Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

stiff hiking boots, Are Birkenstock boots like this? And Question for nancy

Posted by salina on 8/17/00 at 12:36 (025657)

I read john c.'s past messages. Very interesting. I think there is something true about that because I have bought several pair of great athletic shoes with great arch support in them, and they feel so good for the first day, then I can't wear them anymore because i think they allow so much flexibility in the arch area, and cushiony, that I overstretch my arch area all over again and end up in pain for a week. These hard as ____ birks are the only shoes that don't do that. My point, there is one, has anyone tried any of the birkenstock hiking boots, and if so, how are they?
Nancy, I read, somewhere, that you were wearing a pair of hiking boots also. Is this still the case?
And, i have never ever even held a pair of hiking boots in my hands before, much less worn a pair. So I have to ask, do they usually come with a pretty good arch, or are they mostly flat as a board in there?

Re: stiff hiking boots, Are Birkenstock boots like this? And Question for nancy

Nancy S. on 8/17/00 at 14:24 (025662)

Hi Salina, Yes, I have a good pair of hiking boots (called HiTec, I never heard of them before, but they're very well made, don't bend at all at the arch, and have what I would call small arch support inside -- not flat as boards).
It wasn't until sometime this last spring that I discovered they feel almost as good as Birks (but not quite). I finally discovered this when I stopped putting orthotics in them and wore them just as they are. Much better than any of my orthotics. I have 'normal' arches, by the way. Just like you say, I can't wear athletic shoes -- they're too cushiony and pliable or something.
Birks still feel the best to me, but second best are my hiking boots, orthotic-free. Right now one foot is in an aircast, and I'm wearing a hiking boot on the other foot to bring both feet close to the same level. The Birk is too low to go with the cast; I'd end up a permanent peg-leg.
I'd like to find higher-up-the-leg boots for Maine winters, but if I can't find any to work I'll do fine with the ones I have or even with Boston Birks.
I've never tried Birkenstock hiking boots. I didn't know they have any!
I don't guess you need boots for snow in Hawaii, eh? But I do recommend trying good hiking boots for PF in any climate. John H won't really approve of the look, but he'll get over it!
Nancy

salina on 8/17/00 at 15:13 (025668)

Hi Nancy, I am sorry you are still working at getting rid of this.
I hope the aircast is giving you some relief. I am starting to think both my husband and I contracted something that tore up our soft tissues, because I am now having to see a doctor because of neck and shoulder pain, and my husband will soon be having surgery on his shoulder, it is all tore up and we don't even know how or why. He doesn't really do anything other than push ups, he's a truck driver, so the worst we thought we'd have to deal with was hemmorroids, haha.
But it seems like we are both falling apart.
Anyway, i saw some birkenstock hiking boots, some are just shoes, I think under the Footprints Outdoor section, Tatami has so called hiking type sandals, but they look awfully flexible. Do you have any Footprint shoes from birkenstock, if so, how is the footbed? Similar to the Arizonas? That would be so perfect for me if that is the case. I wrote to the german company and asked them about the footbeds, because I wear a pair of waterproof Betula Sharks from them, and the footbed is ok, but not half as good as the arizona. And they just wrote back acting like they were offended that I didn't like the darn Betulas. They said every footbed is the same, NOT!!! I hope I didn't make them mad and that is why I haven't received my inserts from them. OOps. Maybe it is because the Betulas I got are that plastic stuff instead of leather and cork.
If I get a pair of the hiking boots, I will report back with a picture of me in them at the beach. hey, John might like that one better than the socks, haha. If I could lose a few pounds I would be able to pass myself off as 'the athletic type', they get away with wearing anything, people just assume they just came from somewhere 'doing something athletic'. But I will just look like a dumpy woman who doesn't know how to dress. Oh, I saw the birkenstock hiking boots in a birkenstock express catalog or something, I don't remember if they were on the german site or not, so I don't confuse anyone.
Something that feels good: I put my feet in a water foot massager, with really hot water, then I already have a pan of really ice cold water sitting beside that, and I plunge (well, maybe not PLUNGE) my feet into the ice water. About five or ten minutes with the hot water massager, then ten or more minutes with the ice water. Dont know if it is helping, but it sure feels good. If I use heat, it feels good while doing it, but afterwards, my feet are achey and throbbing. But combining the two (four days in a row so far, twice a day) leaves my feet rejuvenated. My feet get so stiff, all over, that is what prompted me to start with the foot soaker. But I really have to go heavy on the ice afterwards. But unfortunately I just iced, and my girls dumped an entire bag of pretzels on the floor and are smashing them all over, and I can only sit and watch because my feet are still too cold to get up. Ah, what a blessing they are.

