Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

survey on the PFT

Posted by pookie on 8/12/00 at 07:57 (025315)

Have/are you using the PFT - Personal Foot Trainer?
(Please answer yes or no)

Did you have good results?
(Please answer yes or no)

If yes, explain results:

If no, explain results:

Thank you for taking this survey. I think this is going to help lots of us who are considering or shopping for a good aid in our quest to better our feet.

Pookie

Please select your response to the above survey question: View Thread
Results View Thread
.option 1 = 0 votes . . . voters:
.option 2 = 0 votes . . . voters:
.option 3 = 0 votes . . . voters:
.option 4 = 0 votes . . . voters:

Re: survey on the PFT

Terry on 8/12/00 at 09:25 (025316)

Pookie - I have the PFT. I bought it back in March or April, probably when my feet were the worst. I used it for awhile and found no difference. I showed it to my ortho and PT, and they were both impressed. One said something like, 'Like therabands, but better.' I have been thinking about trying it again lately. I have been in no-stretch for a while, and that seems to work for me. If you have any questions, Mike Wilmot get a 10 in customer service. If you get one, let us know how it goes for you. Terry

Nancy S. on 8/12/00 at 15:10 (025335)

Pookie, I'm sure you'll get more replies once the weekend is over. Hardly anybody posts on the weekend anymore, at least not enough to suit this addict. The only time there are a lot of posts on the weekend is when I go away for the weekend; then I come back to a million posts to catch up on and find I have missed out on 500 interesting threads.
Nancy

JudyS on 8/12/00 at 16:31 (025340)

Pookie - I just started with the PFT's a couple of weeks ago. I'm not yet sure about their effectiveness because it takes a bit to master the technique of pushing/pulling with your feet and not your hands on the grips of the PFTs. But two things: One, the bar between the toes is rigid to the point of discomfort and two: I recognize most of the movements that target certain muscles or groups of muscles are the same that I'm doing in PT or can even do here in my home gym.
My most particular issue is in trying to isolate the upper half only of the big toe and I haven't accomplished that yet. So, for me, the jury's still out on the effectiveness of the device.

Kim B. on 8/12/00 at 21:19 (025353)

I just got mine today, so check back in a month. :-) Kim

IreneM on 8/13/00 at 12:43 (025365)

I got my PFT's a few months ago. The theory behind them seemed very logical, and I thought it would be a good idea to exercise these muscles since the PF keeps me sitting all the time. I used them quite faithfully for 2-3 months and slowly became discouraged because it was time consuming and I was seeing no results. Also, the sticks made my hands sore and I need my hands in my work.
I am still using them, but less religously these days. I am still hoping for some improvement but am realizing that this will not be the answer for me.
Good luck.
IreneM

Beverly on 8/13/00 at 14:37 (025371)

I ordered mine a few days ago. You all don't sound too encouraging.
One reason I ordered them is that I remember reading so many positive posts about the PFT, and the word search I did was promising.
It sounds like its like everything else. People either love them or find them worthless.
I need all the help I can get; so I am hoping they work for me.
Like Kim, I'll let you know after a month or so.

Has anyone had success with this thing?

Beverly

Nancy S. on 8/13/00 at 16:18 (025377)

Judy, you have a HOME GYM? Well clue us in! What have you got over there, especially what contraptions do you have for your feet?
(Not that I'm about to put together a home gym or buy a lot of contraptions -- doesn't seem to be my thing, they'd be out on the road with a 'free' sign in no time -- but I'm curious.)

JudyS on 8/13/00 at 21:49 (025390)

Yep, a home gym. If you remember the photo of the house you'll remember the downstairs (where computer used to be) there's a 'spare' room off the downstairs that I think was originally some sort of hobby room because the outlets are half way up the wall. Anyway, over the years we've collected several pieces of workout gear like a universal-style weight gym, stationary bike, rowing machine, etc. Then one day our neighbor offered us a 4 X 8 mirror he'd scavanged from a hotel renovation, so we hung it in that spare room, put all the gym stuff in there and voila - a home gym - sort of! In fact, even though my passion is running, and running outside, my hubby just now went over to see a neighbor who's selling a treadmill so we might be adding yet another piece. I understand, though, that the trick to all this stuff is that you're supposed to actually USE IT!
Boy, who'da thought......

