Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Hello Everybody-Stiff Shanked boots?

Posted by CarlW on 8/16/00 at 17:13 (025588)

Hello Everybody.

I have been viewing the information on heelspurs.com for a number of months now ,but have not posted.
The advice is excellent to the point of making the podiatrist visits redundant and have incorporated much of it into my pf regime. A quick summary- I developed PF from a sudden injury in November of 99. It progressively worsened until I was limping severely in March . I began my real self treatment in April and and continue to rest, ice when aggravated, wear birkestocks, gently stretch, tried glucose amine, NSAIDS (celebrex), custom orthotics,physio, and purchased the PFT. I have improved but would only gauge myself at around 25% I am able to take short walks of about 15 minutes with a minimal level of pain and then my feet rapidly deteriorate. . I have found that with this condition it is very difficult to determine what helps and what does not. It appears that none of them alone are the 'answer' but it may take a variety of things to cure it. I now have it in both feet from favoring my initial injured foot.

A friend of mine who had PF who is majoring in Kinesiology had PF and beat it with the following approach, which I am considering trying. He 'messed around' with PF for approximately 1 year trying various conservative treatment methods with little success until he tried the following approach. He basically ended up wearing a pair of stiff shanked hiking boots for about 5 months. His theory was that you want a lot of scar tissue to build up around the fascia initially to allow healing to occur underneath. After that he ended up gradually beginning running to break up the scar tissue and hope to have a healed fascia under neath. His method worked and he is now completely pain free and training for a marathon. He felt that the problem with many treatment methods is that they start too early in trying to break up scar tissue and don't give the fascia enough time to heal. He felt it was similar to scab tissue on the skin. If you keep breaking it off ,the wound would not heal. Any comments before on the I start living in a pair of Frankenstein boots??????

Sorry for the long post.

Re: Hello Everybody-Stiff Shanked boots?

Pauline on 8/16/00 at 19:17 (025602)

Carl,
This is an interesting theory. I think we should check into it.

Charles T on 8/17/00 at 04:12 (025629)

What model hiking shoe has a stiff shank?

Susan S on 8/17/00 at 07:58 (025632)

You may have hit upon something here. I went skiing over Christmas last year and was virtually painfree while I was in Colorado. Haven't really thought much about it bur perhaps it was the boots..... It's worth a try and fall is coming. Boots wouldn't be as out of place.

Rock on 8/17/00 at 07:59 (025633)

CarlW,

'stiff shanked hiking boots'

Interesting. Maybe that is why lots of road cycling in super stiff bike racing shoes seems to help my PF ?

Rock.

John C. on 8/17/00 at 08:34 (025635)

Carl,
Like you, I got PF from a sudden injury. I am a runner and it took me 16 months to get back to running. I'm really thankful for this message board. Yes, I am cured now.

I had good success with hiking boots and massage. I didn't start the massage part until I my pain was down to about 20%. I never knew if starting it earlier would have done as well. If you like, you can do a search on my past messages just by searching on 'John c'.

Hope this helps.

John C.

Tony Keller on 8/17/00 at 15:04 (025666)

I think there is some credence to the use of a cushioned but yet stiff soled shoe in at least keeping PF from getting worse. I have had this condition for two years. I have gotten orthotics, iced, antiinflammatories, etc, etc. My problem is I can't stay off my feet so consequently in two years I am not healed. But last winter for three months I went rabbit hunting in Rocky hunting boots with a booty in them and my PF actually got better during the winter. Also contributing was the fact that most of my walking was on grass and dirt(soft surfaces). Standing on hard concrete for very long hurts the most. The other example of stiff shoes I've tried is the Merrell hiking boots I got last fall. They are cushiony but do not flex at all. I felt I have been able to do a lot more activity with this shoe as walking, biking etc. and not have the condition get worse. Therefore, I am of the belief that cushioned but stiff boots help keep the condition of PF from getting worse with activity but may not help it get any better. I personally have being living with this ondition without improvement for so long that I feel it may be a way of life for me from now. I'll just do what I can. I just just just cannot do complete rest. My personality and mental attitude just won't let me. I may be taking this to my grave. Good luck to every one else!!!!

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/17/00 at 16:02 (025674)

The stiff shanked boot is the way to go. Has a slight heel elevation.

Re: Which lines? Especially for women's feet.

Beverly on 8/17/00 at 17:36 (025680)

Oh my, more shoes to consider. As many of you know, I am a 'shoeaholic,' and with PF, it's even worse as I shop for the eternal shoe. I've never considered hiking boots. I'm just not the hiking boot type, and I live in the South, but if it might help the pain, I'd give them a try.

I know nothing about hiking boots. Which brands do you reccommend for women's feet? (average width/semi-high arches) I need one that has comfy uppers. When you say heel cushion, do you mean I should put a heel cup in the boot?

