Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Pauline - have you have PF more than once?....so have I.

Posted by Sue R on 8/13/00 at 19:03 (025384)

Pauline,

I noticed that someone said you had about 5 good years between PF episodes. I had a bad one 10 years ago and then another started this May. I don't seem to be making progress like I did years ago and am very frustrated. Maybe we could compare notes?!

I have a very narrow, high arch foot. After my first episode, I didn't get completely pain free, but enough to do almost anything, except for go running and go barefoot. I could shop, exercise, stand for hours on end. No I can do none of these things and am in my fourth month of this.

Hope to chat soon!

Sue

Re: PF more than once?....so have I.

Bob G. on 8/13/00 at 20:14 (025385)

Hi Sue,

My first experience with PF was almost ten years ago. A Foot Doctor gave me arch supports and wall stretching. I recovered in less than two months.

This time around it took about ten months of rest, nightsplints, same arch supports, finally gentle stretching and lots of patience and persistence (regarding the rest). Now that I am pain-free again I still keep the nightsplint nearby and use it about 50% of the time.

That's my experience in a nutshell. Hang in there! BG

Re: To Sue Pauline - have you have PF more than once?....so have I.

Pauline on 8/13/00 at 21:22 (025388)

Sue,
Yes I had my first round of PF in 1993. It started about 3 months
into my walking program. I always stretched before I walked, then
one day out of the clear blue I walked about 1/4 mile and I felt
a sharp pain on the top of my foot. By the time I returned from
my walk the pain was on the top and into the arch area. From then
on the nightmare started. Several Drs and tests later I ended up
in physical therapy and after 2 1/2 years it left. I could do anything pain free.

It returned last April. Should I be surprised that I had started
another walking program? It was just before our trip to Europe.
I went but flew home 4 days later. It has been another nightmare
all over again. This time I think worse. Not the pain so much but
the inflammation. I have jello substance and hard spots throughout
the arches of both feet. I can stand nothing , I mean nothing pushing against them. My feet are not exactly flat but I have a very low arch although if I wet them and stood on dry concrete you would see the outline of a small arch.

I have had 7 weeks of physical therapy and it has done nothing to eliminate the jello like substance. I see the Dr Fri. I plan to
ask for more testing although my internist did all the arthritis testing and found nothing. This was later confirmed by the Rheumo Dr. I saw. To date I have seen 3 pods, 1 internist, 2 rheumos,
5 Orthos, 1 physio M.D. and a psyc for good measure.

I've spent a lot of money with little relief or cure. As you know the frustration of this disease is the worse thing. It just never seems to go away. Just when you think you have made some progress the next day is twice as bad.

To help keep the posting short why not use my e-mail.
Pauline

Re: Bob G...how bad were you at month 4?..PF more than once?....so have I.

Sue R on 8/14/00 at 09:32 (025404)

Bob,

How bad were you the second time around and when did you start getting relief?

I never fully recovered after my first episode 10 years ago but enough to lead a normal life. After months of speed walking, I got it again and this time, it's worse and not getting better yet at 3.5 months. Any suggestions?

Sue

Bob G. on 8/14/00 at 12:07 (025416)

Hello Sue,

At month 4 it was pretty bad and sad. I did not know if the pain would ever go away. I finally realized that I was reinjuring my PF each morning at first step. That led to the NightSplint which took some getting used to. Also, other activities were reinjuring, such as over stretching.

For me it all came down to rest, rest, rest. Good luck and be patient. BG

Re: 2 PF go-rounds; second way worse!

GinaC on 8/14/00 at 12:42 (025419)

My first encounter with PF was about 9 years ago....it took about a year and a half till it go better, with stretching, ultrasound, and orthotics. Was pain free for about five years. Treadmill walking triggered the current episode, which has lasted well over 3 years at this point, even though it has been treated much more aggressively, using stretching, icing, shots, orthotics, birks, nite splint, casting, acupuncture, all kinds of physical therapy, anti-inflams, ESWT and whatever else I've forgotten! The first time around I think time eventually did the trick. ESWT has helped this time, but I'm not pain-free. Getting older doesn't seem to help at all!

Sue R on 8/14/00 at 15:39 (025426)

Thanks, Bob. It's great that you're still out here helping people after being pain-free. I hope to do the same some day!

When did you start seeing changes? I feel like I've got a knot in my right arch and it is constantly pulling. I stretch (slowly now), ice, rest, etc. This is getting so old.

Sue R

Bob G. on 8/15/00 at 00:04 (025459)

Well, you may want to stop stretching until the pain subsides. It is possible that you're overstretching, I don't know.

