Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

rest again.......

Posted by JudyS on 8/15/00 at 09:45 (025474)

Wow - we're all over the spectrum re: rest, aren't we? I'm going to slightly contradict an earlier post of mine.....like Nancy, if I had RESTED when I first developed PF, I absolutely believe that it wouldn't have gotten as chronic as it did. I also had a huge amount of stress during that time but I ignored all of it. My mother-in-law had advanced Alzheimer's, every nook and cranny of her house needed work and I was the only one not working full time who could put the time in to that - so I did. Seriously, 12-hour days for a good 3 months, no nutrition to speak of, high stress because I ignored my own exercise routine, high stress because other family members ignored the urgency of the problem (huge mouse infestation plus horrible day-care workers), the point being that I assumed my feet would tolerate my abuse and take care of themselves. Being a bit of an athlete, I figured I could just work through it. I was so seriously wrong that I've been kicking myself ever since! Finally, after about a year and a half (really!) I got serious about resting, ibuprofen, ice, etc. For me though the pendulum swung too far the other way. I think that by resting too much then for six months or so, things atrophied, other kinds of tendonitis set in, weight gain, depression, the works! I totally allowed the PF to control my life. These last 2 months or so I've returned to some modified physical activity followed by strict adherance to treatment. A good 80% of my current PT is focused on stretching and strengthening. This new level of activity does a number of things; loosens up all the foot and lower-leg muscles so less soreness from recurring stiffness, adds strength which helps correct an abhorent stride, and makes my little brain way happy! No, I didn't rest AT ALL at first! And, to top it off, I was on my feet triple the amount of time I normally would have been. I messed up back then and now, with your help, I'm believing that moderation is the key for everything based on our individual abilities. I keep remembering what my 3rd Pod said a couple weeks ago - as a distance runner he got PF, got orthotics, cut back on running but didn't stop, and the PF eventually went away. Now, if a POD is not restiing 100% of the time, what does that say? I think it says that we need to be our own best judges on how much we can do. OK, I'm done now!

Re: rest again.......

john h on 8/15/00 at 10:18 (025479)

judy judy judy i agree with you that if when i first developed pf i had recognized the problem and quit running and rested i would not be posting on this board today.

JudyS on 8/15/00 at 10:41 (025482)

Finally! It has taken SO LONG for someone here to say my name properly! The other day I was playing softball, I was at the plate, the pitcher was a Judy and the catcher was a Judy - that was the most pure form of 'Judy Judy Judy' I've ever known!

Re: rest again......., well activity is good.

Rock on 8/15/00 at 12:02 (025491)

John H.,

I think the keyword is MODERATION.

We must learn to ration our rest in the same way we ration our activities to heal ourselves. Too much activity you get worse, too much rest you get worse.

If I had taken off a week from running back in March after a hard race I would not developed significant PF (Like your own story). Notice that I said one week, not 'forever'.

Like Judy's POD, I modified my activites (more bike, more swim, less running), got improved orthotics and now am PF pain free all bit a couple days a month. Notice that I did not stop running.

Now if a runner asks me what to do for an injury, I have a single respose: 'take 1 week off running, then bike more, swim more and run less until you are better'.

Rock.

Re: Rock,

No Name on 8/16/00 at 23:08 (025624)

Buddy roe, if you can still handle all that activity, you have a MUCH milder case than MANY of us here, so please do not compare your ability to keep on going with ours. We do the best we can. Some of us are hobbled by this illness. We are not lazy as you insinuate with your constant self congrats about how much activity you are still able to handle in spite of your PF (?) I tend to think the most you have is a case of tired feet from over activity.

Also, I'm also guessing that you don't have any children to care for at this time in your life. If you did, you would be so weary from seeing to their needs first that extra cirricular exercise would take a back seat. I do as much or more in a day than you do, but I don't get a marathon number pined to my shirt while I do it. ENOUGH ALREADY!

Yes, I am offended by how you trivialize an illness that has been a major obsticle for me and my family to deal with. Please be more considerate of those less fortuante than yourself.

john a on 8/17/00 at 09:12 (025639)

Let Rock be! It seems to me he's been nothing but even tempered and helpful here on the board. His advice is worthy of consideration, as is everyone's. And, frankly, how is _anyone_ to say how mild or severe anyone _else's_ pain is? I am a virtual cripple, Rock is apparently not. So what. Listen, learn and get better. That's what this board is all about.

john h on 8/15/00 at 10:18 (025479)

judy judy judy i agree with you that if when i first developed pf i had recognized the problem and quit running and rested i would not be posting on this board today.

JudyS on 8/15/00 at 10:41 (025482)

Finally! It has taken SO LONG for someone here to say my name properly! The other day I was playing softball, I was at the plate, the pitcher was a Judy and the catcher was a Judy - that was the most pure form of 'Judy Judy Judy' I've ever known!

Re: rest again......., well activity is good.

Rock on 8/15/00 at 12:02 (025491)

John H.,

I think the keyword is MODERATION.

We must learn to ration our rest in the same way we ration our activities to heal ourselves. Too much activity you get worse, too much rest you get worse.

If I had taken off a week from running back in March after a hard race I would not developed significant PF (Like your own story). Notice that I said one week, not 'forever'.

Like Judy's POD, I modified my activites (more bike, more swim, less running), got improved orthotics and now am PF pain free all bit a couple days a month. Notice that I did not stop running.

Now if a runner asks me what to do for an injury, I have a single respose: 'take 1 week off running, then bike more, swim more and run less until you are better'.

Rock.

No Name on 8/16/00 at 23:08 (025624)

Buddy roe, if you can still handle all that activity, you have a MUCH milder case than MANY of us here, so please do not compare your ability to keep on going with ours. We do the best we can. Some of us are hobbled by this illness. We are not lazy as you insinuate with your constant self congrats about how much activity you are still able to handle in spite of your PF (?) I tend to think the most you have is a case of tired feet from over activity.

Also, I'm also guessing that you don't have any children to care for at this time in your life. If you did, you would be so weary from seeing to their needs first that extra cirricular exercise would take a back seat. I do as much or more in a day than you do, but I don't get a marathon number pined to my shirt while I do it. ENOUGH ALREADY!

Yes, I am offended by how you trivialize an illness that has been a major obsticle for me and my family to deal with. Please be more considerate of those less fortuante than yourself.

john a on 8/17/00 at 09:12 (025639)

Let Rock be! It seems to me he's been nothing but even tempered and helpful here on the board. His advice is worthy of consideration, as is everyone's. And, frankly, how is _anyone_ to say how mild or severe anyone _else's_ pain is? I am a virtual cripple, Rock is apparently not. So what. Listen, learn and get better. That's what this board is all about.