Thanks,
Beverly

Re: Hiking Boots

Terry on 8/17/00 at 18:52 (025691)

Remember Dang Dave from about 6 months ago? Didn't he tout his hiking boots? Anyone remember what kind? Terry

Wanda M on 8/17/00 at 19:14 (025692)

I work construction so i have to wear steel toe boots, they feel pretty good till around 1 or 2 in the afternoon by then i am hunting my birks, thank God i have a job i can do that on. But i am always in the market for a good fix or cure. If you find out the name of the boots please post. Birk makes a hiking boot but well over $200 and then a gamble if it works. My work boots are made by Redwing ropers.

Re: Try Rockports or New Balance with rollbar feature

T. Hurst on 8/17/00 at 21:01 (025706)

I am 22 days post-op epf surgery both feet. I've recently had luck with my custom orthodics in Rockports - not a hiking model, just a walking shoe with a stiff sole. Also, most running shoes were too flexible for me, but I recently got a pair of New Balance with the rollbar feature, which is just the stiff shank. The websites that feature NB shoes will tell you which ones have the rollbar. Stiff shoes make all the difference!

Pauline on 8/16/00 at 19:17 (025602)

Carl,
This is an interesting theory. I think we should check into it.

Charles T on 8/17/00 at 04:12 (025629)

What model hiking shoe has a stiff shank?

Susan S on 8/17/00 at 07:58 (025632)

You may have hit upon something here. I went skiing over Christmas last year and was virtually painfree while I was in Colorado. Haven't really thought much about it bur perhaps it was the boots..... It's worth a try and fall is coming. Boots wouldn't be as out of place.

Rock on 8/17/00 at 07:59 (025633)

CarlW,

'stiff shanked hiking boots'

Interesting. Maybe that is why lots of road cycling in super stiff bike racing shoes seems to help my PF ?

Rock.

John C. on 8/17/00 at 08:34 (025635)

Carl,
Like you, I got PF from a sudden injury. I am a runner and it took me 16 months to get back to running. I'm really thankful for this message board. Yes, I am cured now.

I had good success with hiking boots and massage. I didn't start the massage part until I my pain was down to about 20%. I never knew if starting it earlier would have done as well. If you like, you can do a search on my past messages just by searching on 'John c'.

Hope this helps.

John C.

Tony Keller on 8/17/00 at 15:04 (025666)

I think there is some credence to the use of a cushioned but yet stiff soled shoe in at least keeping PF from getting worse. I have had this condition for two years. I have gotten orthotics, iced, antiinflammatories, etc, etc. My problem is I can't stay off my feet so consequently in two years I am not healed. But last winter for three months I went rabbit hunting in Rocky hunting boots with a booty in them and my PF actually got better during the winter. Also contributing was the fact that most of my walking was on grass and dirt(soft surfaces). Standing on hard concrete for very long hurts the most. The other example of stiff shoes I've tried is the Merrell hiking boots I got last fall. They are cushiony but do not flex at all. I felt I have been able to do a lot more activity with this shoe as walking, biking etc. and not have the condition get worse. Therefore, I am of the belief that cushioned but stiff boots help keep the condition of PF from getting worse with activity but may not help it get any better. I personally have being living with this ondition without improvement for so long that I feel it may be a way of life for me from now. I'll just do what I can. I just just just cannot do complete rest. My personality and mental attitude just won't let me. I may be taking this to my grave. Good luck to every one else!!!!

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/17/00 at 16:02 (025674)

The stiff shanked boot is the way to go. Has a slight heel elevation.

Re: Which lines? Especially for women's feet.

Beverly on 8/17/00 at 17:36 (025680)

Oh my, more shoes to consider. As many of you know, I am a 'shoeaholic,' and with PF, it's even worse as I shop for the eternal shoe. I've never considered hiking boots. I'm just not the hiking boot type, and I live in the South, but if it might help the pain, I'd give them a try.

I know nothing about hiking boots. Which brands do you reccommend for women's feet? (average width/semi-high arches) I need one that has comfy uppers. When you say heel cushion, do you mean I should put a heel cup in the boot?

Thanks,
Beverly

Terry on 8/17/00 at 18:52 (025691)

Remember Dang Dave from about 6 months ago? Didn't he tout his hiking boots? Anyone remember what kind? Terry

Wanda M on 8/17/00 at 19:14 (025692)

I work construction so i have to wear steel toe boots, they feel pretty good till around 1 or 2 in the afternoon by then i am hunting my birks, thank God i have a job i can do that on. But i am always in the market for a good fix or cure. If you find out the name of the boots please post. Birk makes a hiking boot but well over $200 and then a gamble if it works. My work boots are made by Redwing ropers.

Re: Try Rockports or New Balance with rollbar feature

T. Hurst on 8/17/00 at 21:01 (025706)

I am 22 days post-op epf surgery both feet. I've recently had luck with my custom orthodics in Rockports - not a hiking model, just a walking shoe with a stiff sole. Also, most running shoes were too flexible for me, but I recently got a pair of New Balance with the rollbar feature, which is just the stiff shank. The websites that feature NB shoes will tell you which ones have the rollbar. Stiff shoes make all the difference!