Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

How many treated with ESWT had their pain spread throughout entire arch, not localized.

Posted by Pauline on 8/13/00 at 12:56 (025366)

How many who had ESWT without localized pain, by that I mean inflammation and pain throughout the entire arch area had relief
with ESWT? Is this information charted on Scotts other site?
If only the small localized site near the heel is treated by ESWT
does it still help those of us with this massive inflammed arch area?

Re: How many treated with ESWT had their pain spread throughout entire arch, not localized.

Nancy S. on 8/13/00 at 14:22 (025368)

And, somewhat related to Pauline's question, I'm wondering how achilles tendonitis is treated with ESWT, since that pain doesnt tend to be so localized either? Dr. Z, how do you do it?

By the way, Pauline, I hate looking stupid too. Sometimes it has to be done, though! But I can't imagine you'd look stupid quitting this job if it hurt your feet. It isn't as though you're some mental flake who doesn't kknow what she wants and hops from one thing to another for the sake of the joyride. This is a very real condition that needs both attention and protection. So hold your head high and don't worry.
Nancy

Re: How many treated with ESWT had their pain spread throughout entire arch, not localized.

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/13/00 at 16:31 (025378)

I treat either the center of the insertion or the most painful area.
I will then if the pain doesn't resolve go back to either the lateral or medical insertion. For some reason when I treat the center of the tendon insertion the reflected pressure waves help the entire area. .
It still must be at the insertion and not up the leg.

Nancy S. on 8/13/00 at 16:52 (025380)

Dr. Zuckerman, how do you treat achilles tendonitis with ESWT? I read not long ago that you do this, and I believe one of your patients on the ESWT progress reports was treated by you for AT. Also, can you treat PF and AT in one session?
Nancy

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/13/00 at 16:58 (025381)

I haven't treated AT. I have treated both Posterior Tendonitis and Peroneal Brevis tendonitis .The patient with PT tendonitis had no long term relief and will probaby need major reconstructive foot surgery. The patient with brevis tendonitis has no pain as of today.
Refer to the previous answer for how to treat ESWT for achilles tendonitis. I really like the use of ESWT for achilles since the footsurgery recovery is very long extensive and painful with fair to good
results.

Nancy S. on 8/13/00 at 17:26 (025382)

Thank you, Dr. Z., I get it now. --Nancy

JudyS on 8/14/00 at 09:54 (025410)

Dr. Z - I've noticed that several of us have described our pain as being through the entire arch/Plantar as opposed to just at the insertion point. In fact we have arches that are tender to the touch.
I know that ESWT usually targets the insertion point and my question is, is it safe to say that the arch pain we have is a product of the problem at the insertion point? Is it a normal occurance for the insertion-point pain to 'radiate' up the arch? Or are we dealing with two different 'pains' which would make the ESWT treatment at the insertion ineffective for the rest of the arch?

Nancy S. on 8/13/00 at 14:22 (025368)

And, somewhat related to Pauline's question, I'm wondering how achilles tendonitis is treated with ESWT, since that pain doesnt tend to be so localized either? Dr. Z, how do you do it?

By the way, Pauline, I hate looking stupid too. Sometimes it has to be done, though! But I can't imagine you'd look stupid quitting this job if it hurt your feet. It isn't as though you're some mental flake who doesn't kknow what she wants and hops from one thing to another for the sake of the joyride. This is a very real condition that needs both attention and protection. So hold your head high and don't worry.
Nancy

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/13/00 at 16:31 (025378)

I treat either the center of the insertion or the most painful area.
I will then if the pain doesn't resolve go back to either the lateral or medical insertion. For some reason when I treat the center of the tendon insertion the reflected pressure waves help the entire area. .
It still must be at the insertion and not up the leg.

Nancy S. on 8/13/00 at 16:52 (025380)

Dr. Zuckerman, how do you treat achilles tendonitis with ESWT? I read not long ago that you do this, and I believe one of your patients on the ESWT progress reports was treated by you for AT. Also, can you treat PF and AT in one session?
Nancy

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/13/00 at 16:58 (025381)

I haven't treated AT. I have treated both Posterior Tendonitis and Peroneal Brevis tendonitis .The patient with PT tendonitis had no long term relief and will probaby need major reconstructive foot surgery. The patient with brevis tendonitis has no pain as of today.
Refer to the previous answer for how to treat ESWT for achilles tendonitis. I really like the use of ESWT for achilles since the footsurgery recovery is very long extensive and painful with fair to good
results.

Nancy S. on 8/13/00 at 17:26 (025382)

Thank you, Dr. Z., I get it now. --Nancy

JudyS on 8/14/00 at 09:54 (025410)

Dr. Z - I've noticed that several of us have described our pain as being through the entire arch/Plantar as opposed to just at the insertion point. In fact we have arches that are tender to the touch.
I know that ESWT usually targets the insertion point and my question is, is it safe to say that the arch pain we have is a product of the problem at the insertion point? Is it a normal occurance for the insertion-point pain to 'radiate' up the arch? Or are we dealing with two different 'pains' which would make the ESWT treatment at the insertion ineffective for the rest of the arch?