Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Heel leg & back pain

Posted by Bobbie T on 8/16/00 at 11:17 (025560)

Hello,
I've had foot & heel pain since my mid 20's. I am now in my mid 40's I have been diagnosied with heel spurs and treatment includes steriods when flare ups are unbearable. Otherwise I have been prescribed NSAD and most recently Vioxx. I was also told by PCP that the sciatic nerve inflammation was the cause of intense pain and traveled up leg to my lower back with intense pain (stinging & burning) also in my buttocks. This has been an ongoing process for about five years and nothing has helped. I've tried SAS shoes, heel pads, & stretching exercises as recommended. PT is currently being recommended which I hope relieves some pain. My foot has never been x-rayed and I've never been referred to a POD. The heel pain is most intense in mornings but the back & buttock pains develops durning daily activity. I hope someone can offer some encouragemnet.
Thanks,
Bobbie

Re: Heel leg & back pain

Terry on 8/16/00 at 11:44 (025563)

Bobbie, I wore SAS Freetime for about 3 years (not the same pair), and I really believe they worsened my condition. The sole is very flexible, and PF's need a stiffer sole. Have you tried Birks? There is a ton of good Birk info on this board. Terry

john h on 8/16/00 at 12:24 (025569)

bobbie: somewhere along the way you should have had an MRI for your back pain. your symptoms are very symptomatic of a bulging disc which can be treated conservatively. i would demand an mri from my provider for my back.

wendyn on 8/16/00 at 12:57 (025575)

I agree with John - you should have your back thoroughly investigated. Back problems can cause sciatica and foot pain. Or - foot problems can cause foot pain and sciatica. It can be very difficult to know where the problem is stemming from. 20 years is a long time without answers, you should insist on a referral to a good orthapedic surgeon, preferably one that specializes is in feet or lower backs. Giving you steroids and Vioxx will not fix your problem - it's only a band aid solution.

For pain relief in the mean time - consider acupuncture, I have similar symptoms to you and acupuncture has done great things for me.

john h on 8/16/00 at 18:39 (025593)

an interesting fact that came out of the FDA studies on ESWT was that people who had back pain along with PF had better outcomes for the treatment of ESWT with the ossatron than did those who did not have back pain. the panel discounted this with no explanation. i have been undergoing a long series of test on my back for 4-5 months consisting of mri,epidurals,facet injections,radio frequency lesioning and probably a discogram in sept. i intend to take my results to a Dr Regan with the Texas Back Institute in Plano,TX (www.texasback.com). he is probably the foemost back surgeon in the country doing minimal invasvive surgery on the back, disc fusions are done from the front thru the abdomen with camera and very small instruments. no large back muscles are cut. he also does minimal invasive surgery for other back problems. his profile is on the web site i mentioned.

john h on 8/16/00 at 18:41 (025594)

the rockport pro walker has a very stiff sole and comes in styles that appear dressy.

Re: Check out Piriformis Syndrome

Kim B. on 8/16/00 at 20:45 (025607)

Hi Bobbie,

Do a search on piriformis syndrome here at the site. I have hand a lot of problems with siatica in the past and have found that when I properly stretch the piriformis muscle, I have a lot less trouble with it. Evidently, the piriformis muscle choke off the sciatic nerve and keeps it irritated. Hope this helps. It does for me.

Regards, Kim B.

Bobbie T. on 8/17/00 at 10:39 (025650)

Thanks for the info I will check it out!
Bobbie

Bobbie T. on 8/17/00 at 10:44 (025652)

I recently had an MRI after injury to my back. It did show a bugling disc & I am soon to see an Ortho-Surgeon. However before the back pain I already had the sciatic flare up as my PCP stated. The MRI showed no pressure against the nerve in the back. Leaving me to wonder is this from the heel pain. Thanks for the info & I do intend to ask this OS about the correlation. However, Ive been told PT will be recommended. This board has been at least encouraging.
Bobbie T.

