. It's not only more tolerable than the too-small one, but it feels downright good. The medium size is really gargantuan compared to the small. What a weapon. I have this almost irresistible urge to go to scary parts of downtown Portland and hang out.
I'm to wear it at least until my next dr. appt., August 29. In the meantime, on Tuesday I start my new PT schedule, 3 times a week for 6 weeks. Today the dr. said it would be fine for me to wear the night splint instead of the cast while sleeping. What a relief! Things were getting mighty dangerous around here during the night!
This new sports med. dr. continues to knock my socks off with his humanity and concern. (As a matter of fact, while talking to me after examining my feet today he put my purple socks back on my feet for me.) They finally found the medium cast for me on Wednesday, and he had the secretary call me to tell me -- just so I wouldn't worry about it between then and today.
My bloodwork all came back negative -- yay! No systemic disease. As an extra bonus, he had included a cholesterol count since they were taking the blood, and it is down to 151 from 232 last year!! I can only attribute this to eating better since January. Oddly, the 'eating better' does not mean that I eat much less fat -- but it's a better type of fat, I guess, such as olive oil and, since I went off the strictest part of the Candida diet, cheese. Certainly can't attribute the drop to more exercise!
But he did recommend going back to swimming, so I guess I'm going to go. I'd better get a crewcut. (When pigs fly, that will happen.)
Nancy

Re: monster boot

JudyS on 8/11/00 at 23:37 (025304)

Hot Diggity - a whole new weapon for you! And poor Phil thought his legs were already beat up on enough!
Hot diggity re: that cholesterol - you're a braver woman than me (she said as she munched m & m's).
Anyway, amidst all that, just how is your pain these days after two weeks of PT?
You know how your cats find 'new' places to snooze every now and then? Today my kitty's (Sam) new spot is smack in the middle of my desktop, against the keyboard right where a ray of sunshine falls through the window!

Re: Nancy's progress/acupuncture

wendyn on 8/12/00 at 00:03 (025306)

Nancy, I am so happy to hear you found such a nice doctor...he put your socks on for you!?!?!? Wow. I remember one doctor just kind of patting me on the shoulder and I thought it was one of the few personal gestures I'd seen a doctor make. I'm also very happy to hear about all your blood work and that everything was normal. At least you've ruled the other possibilities out.

When you have your physio, do you know if they will do acupuncture?

I keep meaning to pass on my opinion of my most recent acupuncture treatment. I went again this week, and yes John H - I was looking forward to it. The PT did some spinal manipulation (thoracic spine) and some trigger points in that area and shoulders as well. Then she put a bunch of pins in my back and back of my legs.

It was when she flipped me over (after removing the pins of course) and put a bunch in the front that I really noticed some interesting things. As I laid back on my heating pad and let the pins do their work - I could not help but notice A LOT of sensations, tingling - and sort of warmth moving through my feet and legs. These sensations seem to get stronger every time I go to acupuncture. I get also seem to get a lot more of what I call 'phantom pin sensations'. I think that one or two pins are really poking or hurting a bit, and then when I look - there isn't a pin there. Really really weird. This happens a lot now.

Anyway - the more I go, the more fascinated I become with what seems to happen during acupuncture. I'm going to spend some time reading up on this to try to better understand....now - if I could just get past my skepticism. I still have a hard time believing that it's not just a lot of 'hokus pokus'. I guess the theroies of Western Medicine are just so ingrained it's hard for me to open my mind to anything else. Well, it looks like this skeptic is fast becoming a convert to alternative medicines.....I'll keep you posted.

Nancy S. on 8/12/00 at 00:47 (025308)

Good evening, Judy. Ok ok, it's 1:30 a.m. here.
Actually I had about 2.5 weeks of PT, and then there was a two-week hiatus in the middle of which I saw the doctor. He has prescribed 6 more weeks, 3 times a week, and this all starts on Tuesday. So I haven't had PT for almost two weeks now.
I'm looking forward to going back -- I felt toward the end of the first short stint (6 sessions) that the swelling was starting to go down. I have pretty high hopes for the dense PT schedule coming up.
The pain is pretty much the same -- all over the ankles and achilles and other tendons around them. I've even got shin splints, it turns out. I mean, my lower legs and ankles are a wreck! The dr. says a lot of it is scar tissue and when that gets helped by deep massage (later on in the PT schedule), I should notice a big drop in pain. Gee, do ya think it's possible after all this time? He seems to think so.
Ah, kitties do have some things in common. One of ours, Cookie, loves to jump on my lap while I'm in the recliner typing on the wireless keyboard. Doesn't bother her a bit that there's a keyboard there, and that it's hard and can't be comfortable. I don't know if you remember her. She's the one that looks like a holstein cow.
Nancy

