Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Question for Dr. Zuckerman

Posted by Ted on 8/14/00 at 09:25 (025401)

Dr. Zuckerman,

I have asked you this before, but are you aware of doc's using urology lithotripsy CPT codes for orthopaedic ESWT? Our med center had a visit from Healthtronics recently, and they said their MD's are using urology codes. Isn't this illegal?

Re: Question for Dr. Zuckerman

Scott R on 8/14/00 at 11:54 (025415)

I don't know how FDA studies are financed, but it could be that the insurance companies asked the treatment centers to use that code so that they had a mechanism for supporting the studies.

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/14/00 at 18:31 (025434)

I am aware of doctors using these codes. I believe that some are using using urology codes with a -52 modifier. Knowing Healthronic they would never endorse anything illegal. I have spoken to Dornier in the past and their lawyers are trying to get new orthopedic ESWT codes and are working with HCFA about this. This are some certified ambulatory surgical centers that are gettig paid for a facility fee and not a professional fee. I hope this makes sense to you it doesn't to Dr. Z.

Scott R on 8/14/00 at 11:54 (025415)

I don't know how FDA studies are financed, but it could be that the insurance companies asked the treatment centers to use that code so that they had a mechanism for supporting the studies.

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/14/00 at 18:31 (025434)

I am aware of doctors using these codes. I believe that some are using using urology codes with a -52 modifier. Knowing Healthronic they would never endorse anything illegal. I have spoken to Dornier in the past and their lawyers are trying to get new orthopedic ESWT codes and are working with HCFA about this. This are some certified ambulatory surgical centers that are gettig paid for a facility fee and not a professional fee. I hope this makes sense to you it doesn't to Dr. Z.