Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

To Dr Z or anyone else who can advise about hyper-sensitive arches

Posted by Helene M on 8/16/00 at 21:35 (025613)

A few days ago Sue R asked if her arches will eventually heal & if there could be damage. Dr Z responded that they should heal but could lose strength & elastic support. Could you elaborate on that? Does that mean permanently lose strength & support or can that be reversed? (reversed by PFT or stretching, for example). I thought the fascia was not elastic, meaning the fascia itself doesn't stretch. I have long-term PF & I, too, have been concerned about damage. My PF pain & swelling is in arch area only. I try to keep up with all advice on this board & have tried so many things recommended here. Stretching has irritated it so bad at times, I could barely walk. Whenever my arches calm down, I try the orthotics again ( I've had them adjusted many times & many pairs) for maybe only a half hour at most. It feels great at first to have all that support back in my shoes & my gut feeling is I need that support but the result is I always set myself back to square one pretty quickly. Then I must remove the orthotics & hobble around once again for days or weeks until the arches calm down again. Then I try again & the cycle repeats. What am I doing wrong that I cannot escape from this vicious cycle? Any tests you would recommend? I might add I've had all the blood tests & all results were normal. Thanks for any advice or comments!

Re: To Dr Z or anyone else who can advise about hyper-sensitive arches

Dr Zuckerman on 8/16/00 at 22:56 (025622)

Once you lose strength and elastic support of either the pf and or the intrinic muscles underneath the pf such as FDB, QP etc. it is hard but not impossible to strenghten these structures. The personal foot trainer is a great device for this very specific condition. I would first have another evaluation to determine the strenght of your Posterior tibial tendon and its ability to function. This may include an MRI .

Sue R on 8/17/00 at 09:10 (025638)

Can ESWT help with this problem - regarding lost elastisity? How do you know? My fascii stick out big time when I flex my foot. Is this normal?

Re: Thank you Dr. Z

Helene M on 8/17/00 at 10:00 (025648)

My pod seems to have given up on me but I will go back & ask for further evaluation.

Pauline on 8/17/00 at 10:19 (025649)

Sue,
Sorry I'm not Dr.Z but I have a question? It it your fascia or
the tendon that runs from heel to toe that is sticking out. I'm trying to compare with what I have. When I flex my foot my tendon
sticks out, its very sore and sometime puffy, but the jello like
substance is more to the side and under this tendon. Is yours like that??

ChuckC on 8/17/00 at 10:43 (025651)

Helen, try putting a thin, flat, foam insert over each of your orthotics. I used Walgreens or Kroger's Perfect brand of insert--the cheapest they sell. These inserts conform perfectly to the shape of the orthotic and stopped my arch pain. I still use them when I jog so that my foot is not always bearing/slamming against hard plastic.

Helene M on 8/17/00 at 11:58 (025656)

Thank you, Chuck. I will try that. Actually none of my orthotics are hard plastic.

Sue R on 8/17/00 at 14:24 (025661)

Yes, exactly. I don't know if it's the tendon or fascia but it's tight as a wire when I flex my foot. And it get's mushy all around it, especially when sore. I'm worried but I don't know if it's always been like this.

Re: Pauline and Sue

Kim B. on 8/17/00 at 16:41 (025677)

Hi Pauline and Sue, while you are comparing arches let me get my 2 pennys in. I have the tight tendon too, but so does my husband who's feet are fine. My tendon is tender and hurts a lot at times. There is a name for this tendon, but I don't know what it is.

Now, that glob of extra fat... is a glob of extra fat. Pauline calls it jello I think. I've asked docs about it and they say it is within' normal to have that there. It gets inflammed and I have some swelling in the area on bad days, btw. Not sure, but I think the 'baxter' nerve runs somewhere under or around it or connects nearby, and when baxter ain't happy, nobody is happy! For a while, my baster fat glob was so tender, I couldn't stand to touch it or allow it to be touched by anything. It has gotten better.

This is a very non technical post. Corrections to what I've stated here are welcomed and admired.

Regards, Kim B.

Dr Zuckerman on 8/16/00 at 22:56 (025622)

Once you lose strength and elastic support of either the pf and or the intrinic muscles underneath the pf such as FDB, QP etc. it is hard but not impossible to strenghten these structures. The personal foot trainer is a great device for this very specific condition. I would first have another evaluation to determine the strenght of your Posterior tibial tendon and its ability to function. This may include an MRI .

Sue R on 8/17/00 at 09:10 (025638)

Can ESWT help with this problem - regarding lost elastisity? How do you know? My fascii stick out big time when I flex my foot. Is this normal?

Re: Thank you Dr. Z

Helene M on 8/17/00 at 10:00 (025648)

My pod seems to have given up on me but I will go back & ask for further evaluation.

Pauline on 8/17/00 at 10:19 (025649)

Sue,
Sorry I'm not Dr.Z but I have a question? It it your fascia or
the tendon that runs from heel to toe that is sticking out. I'm trying to compare with what I have. When I flex my foot my tendon
sticks out, its very sore and sometime puffy, but the jello like
substance is more to the side and under this tendon. Is yours like that??

ChuckC on 8/17/00 at 10:43 (025651)

Helen, try putting a thin, flat, foam insert over each of your orthotics. I used Walgreens or Kroger's Perfect brand of insert--the cheapest they sell. These inserts conform perfectly to the shape of the orthotic and stopped my arch pain. I still use them when I jog so that my foot is not always bearing/slamming against hard plastic.

Helene M on 8/17/00 at 11:58 (025656)

Thank you, Chuck. I will try that. Actually none of my orthotics are hard plastic.

Sue R on 8/17/00 at 14:24 (025661)

Yes, exactly. I don't know if it's the tendon or fascia but it's tight as a wire when I flex my foot. And it get's mushy all around it, especially when sore. I'm worried but I don't know if it's always been like this.

Re: Pauline and Sue

Kim B. on 8/17/00 at 16:41 (025677)

Hi Pauline and Sue, while you are comparing arches let me get my 2 pennys in. I have the tight tendon too, but so does my husband who's feet are fine. My tendon is tender and hurts a lot at times. There is a name for this tendon, but I don't know what it is.

Now, that glob of extra fat... is a glob of extra fat. Pauline calls it jello I think. I've asked docs about it and they say it is within' normal to have that there. It gets inflammed and I have some swelling in the area on bad days, btw. Not sure, but I think the 'baxter' nerve runs somewhere under or around it or connects nearby, and when baxter ain't happy, nobody is happy! For a while, my baster fat glob was so tender, I couldn't stand to touch it or allow it to be touched by anything. It has gotten better.

This is a very non technical post. Corrections to what I've stated here are welcomed and admired.

Regards, Kim B.