Nancy S. on 8/12/00 at 01:01 (025309)

Thanks, Wendy. Ya, he put my socks on my feet for me. Maybe he liked the color? No, he just really is very human and views his patients as partners in treatment. It seems to come naturally to him, I don't think he even has to plan it out or do it especially consciously. I was so taken aback, I missed some of what he was saying at the time. It was a little like at last week's appt., when he walked in with my x-rays and asked 'Would you like to look at them with me?' WHAT??? Yes!
He did that today too with the blood test results. He went over each test with me and explained what it meant and pointed out how to tell that I was well within normal range on every single one.
My physical therapy won't include acupuncture -- she's not an acupuncturist. But if the intensive PT schedule coming up doesn't do it for my now quite deformed feet, I've decided that acupuncture is next on the list. I tend to be skeptical of alternative medical stuff too, despite my now deep wariness of traditional medicine (in this case, and I'll probably globalize it) -- but I think there's something to acupuncture. The principles make sense to me, and I know enough people who have been helped by it. Your experiences with it are very interesting to follow -- keep us posted -- and I'm glad it seems to be doing something. If you figure out exactly what, that'll be nice to know! Since you're so much better than you were last winter, how much of that progress do you attribute, in your own mind, to the acupuncture?
Nancy

Trish on 8/12/00 at 03:06 (025310)

Sounds hopeful, Nancy. I'll be thinking of you. Keep us posted!

wendyn on 8/12/00 at 10:30 (025319)

In order of importance I rank what I think has helped from greatest help down.

1. Getting out of hard orthtotics
2. Getting into Birks and out of a real shoe entirely
3. Time & stopping running etc.
4. Never going bare foot anymore (or almost never)
4. Acupuncture
5. The B12 shot
6. The B12 supplements I take now
7. Yoga (for general relaxation/stretching)
8. Massage
9. Stopping deep water running

For the B12, I asked the neurologist if this could have caused the very sudden improvement I had back in Jan/Feb. She said no. If it wasn't the B12, then the only other thing that happened was acupuncture. Unfortunately, I will never know for sure.

alan k on 8/12/00 at 14:33 (025331)

That's sounds great Wendy. I get that phantom needle thing too.

You should try gently, gently focusing the mind on any sensations as they are happening, especially if they are running toward the feet. Just pay attention and recieve the sensations without any expectations about what it should feel like. This will definitely help you.

Glad to hear it.

alan k
http://www.acutai.com

Beverly on 8/12/00 at 20:43 (025350)

I'm glad that new boot is feeling good. Here's an idea to keep hubby safe. Put a row of pillows between the two of you. It's not warm or snuggly, but you don't have to wear the thing forever.

Good luck,
Beverly

john h on 8/15/00 at 10:36 (025481)

ok wendy: how do you keep your weight down and aerobically fit with your routine?

wendyn on 8/15/00 at 11:20 (025485)

Well....to be perfectly honest....for the most part, I have one of those metabolisms that seems to be very forgiving. I've never been on a diet and my weight has maxed out at 118 - the first time WHILE doing the 6 or so classes a week, and the most recent this year. I'm short and smaller framed but on the more muscular side so I can handle 118 reasonably well. Generally I hover right around 113. Until I quit smoking 5 years ago, my weight never usually went over 100.

Right now I do weight training 2 or 3 times a week. I bike about 3 times a week and I'm up to 25 minutes for about 9 miles or so. Even when my TTS was really bad, I was deep water running about 3 times a week and weight training 2 to 3 times a week. In order for me to get to the gym I had to hobble 3 blocks there and 3 blocks back. So I did have to do some walking every day, and some days it was awful. I'm not sure that the deep water running was good for my back or TTS, but it did keep the circulation going and kept me sane. So, I never completly stopped doing activities - just ones on my feet. I never do any form of weight training on my legs, no squats or lunges - this is forever because of the structural problems I have.

Also, I enjoy eating sensible foods. Sounds corny - but it's the food I'm used to eating and it doesn't feel regimented to me. I was fascinated with Beverly's dream breakfast of biscuits and gravy (?) and I still don't know what a chicken fried steak is. (Somebody from the South please fill me in) I don't restrict myself from having the odd piece of pie or chips and salsa (my weakness) but 95% of the time I'm basically following the food guide. 5-10 fruits veggies a day, 5-10 servings grain, 2 meat/alternates and I really try for the 2-3 dairy...(I don't like milk much). I drink lots of water and I don't eat much junk food (not very exciting but it seems to work for me).