I am not a doctor and your foot may be different than mine, so I cannot say for sure. For me, lots of rest before getting back to gentle stretching.

I started seeing changes after I resigned myself to total rest for however long it takes. A couple months, but my feet are normal. Just my feet...love clean socks! BG

ps good luck!

JudyS on 8/15/00 at 00:40 (025460)

BobG - do your clean sox have cats all over them?

Re: PF more than once?....so have I.

Bob G. on 8/13/00 at 20:14 (025385)

Hi Sue,

My first experience with PF was almost ten years ago. A Foot Doctor gave me arch supports and wall stretching. I recovered in less than two months.

This time around it took about ten months of rest, nightsplints, same arch supports, finally gentle stretching and lots of patience and persistence (regarding the rest). Now that I am pain-free again I still keep the nightsplint nearby and use it about 50% of the time.

That's my experience in a nutshell. Hang in there! BG

Re: To Sue Pauline - have you have PF more than once?....so have I.

Pauline on 8/13/00 at 21:22 (025388)

Sue,
Yes I had my first round of PF in 1993. It started about 3 months
into my walking program. I always stretched before I walked, then
one day out of the clear blue I walked about 1/4 mile and I felt
a sharp pain on the top of my foot. By the time I returned from
my walk the pain was on the top and into the arch area. From then
on the nightmare started. Several Drs and tests later I ended up
in physical therapy and after 2 1/2 years it left. I could do anything pain free.

It returned last April. Should I be surprised that I had started
another walking program? It was just before our trip to Europe.
I went but flew home 4 days later. It has been another nightmare
all over again. This time I think worse. Not the pain so much but
the inflammation. I have jello substance and hard spots throughout
the arches of both feet. I can stand nothing , I mean nothing pushing against them. My feet are not exactly flat but I have a very low arch although if I wet them and stood on dry concrete you would see the outline of a small arch.

I have had 7 weeks of physical therapy and it has done nothing to eliminate the jello like substance. I see the Dr Fri. I plan to
ask for more testing although my internist did all the arthritis testing and found nothing. This was later confirmed by the Rheumo Dr. I saw. To date I have seen 3 pods, 1 internist, 2 rheumos,
5 Orthos, 1 physio M.D. and a psyc for good measure.

I've spent a lot of money with little relief or cure. As you know the frustration of this disease is the worse thing. It just never seems to go away. Just when you think you have made some progress the next day is twice as bad.

To help keep the posting short why not use my e-mail.
Pauline

Sue R on 8/14/00 at 09:32 (025404)

Bob,

How bad were you the second time around and when did you start getting relief?

I never fully recovered after my first episode 10 years ago but enough to lead a normal life. After months of speed walking, I got it again and this time, it's worse and not getting better yet at 3.5 months. Any suggestions?

Sue

Bob G. on 8/14/00 at 12:07 (025416)

Hello Sue,

At month 4 it was pretty bad and sad. I did not know if the pain would ever go away. I finally realized that I was reinjuring my PF each morning at first step. That led to the NightSplint which took some getting used to. Also, other activities were reinjuring, such as over stretching.

For me it all came down to rest, rest, rest. Good luck and be patient. BG

Re: 2 PF go-rounds; second way worse!

GinaC on 8/14/00 at 12:42 (025419)

My first encounter with PF was about 9 years ago....it took about a year and a half till it go better, with stretching, ultrasound, and orthotics. Was pain free for about five years. Treadmill walking triggered the current episode, which has lasted well over 3 years at this point, even though it has been treated much more aggressively, using stretching, icing, shots, orthotics, birks, nite splint, casting, acupuncture, all kinds of physical therapy, anti-inflams, ESWT and whatever else I've forgotten! The first time around I think time eventually did the trick. ESWT has helped this time, but I'm not pain-free. Getting older doesn't seem to help at all!

Sue R on 8/14/00 at 15:39 (025426)

Thanks, Bob. It's great that you're still out here helping people after being pain-free. I hope to do the same some day!

When did you start seeing changes? I feel like I've got a knot in my right arch and it is constantly pulling. I stretch (slowly now), ice, rest, etc. This is getting so old.

Sue R

Bob G. on 8/15/00 at 00:04 (025459)

Well, you may want to stop stretching until the pain subsides. It is possible that you're overstretching, I don't know.

I am not a doctor and your foot may be different than mine, so I cannot say for sure. For me, lots of rest before getting back to gentle stretching.

I started seeing changes after I resigned myself to total rest for however long it takes. A couple months, but my feet are normal. Just my feet...love clean socks! BG

ps good luck!

JudyS on 8/15/00 at 00:40 (025460)

BobG - do your clean sox have cats all over them?