Bobbie T on 8/17/00 at 12:46 (025658)

Hi
I have considered acupuncture but dont know where to find the treatment. I have insisted on the Orthapdeic and have appt. today. MY PCP is recommended therapy & pain management. Im hoping this will help but Im not encouraged since Ive been doing some exercises on my own. Hope you are doing well with your treatment and are pain free!
Bobbie

wendyn on 8/17/00 at 18:09 (025684)

Check with some local sports medicine types...call around to physio places and ask if they do acupuncture as well. Ask around people you know. Your best bet is if you can find someone trained in both medical and traditional acupuncture. Make sure that whoever you end up with can communicate well with you, and that they are certified.

Terry on 8/16/00 at 11:44 (025563)

Bobbie, I wore SAS Freetime for about 3 years (not the same pair), and I really believe they worsened my condition. The sole is very flexible, and PF's need a stiffer sole. Have you tried Birks? There is a ton of good Birk info on this board. Terry

john h on 8/16/00 at 12:24 (025569)

bobbie: somewhere along the way you should have had an MRI for your back pain. your symptoms are very symptomatic of a bulging disc which can be treated conservatively. i would demand an mri from my provider for my back.

wendyn on 8/16/00 at 12:57 (025575)

I agree with John - you should have your back thoroughly investigated. Back problems can cause sciatica and foot pain. Or - foot problems can cause foot pain and sciatica. It can be very difficult to know where the problem is stemming from. 20 years is a long time without answers, you should insist on a referral to a good orthapedic surgeon, preferably one that specializes is in feet or lower backs. Giving you steroids and Vioxx will not fix your problem - it's only a band aid solution.

For pain relief in the mean time - consider acupuncture, I have similar symptoms to you and acupuncture has done great things for me.

john h on 8/16/00 at 18:39 (025593)

an interesting fact that came out of the FDA studies on ESWT was that people who had back pain along with PF had better outcomes for the treatment of ESWT with the ossatron than did those who did not have back pain. the panel discounted this with no explanation. i have been undergoing a long series of test on my back for 4-5 months consisting of mri,epidurals,facet injections,radio frequency lesioning and probably a discogram in sept. i intend to take my results to a Dr Regan with the Texas Back Institute in Plano,TX (www.texasback.com). he is probably the foemost back surgeon in the country doing minimal invasvive surgery on the back, disc fusions are done from the front thru the abdomen with camera and very small instruments. no large back muscles are cut. he also does minimal invasive surgery for other back problems. his profile is on the web site i mentioned.

john h on 8/16/00 at 18:41 (025594)

the rockport pro walker has a very stiff sole and comes in styles that appear dressy.

Re: Check out Piriformis Syndrome

Kim B. on 8/16/00 at 20:45 (025607)

Hi Bobbie,

Do a search on piriformis syndrome here at the site. I have hand a lot of problems with siatica in the past and have found that when I properly stretch the piriformis muscle, I have a lot less trouble with it. Evidently, the piriformis muscle choke off the sciatic nerve and keeps it irritated. Hope this helps. It does for me.

Regards, Kim B.

Bobbie T. on 8/17/00 at 10:39 (025650)

Thanks for the info I will check it out!
Bobbie

Bobbie T. on 8/17/00 at 10:44 (025652)

I recently had an MRI after injury to my back. It did show a bugling disc & I am soon to see an Ortho-Surgeon. However before the back pain I already had the sciatic flare up as my PCP stated. The MRI showed no pressure against the nerve in the back. Leaving me to wonder is this from the heel pain. Thanks for the info & I do intend to ask this OS about the correlation. However, Ive been told PT will be recommended. This board has been at least encouraging.
Bobbie T.

Bobbie T on 8/17/00 at 12:46 (025658)

Hi
I have considered acupuncture but dont know where to find the treatment. I have insisted on the Orthapdeic and have appt. today. MY PCP is recommended therapy & pain management. Im hoping this will help but Im not encouraged since Ive been doing some exercises on my own. Hope you are doing well with your treatment and are pain free!
Bobbie

wendyn on 8/17/00 at 18:09 (025684)

Check with some local sports medicine types...call around to physio places and ask if they do acupuncture as well. Ask around people you know. Your best bet is if you can find someone trained in both medical and traditional acupuncture. Make sure that whoever you end up with can communicate well with you, and that they are certified.