I also think that because I've never dieted or restricted my food intake - my metabolism doesn't store fat the way it does in some people. Also, I'm just over 30 - metabolisms start to slow down a lot at 30. But, I was just reading an article that said this seems to happen primarily because of lost muscle mass. Muscle burns more calories than fat - so the more muscle you have, the more calories you burn just sitting around. All the more reason to include weight training as part of an exercise program as we age.

Don't mean to sound as if I'm lecturing, but sometimes the common sense stuff really does work...at least for some of us.

:)

JudyS on 8/11/00 at 23:37 (025304)

Hot Diggity - a whole new weapon for you! And poor Phil thought his legs were already beat up on enough!
Hot diggity re: that cholesterol - you're a braver woman than me (she said as she munched m & m's).
Anyway, amidst all that, just how is your pain these days after two weeks of PT?
You know how your cats find 'new' places to snooze every now and then? Today my kitty's (Sam) new spot is smack in the middle of my desktop, against the keyboard right where a ray of sunshine falls through the window!

wendyn on 8/12/00 at 00:03 (025306)

Nancy, I am so happy to hear you found such a nice doctor...he put your socks on for you!?!?!? Wow. I remember one doctor just kind of patting me on the shoulder and I thought it was one of the few personal gestures I'd seen a doctor make. I'm also very happy to hear about all your blood work and that everything was normal. At least you've ruled the other possibilities out.

When you have your physio, do you know if they will do acupuncture?

I keep meaning to pass on my opinion of my most recent acupuncture treatment. I went again this week, and yes John H - I was looking forward to it. The PT did some spinal manipulation (thoracic spine) and some trigger points in that area and shoulders as well. Then she put a bunch of pins in my back and back of my legs.

It was when she flipped me over (after removing the pins of course) and put a bunch in the front that I really noticed some interesting things. As I laid back on my heating pad and let the pins do their work - I could not help but notice A LOT of sensations, tingling - and sort of warmth moving through my feet and legs. These sensations seem to get stronger every time I go to acupuncture. I get also seem to get a lot more of what I call 'phantom pin sensations'. I think that one or two pins are really poking or hurting a bit, and then when I look - there isn't a pin there. Really really weird. This happens a lot now.

Anyway - the more I go, the more fascinated I become with what seems to happen during acupuncture. I'm going to spend some time reading up on this to try to better understand....now - if I could just get past my skepticism. I still have a hard time believing that it's not just a lot of 'hokus pokus'. I guess the theroies of Western Medicine are just so ingrained it's hard for me to open my mind to anything else. Well, it looks like this skeptic is fast becoming a convert to alternative medicines.....I'll keep you posted.

Nancy S. on 8/12/00 at 00:47 (025308)

Good evening, Judy. Ok ok, it's 1:30 a.m. here.
Actually I had about 2.5 weeks of PT, and then there was a two-week hiatus in the middle of which I saw the doctor. He has prescribed 6 more weeks, 3 times a week, and this all starts on Tuesday. So I haven't had PT for almost two weeks now.
I'm looking forward to going back -- I felt toward the end of the first short stint (6 sessions) that the swelling was starting to go down. I have pretty high hopes for the dense PT schedule coming up.
The pain is pretty much the same -- all over the ankles and achilles and other tendons around them. I've even got shin splints, it turns out. I mean, my lower legs and ankles are a wreck! The dr. says a lot of it is scar tissue and when that gets helped by deep massage (later on in the PT schedule), I should notice a big drop in pain. Gee, do ya think it's possible after all this time? He seems to think so.
Ah, kitties do have some things in common. One of ours, Cookie, loves to jump on my lap while I'm in the recliner typing on the wireless keyboard. Doesn't bother her a bit that there's a keyboard there, and that it's hard and can't be comfortable. I don't know if you remember her. She's the one that looks like a holstein cow.
Nancy

Nancy S. on 8/12/00 at 01:01 (025309)

