Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Another Sonorex update

Posted by Astrid Bierworth on 8/16/00 at 18:19 (025592)

If you remember my previous postings, I had 3 Sonorex treatments in April-May and 2 more in June. The situation has not changed a whole lot, which is no palpable pain in the morning and only palpable pain as the day wears on. I was having problems trying even short runs as I would be limping the rest of the day. In July we went to Halifax for a few days and did a LOT of walking, hills included. I had no problems.

I decided to try something new: I bought Spenco insoles, which are soft (my orthotics are hard) and tried short runs in those. I had no real problems, only a minor bit of pain afterwards. I spoke to the physio who did the Sonorex about it, and he said to continue the running program using the Spencos (I am doing a beginners program), but do not advance too quickly. He said to back off a bit if I have pain which would distract me from whatever else I did during the day. He suggested using the Spencos for running but the orthotics for everything else.

I generally use my running shoes during the day and my my sandals (with the orthotics) as house slippers at night.

The physio is very pleased with my progress. I told him if I were not a runner, I would be ecstatic with it. But as a runner, I have lofty goals. Like maybe a half marathon next year. No marathons for me - that is what landed me in this mess in the first place - training for a marathon!

Astrid.

Re: Another Sonorex update

john h on 8/16/00 at 18:56 (025599)

from what i read in the FDA papers on ESWT there was sort of a contraindication for hard orthotics after ESWT. it seemed that people who used hard orthotics after treatment did not fare as well as others.

Astrid Bierworth on 8/17/00 at 04:37 (025630)

That's very interesting, John. I have never heard of that before. Where can I get more info on this subject? It might be a good idea for me to pass that along to the people with the Sonorex machine in Ottawa where I went. Thanks for the comment.

Astrid.

john h on 8/17/00 at 09:44 (025646)

i think i read it in the full length version of the FDA minutes on the Ossatron trials. I will read it again and advise.

john h on 8/16/00 at 18:56 (025599)

from what i read in the FDA papers on ESWT there was sort of a contraindication for hard orthotics after ESWT. it seemed that people who used hard orthotics after treatment did not fare as well as others.

Astrid Bierworth on 8/17/00 at 04:37 (025630)

That's very interesting, John. I have never heard of that before. Where can I get more info on this subject? It might be a good idea for me to pass that along to the people with the Sonorex machine in Ottawa where I went. Thanks for the comment.

Astrid.

john h on 8/17/00 at 09:44 (025646)

i think i read it in the full length version of the FDA minutes on the Ossatron trials. I will read it again and advise.