Re: survey on the PFT -- home gym,Judy

Nancy S. on 8/13/00 at 22:11 (025392)

Ya Judy, that's my understanding, you have to actually use the equipment. This still doesn't fit into my idea of living, maybe unfortunately for me at this point . . .
But the treadmill: if your feet can take it, I'd have John go for it. Before PF, I relied on life&work activities, some very strenuous, for all kinds of exercise. But at one point, years ago when editing full-time and swimming for exercise, there was a treadmill in the exercise room off the pool palace (ha) I belonged to. That treadmill was the only piece of equipment I could ever stand. I'd go into kind of a trance while on it, and it was very pleasant. One day they had a TV on in there with the movie 'Mrs. Doubtfire.' I walked a lot that day (getting nowhere, though -- that fact still bothers me).
Anyway, right now I'd give a lot to be able to walk on a treadmill, despite no destination. It doesn't seem to be in the near future for me. But you -- if you're playing some baseball, etc., it sounds like a real possibility. AND you get to watch yourself in a big mirror! Go for it.
Nancy

Terry on 8/12/00 at 09:25 (025316)

Pookie - I have the PFT. I bought it back in March or April, probably when my feet were the worst. I used it for awhile and found no difference. I showed it to my ortho and PT, and they were both impressed. One said something like, 'Like therabands, but better.' I have been thinking about trying it again lately. I have been in no-stretch for a while, and that seems to work for me. If you have any questions, Mike Wilmot get a 10 in customer service. If you get one, let us know how it goes for you. Terry

Nancy S. on 8/12/00 at 15:10 (025335)

Pookie, I'm sure you'll get more replies once the weekend is over. Hardly anybody posts on the weekend anymore, at least not enough to suit this addict. The only time there are a lot of posts on the weekend is when I go away for the weekend; then I come back to a million posts to catch up on and find I have missed out on 500 interesting threads.
Nancy

JudyS on 8/12/00 at 16:31 (025340)

Pookie - I just started with the PFT's a couple of weeks ago. I'm not yet sure about their effectiveness because it takes a bit to master the technique of pushing/pulling with your feet and not your hands on the grips of the PFTs. But two things: One, the bar between the toes is rigid to the point of discomfort and two: I recognize most of the movements that target certain muscles or groups of muscles are the same that I'm doing in PT or can even do here in my home gym.
My most particular issue is in trying to isolate the upper half only of the big toe and I haven't accomplished that yet. So, for me, the jury's still out on the effectiveness of the device.

Kim B. on 8/12/00 at 21:19 (025353)

I just got mine today, so check back in a month. :-) Kim

IreneM on 8/13/00 at 12:43 (025365)

I got my PFT's a few months ago. The theory behind them seemed very logical, and I thought it would be a good idea to exercise these muscles since the PF keeps me sitting all the time. I used them quite faithfully for 2-3 months and slowly became discouraged because it was time consuming and I was seeing no results. Also, the sticks made my hands sore and I need my hands in my work.
I am still using them, but less religously these days. I am still hoping for some improvement but am realizing that this will not be the answer for me.
Good luck.
IreneM

Beverly on 8/13/00 at 14:37 (025371)

I ordered mine a few days ago. You all don't sound too encouraging.
One reason I ordered them is that I remember reading so many positive posts about the PFT, and the word search I did was promising.
It sounds like its like everything else. People either love them or find them worthless.
I need all the help I can get; so I am hoping they work for me.
Like Kim, I'll let you know after a month or so.

Has anyone had success with this thing?

Beverly

Nancy S. on 8/13/00 at 16:18 (025377)

Judy, you have a HOME GYM? Well clue us in! What have you got over there, especially what contraptions do you have for your feet?
(Not that I'm about to put together a home gym or buy a lot of contraptions -- doesn't seem to be my thing, they'd be out on the road with a 'free' sign in no time -- but I'm curious.)

JudyS on 8/13/00 at 21:49 (025390)

Yep, a home gym. If you remember the photo of the house you'll remember the downstairs (where computer used to be) there's a 'spare' room off the downstairs that I think was originally some sort of hobby room because the outlets are half way up the wall. Anyway, over the years we've collected several pieces of workout gear like a universal-style weight gym, stationary bike, rowing machine, etc. Then one day our neighbor offered us a 4 X 8 mirror he'd scavanged from a hotel renovation, so we hung it in that spare room, put all the gym stuff in there and voila - a home gym - sort of! In fact, even though my passion is running, and running outside, my hubby just now went over to see a neighbor who's selling a treadmill so we might be adding yet another piece. I understand, though, that the trick to all this stuff is that you're supposed to actually USE IT!
Boy, who'da thought......

Re: survey on the PFT -- home gym,Judy

Nancy S. on 8/13/00 at 22:11 (025392)

Ya Judy, that's my understanding, you have to actually use the equipment. This still doesn't fit into my idea of living, maybe unfortunately for me at this point . . .
But the treadmill: if your feet can take it, I'd have John go for it. Before PF, I relied on life&work activities, some very strenuous, for all kinds of exercise. But at one point, years ago when editing full-time and swimming for exercise, there was a treadmill in the exercise room off the pool palace (ha) I belonged to. That treadmill was the only piece of equipment I could ever stand. I'd go into kind of a trance while on it, and it was very pleasant. One day they had a TV on in there with the movie 'Mrs. Doubtfire.' I walked a lot that day (getting nowhere, though -- that fact still bothers me).
Anyway, right now I'd give a lot to be able to walk on a treadmill, despite no destination. It doesn't seem to be in the near future for me. But you -- if you're playing some baseball, etc., it sounds like a real possibility. AND you get to watch yourself in a big mirror! Go for it.
Nancy