Thanks, Wendy. Ya, he put my socks on my feet for me. Maybe he liked the color? No, he just really is very human and views his patients as partners in treatment. It seems to come naturally to him, I don't think he even has to plan it out or do it especially consciously. I was so taken aback, I missed some of what he was saying at the time. It was a little like at last week's appt., when he walked in with my x-rays and asked 'Would you like to look at them with me?' WHAT??? Yes!
He did that today too with the blood test results. He went over each test with me and explained what it meant and pointed out how to tell that I was well within normal range on every single one.
My physical therapy won't include acupuncture -- she's not an acupuncturist. But if the intensive PT schedule coming up doesn't do it for my now quite deformed feet, I've decided that acupuncture is next on the list. I tend to be skeptical of alternative medical stuff too, despite my now deep wariness of traditional medicine (in this case, and I'll probably globalize it) -- but I think there's something to acupuncture. The principles make sense to me, and I know enough people who have been helped by it. Your experiences with it are very interesting to follow -- keep us posted -- and I'm glad it seems to be doing something. If you figure out exactly what, that'll be nice to know! Since you're so much better than you were last winter, how much of that progress do you attribute, in your own mind, to the acupuncture?
Nancy

Trish on 8/12/00 at 03:06 (025310)

Sounds hopeful, Nancy. I'll be thinking of you. Keep us posted!

wendyn on 8/12/00 at 10:30 (025319)

In order of importance I rank what I think has helped from greatest help down.

1. Getting out of hard orthtotics
2. Getting into Birks and out of a real shoe entirely
3. Time & stopping running etc.
4. Never going bare foot anymore (or almost never)
4. Acupuncture
5. The B12 shot
6. The B12 supplements I take now
7. Yoga (for general relaxation/stretching)
8. Massage
9. Stopping deep water running

For the B12, I asked the neurologist if this could have caused the very sudden improvement I had back in Jan/Feb. She said no. If it wasn't the B12, then the only other thing that happened was acupuncture. Unfortunately, I will never know for sure.

alan k on 8/12/00 at 14:33 (025331)

That's sounds great Wendy. I get that phantom needle thing too.

You should try gently, gently focusing the mind on any sensations as they are happening, especially if they are running toward the feet. Just pay attention and recieve the sensations without any expectations about what it should feel like. This will definitely help you.

Glad to hear it.

alan k
http://www.acutai.com

Beverly on 8/12/00 at 20:43 (025350)

I'm glad that new boot is feeling good. Here's an idea to keep hubby safe. Put a row of pillows between the two of you. It's not warm or snuggly, but you don't have to wear the thing forever.

Good luck,
Beverly

john h on 8/15/00 at 10:36 (025481)

ok wendy: how do you keep your weight down and aerobically fit with your routine?

wendyn on 8/15/00 at 11:20 (025485)

Well....to be perfectly honest....for the most part, I have one of those metabolisms that seems to be very forgiving. I've never been on a diet and my weight has maxed out at 118 - the first time WHILE doing the 6 or so classes a week, and the most recent this year. I'm short and smaller framed but on the more muscular side so I can handle 118 reasonably well. Generally I hover right around 113. Until I quit smoking 5 years ago, my weight never usually went over 100.

Right now I do weight training 2 or 3 times a week. I bike about 3 times a week and I'm up to 25 minutes for about 9 miles or so. Even when my TTS was really bad, I was deep water running about 3 times a week and weight training 2 to 3 times a week. In order for me to get to the gym I had to hobble 3 blocks there and 3 blocks back. So I did have to do some walking every day, and some days it was awful. I'm not sure that the deep water running was good for my back or TTS, but it did keep the circulation going and kept me sane. So, I never completly stopped doing activities - just ones on my feet. I never do any form of weight training on my legs, no squats or lunges - this is forever because of the structural problems I have.

Also, I enjoy eating sensible foods. Sounds corny - but it's the food I'm used to eating and it doesn't feel regimented to me. I was fascinated with Beverly's dream breakfast of biscuits and gravy (?) and I still don't know what a chicken fried steak is. (Somebody from the South please fill me in) I don't restrict myself from having the odd piece of pie or chips and salsa (my weakness) but 95% of the time I'm basically following the food guide. 5-10 fruits veggies a day, 5-10 servings grain, 2 meat/alternates and I really try for the 2-3 dairy...(I don't like milk much). I drink lots of water and I don't eat much junk food (not very exciting but it seems to work for me).

I also think that because I've never dieted or restricted my food intake - my metabolism doesn't store fat the way it does in some people. Also, I'm just over 30 - metabolisms start to slow down a lot at 30. But, I was just reading an article that said this seems to happen primarily because of lost muscle mass. Muscle burns more calories than fat - so the more muscle you have, the more calories you burn just sitting around. All the more reason to include weight training as part of an exercise program as we age.

Don't mean to sound as if I'm lecturing, but sometimes the common sense stuff really does work...at least for some of us.

:)