Nancy S. on 8/18/00 at 05:01 (025724)

Salina, it's interesting (in an unfortunate way!) that both you and your husband are having tendon or joint problems now. Alan k and his wife both apparently came down with foot problems following a virus or flu that they both had. What's with your shoulders and neck? Picking up too many kids or what?
Ya, I can't figure out why Birkenstock keeps telling everyone all their footbeds are the same. Don't they wear their own shoes? I've tried on many different styles, and they all feel different. I haven't tried any Footprints, though. But I do have a pair of Tatami Nebraskas -- they're the regular Tatami line, not hiking. Both they and the classic Bostons feel best to me. The Nebraskas have a slightly higher arch.
You can make 'dumpy' into a cool style, you know. Steve P called me 'dressed-up' looking in my photo with Judy, so you see at least one person bought it. What a saint!
My PF is actually a lot better than when you were last on the board. Still there, but not bad. It's the achilles and other tendonitis that developed that seem to be the main problem now. I start out the day with a really hot bath that covers my legs completely -- like you, it feels good to me too -- then I do my first little stretches of the day, ice, rest a little while, and then put on my apparatus and start trying to have a life. I think I get to have a life for about a third of the day right now -- it's really a lot quieter than I'm used to. But when I'm done with the cast and PT, watch out! I hope!
I hope you get a good physical therapist who rates your legs appropriately . . .
Nancy

Terry on 8/18/00 at 08:09 (025728)

Nancy - This is what I got from the Birkenstock people when I asked them to describe the different footbeds. I imagine that everyone knows all of this by now. They left out Papillio.
'There are 5 different footbeds:
1. the normal Birkenstock Footbed. This footbed is used for all sub-brands of Birkenstock. It has the included toe grip, arch support and a heel cup.
2. the Tatami low footbed which at the moment is only available with the Schumacher epecial edition and some other Tatami shoes. These footbeds have a deeper heel cup and higher arch support. Many customers suffering from heel spurs like to wear these shoes.
3. the PU (plastic) sandals and clogs from Tatami, Betula, and Birkis which are almost the same as the Birkenstock footbed but the material is softer and widens a little more when standing on it.
4. the footprints metropolitan footbed and ladies footbed (also the wedge heel and heel shoes from Tatami) do not have a toegrep and some of them have an included heel cushion.
5. the soft footbeds styles from Birkenstock which have a complete cushioning layer.' Terry

Nancy S. on 8/18/00 at 12:34 (025742)

Terry, thank you for this info.! Very useful. It's far more than I've been able to get out of them and most of it is news to me. As a Birks fan, I thank you again.
Nancy

Terry on 8/18/00 at 17:47 (025767)

Nancy - Don't you have something in Tatami? How would you compare that to the classic Birk? I wonder if I should've ordered my 2nd pair in Tatami. Too late now. Thanks, Terry

Nancy S. on 8/19/00 at 05:17 (025797)

Terry, yes, I have a pair of Tatami Nebraskas. I love them. After developing the achilles (and peroneal and post. tib.) tendonitis, I've stopped wearing them for a while, afraid the back strap might irritate the achilles. But to me the Nebraskas in general feel just as good as my Boston Birks. The Nebraskas have a slightly higher arch, that's the only difference that I can notice, but both footbeds feel great to me. Oh, and the Tatami footbed is lower, as you know, but that seems to make no difference in how the footbed itself feels. The only thing it does is make your foot feel a little more protected around the edges, which is one thing I like about them.
Nancy

Nancy S. on 8/17/00 at 14:24 (025662)

Hi Salina, Yes, I have a good pair of hiking boots (called HiTec, I never heard of them before, but they're very well made, don't bend at all at the arch, and have what I would call small arch support inside -- not flat as boards).
It wasn't until sometime this last spring that I discovered they feel almost as good as Birks (but not quite). I finally discovered this when I stopped putting orthotics in them and wore them just as they are. Much better than any of my orthotics. I have 'normal' arches, by the way. Just like you say, I can't wear athletic shoes -- they're too cushiony and pliable or something.
Birks still feel the best to me, but second best are my hiking boots, orthotic-free. Right now one foot is in an aircast, and I'm wearing a hiking boot on the other foot to bring both feet close to the same level. The Birk is too low to go with the cast; I'd end up a permanent peg-leg.
I'd like to find higher-up-the-leg boots for Maine winters, but if I can't find any to work I'll do fine with the ones I have or even with Boston Birks.
I've never tried Birkenstock hiking boots. I didn't know they have any!
I don't guess you need boots for snow in Hawaii, eh? But I do recommend trying good hiking boots for PF in any climate. John H won't really approve of the look, but he'll get over it!
Nancy

salina on 8/17/00 at 15:13 (025668)

