Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Dr. Z or anybody!....another tissue question

Posted by Sue R on 8/16/00 at 08:10 (025544)

Dr. Z and pf sufferers,

Is it typical for pf pain to be all along the fascii, and not as much at the insertion point or heel after a while? Mine has steadily moved to the middle of my arch along this area. I'm at 3.5 months for this and am hoping that this will eventually stop hurting. I'm icing, slow stretching, resting, etc.

Thanks!
Sue

Re: Dr. Z or anybody!....another tissue question

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/16/00 at 08:23 (025546)

Most of the time it is at the insertion, but it can be anywhere along the length of the fascia such as you describe. You need to have stiff shank shoe support for this if you can tolerate the insert. I am sorry for asking but has the reasons for this been evaluated by any doctor or any treatment by a doctor. When ever some talks about pain in the arch area it is important to other anatomical structures such as the posterior tibial tendon and or the Anterior Tendon evaluated for any problems. such as a weakness or small tear.

Nancy S. on 8/16/00 at 08:49 (025547)

Sue, the bad PF pain stayed at the insertion point for me for many months. After it started to improve significantly (with Birks, rest, etc.), it did move around more. Now, as far as PF pain goes, which is minimal, it is more in the arch area you describe and sometimes farther back on the heel. Very little at the insertion point.
I get the impression from the board lately that what you describe is not too unusual.
Nancy

Pauline on 8/16/00 at 09:01 (025548)

Sue,
What you describe is very similar to my problem. Maybe it is the same. My pain and inflammation involves the entire arch. I have seen many Doctors and there is no magic bullet for cure. I think you know
all the stuff I am trying. The last thing I purchase was a slant board from the running magazine. I find this really helps to stretch the arch area. I like it because you can begin with a very low angle and advance. Using this I feet the stretch in the arch. Many times
with the other exercises I cannot actually feet that pulling in the
area.

Have you seen a Dr? What has he offered you? I just began the Bromelin. My goal is to get rid of the jello stuff that seems to be causing my pain.

Sue R on 8/16/00 at 16:00 (025583)

Yes, Dr. Z, I've been examined by an orthopedic surgeon and no weird problems like that....just pf! Ugh. So can I expect that this soreness will start easing up? All my questions regarding tissue really lead up to....'is this typical and can it heal on it's own the way soreness in the insertion area does?' My heal pain is almost gone...just a little at insertion and major sore all along pf.

I had a bad case in 1990 and it got better. Not totally pain-free but almost 100%. Just had to watch what shoes I wore.

I can't really tolerate a hard insole...is this what you mean by stiff shank? I'm wearing NB 990 tennies only..a running shoe. Any ideas...anybody?!

Thanks!
Sue R

Helene M on 8/16/00 at 20:48 (025608)

Sue, you are not alone. I also have had pain & swelling in the arch area only, for 7 months now. I'm also searching for a solution. I cannot tolerate anything whatsoever pressing on my arch. It seems to make it worse. None of my drs. have been able to figure this out but I feel my feet need the support of orthotics yet I can't wear them, so I can barely walk. I am feeling quite desperate right now.

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/16/00 at 08:23 (025546)

Most of the time it is at the insertion, but it can be anywhere along the length of the fascia such as you describe. You need to have stiff shank shoe support for this if you can tolerate the insert. I am sorry for asking but has the reasons for this been evaluated by any doctor or any treatment by a doctor. When ever some talks about pain in the arch area it is important to other anatomical structures such as the posterior tibial tendon and or the Anterior Tendon evaluated for any problems. such as a weakness or small tear.

Nancy S. on 8/16/00 at 08:49 (025547)

Sue, the bad PF pain stayed at the insertion point for me for many months. After it started to improve significantly (with Birks, rest, etc.), it did move around more. Now, as far as PF pain goes, which is minimal, it is more in the arch area you describe and sometimes farther back on the heel. Very little at the insertion point.
I get the impression from the board lately that what you describe is not too unusual.
Nancy

Pauline on 8/16/00 at 09:01 (025548)

Sue,
What you describe is very similar to my problem. Maybe it is the same. My pain and inflammation involves the entire arch. I have seen many Doctors and there is no magic bullet for cure. I think you know
all the stuff I am trying. The last thing I purchase was a slant board from the running magazine. I find this really helps to stretch the arch area. I like it because you can begin with a very low angle and advance. Using this I feet the stretch in the arch. Many times
with the other exercises I cannot actually feet that pulling in the
area.

Have you seen a Dr? What has he offered you? I just began the Bromelin. My goal is to get rid of the jello stuff that seems to be causing my pain.

Sue R on 8/16/00 at 16:00 (025583)

Yes, Dr. Z, I've been examined by an orthopedic surgeon and no weird problems like that....just pf! Ugh. So can I expect that this soreness will start easing up? All my questions regarding tissue really lead up to....'is this typical and can it heal on it's own the way soreness in the insertion area does?' My heal pain is almost gone...just a little at insertion and major sore all along pf.

I had a bad case in 1990 and it got better. Not totally pain-free but almost 100%. Just had to watch what shoes I wore.

I can't really tolerate a hard insole...is this what you mean by stiff shank? I'm wearing NB 990 tennies only..a running shoe. Any ideas...anybody?!

Thanks!
Sue R

Helene M on 8/16/00 at 20:48 (025608)

Sue, you are not alone. I also have had pain & swelling in the arch area only, for 7 months now. I'm also searching for a solution. I cannot tolerate anything whatsoever pressing on my arch. It seems to make it worse. None of my drs. have been able to figure this out but I feel my feet need the support of orthotics yet I can't wear them, so I can barely walk. I am feeling quite desperate right now.