Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

At a loss for the cause - But kinda curious

Posted by ChanaW on 8/14/00 at 15:17 (025424)

Not that it matters, but I've been wondering what could have caused my PF. Any opinions would be interesting to me...

1. Through my life I've always liked to go barefoot.
2. About 20 years ago I was an avid folkdancer. I danced 5-6 times a week for 3-4 hours a day - barefoot - generally on hardwood or concrete and tile floors. Lots of jumping, bouncing, and leaping.
3. I have extremely high arches and a high instep. People say when looking at my resting foot that I look like I'm pointing my toes.
4. I took ballet (on much on point) for many years as a child.
5. I've had two babies and have gained a lot of weight since my last pregnancy.
6. I've had PF for 5 years. Ignoring most of the things that would relieve it (except orthotics) because I was told by my Pod that it would eventually go away anyway. Naturally, it's gotten worse in the 5 years and I've only recently have really started taking the pain seriously.

What is the source of the problem...

My harsh treatment of my feet in the past -
My pregnancy/weight gain
My foot structure
My stubborn denial

Re: At a loss for the cause - But kinda curious

Sue R on 8/14/00 at 16:04 (025427)

ChanaW,

The source is probably a combination of all of the things you mentioned. You seem to have been very hard on your feet in the past...an overuse syndrome. But what you've done since you got PF is probably what has caused you not to get well. Listen to your body and start treating it like a baby! Be good to those feet and rest!

Good Luck!
Sue

john h on 8/14/00 at 17:48 (025431)

chana: i do not think you will ever know what caused your PF. your challenge is to get rid of it while you are early on in its treatment. focus on that! read then many helpful hints on what has worked for many on this board and perhaps you will find ones that work for you.

April on 8/14/00 at 21:30 (025450)

Chana,
Sounds like a similar recipe I brewed for my PF. Lots of exercise on my toes. Then a period of inactivity and weight gain. No stretching either. Resumed exercise after the weight gain and blew my foot. Got PF and ignored it. Got pregnant, gained more weight and endured it for two years till with orthotics and stretching I could finally walk pain free. I still can't do any sudden movements like running or jumping or I'll blow it again. I can feel how tight it is when I push it. I have very well developed calves and really high arches. I wonder if I'll ever beat it completely. Now I'm a gym teacher who can't run or jump...great!!! Right now, I'm just happy I can walk.

John B on 8/15/00 at 07:56 (025467)

Yes!

Sue R on 8/14/00 at 16:04 (025427)

ChanaW,

The source is probably a combination of all of the things you mentioned. You seem to have been very hard on your feet in the past...an overuse syndrome. But what you've done since you got PF is probably what has caused you not to get well. Listen to your body and start treating it like a baby! Be good to those feet and rest!

Good Luck!
Sue

john h on 8/14/00 at 17:48 (025431)

chana: i do not think you will ever know what caused your PF. your challenge is to get rid of it while you are early on in its treatment. focus on that! read then many helpful hints on what has worked for many on this board and perhaps you will find ones that work for you.

April on 8/14/00 at 21:30 (025450)

Chana,
Sounds like a similar recipe I brewed for my PF. Lots of exercise on my toes. Then a period of inactivity and weight gain. No stretching either. Resumed exercise after the weight gain and blew my foot. Got PF and ignored it. Got pregnant, gained more weight and endured it for two years till with orthotics and stretching I could finally walk pain free. I still can't do any sudden movements like running or jumping or I'll blow it again. I can feel how tight it is when I push it. I have very well developed calves and really high arches. I wonder if I'll ever beat it completely. Now I'm a gym teacher who can't run or jump...great!!! Right now, I'm just happy I can walk.

John B on 8/15/00 at 07:56 (025467)

Yes!