Hi Nancy, I am sorry you are still working at getting rid of this.
I hope the aircast is giving you some relief. I am starting to think both my husband and I contracted something that tore up our soft tissues, because I am now having to see a doctor because of neck and shoulder pain, and my husband will soon be having surgery on his shoulder, it is all tore up and we don't even know how or why. He doesn't really do anything other than push ups, he's a truck driver, so the worst we thought we'd have to deal with was hemmorroids, haha.
But it seems like we are both falling apart.
Anyway, i saw some birkenstock hiking boots, some are just shoes, I think under the Footprints Outdoor section, Tatami has so called hiking type sandals, but they look awfully flexible. Do you have any Footprint shoes from birkenstock, if so, how is the footbed? Similar to the Arizonas? That would be so perfect for me if that is the case. I wrote to the german company and asked them about the footbeds, because I wear a pair of waterproof Betula Sharks from them, and the footbed is ok, but not half as good as the arizona. And they just wrote back acting like they were offended that I didn't like the darn Betulas. They said every footbed is the same, NOT!!! I hope I didn't make them mad and that is why I haven't received my inserts from them. OOps. Maybe it is because the Betulas I got are that plastic stuff instead of leather and cork.
If I get a pair of the hiking boots, I will report back with a picture of me in them at the beach. hey, John might like that one better than the socks, haha. If I could lose a few pounds I would be able to pass myself off as 'the athletic type', they get away with wearing anything, people just assume they just came from somewhere 'doing something athletic'. But I will just look like a dumpy woman who doesn't know how to dress. Oh, I saw the birkenstock hiking boots in a birkenstock express catalog or something, I don't remember if they were on the german site or not, so I don't confuse anyone.
Something that feels good: I put my feet in a water foot massager, with really hot water, then I already have a pan of really ice cold water sitting beside that, and I plunge (well, maybe not PLUNGE) my feet into the ice water. About five or ten minutes with the hot water massager, then ten or more minutes with the ice water. Dont know if it is helping, but it sure feels good. If I use heat, it feels good while doing it, but afterwards, my feet are achey and throbbing. But combining the two (four days in a row so far, twice a day) leaves my feet rejuvenated. My feet get so stiff, all over, that is what prompted me to start with the foot soaker. But I really have to go heavy on the ice afterwards. But unfortunately I just iced, and my girls dumped an entire bag of pretzels on the floor and are smashing them all over, and I can only sit and watch because my feet are still too cold to get up. Ah, what a blessing they are.

Nancy S. on 8/18/00 at 05:01 (025724)

Salina, it's interesting (in an unfortunate way!) that both you and your husband are having tendon or joint problems now. Alan k and his wife both apparently came down with foot problems following a virus or flu that they both had. What's with your shoulders and neck? Picking up too many kids or what?
Ya, I can't figure out why Birkenstock keeps telling everyone all their footbeds are the same. Don't they wear their own shoes? I've tried on many different styles, and they all feel different. I haven't tried any Footprints, though. But I do have a pair of Tatami Nebraskas -- they're the regular Tatami line, not hiking. Both they and the classic Bostons feel best to me. The Nebraskas have a slightly higher arch.
You can make 'dumpy' into a cool style, you know. Steve P called me 'dressed-up' looking in my photo with Judy, so you see at least one person bought it. What a saint!
My PF is actually a lot better than when you were last on the board. Still there, but not bad. It's the achilles and other tendonitis that developed that seem to be the main problem now. I start out the day with a really hot bath that covers my legs completely -- like you, it feels good to me too -- then I do my first little stretches of the day, ice, rest a little while, and then put on my apparatus and start trying to have a life. I think I get to have a life for about a third of the day right now -- it's really a lot quieter than I'm used to. But when I'm done with the cast and PT, watch out! I hope!
I hope you get a good physical therapist who rates your legs appropriately . . .
Nancy

Terry on 8/18/00 at 08:09 (025728)

Nancy - This is what I got from the Birkenstock people when I asked them to describe the different footbeds. I imagine that everyone knows all of this by now. They left out Papillio.
'There are 5 different footbeds:
1. the normal Birkenstock Footbed. This footbed is used for all sub-brands of Birkenstock. It has the included toe grip, arch support and a heel cup.
2. the Tatami low footbed which at the moment is only available with the Schumacher epecial edition and some other Tatami shoes. These footbeds have a deeper heel cup and higher arch support. Many customers suffering from heel spurs like to wear these shoes.
3. the PU (plastic) sandals and clogs from Tatami, Betula, and Birkis which are almost the same as the Birkenstock footbed but the material is softer and widens a little more when standing on it.
4. the footprints metropolitan footbed and ladies footbed (also the wedge heel and heel shoes from Tatami) do not have a toegrep and some of them have an included heel cushion.
5. the soft footbeds styles from Birkenstock which have a complete cushioning layer.' Terry

Nancy S. on 8/18/00 at 12:34 (025742)

Terry, thank you for this info.! Very useful. It's far more than I've been able to get out of them and most of it is news to me. As a Birks fan, I thank you again.
Nancy

Terry on 8/18/00 at 17:47 (025767)

Nancy - Don't you have something in Tatami? How would you compare that to the classic Birk? I wonder if I should've ordered my 2nd pair in Tatami. Too late now. Thanks, Terry

Nancy S. on 8/19/00 at 05:17 (025797)

Terry, yes, I have a pair of Tatami Nebraskas. I love them. After developing the achilles (and peroneal and post. tib.) tendonitis, I've stopped wearing them for a while, afraid the back strap might irritate the achilles. But to me the Nebraskas in general feel just as good as my Boston Birks. The Nebraskas have a slightly higher arch, that's the only difference that I can notice, but both footbeds feel great to me. Oh, and the Tatami footbed is lower, as you know, but that seems to make no difference in how the footbed itself feels. The only thing it does is make your foot feel a little more protected around the edges, which is one thing I like about them.
Nancy