Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

ES operation on Friday.......

Posted by Essence on 8/17/00 at 18:12 (025685)

Greetings all. My big day has finally arrived, Friday at 8:00 am I will be having my es surgery. I am a bit nervous, but I think I will do ok. I was wondering if I will be able to walk out of the hospital? I will be in touch!

Re: ES operation on Friday.......

john h on 8/17/00 at 18:24 (025686)

you will be ok essence. you should be able to walk out in a surgical shoe but your doc may have you in a walking cast.

T. Hurst on 8/17/00 at 20:56 (025705)

I had both feet done at once and walked out. It's uncomfortable for sure, but not super painful. I didn't even need painkillers (although I admit to taking some so I could get to sleep with my lunky boots on!). In case you are getting your right foot done...you will be able to drive about Day 3. Since the boot is inflexible, I took it off and put a big, unlaced shoe over my bandages. Worked fine. Keep us posted on the surgery database!

john h on 8/18/00 at 16:57 (025765)

thurst: how are you doing now? when was your surgery? open or endoscopic?

Re: Had epf on 7/26/00

T. Hurst on 8/19/00 at 00:57 (025791)

John - I had epf both feet on 7/26/00. Check out my surgery posts on that message board under T. Hurst from Kentucky. My right foot feels brand new and I'm 100% satisfied. I did end up with a common complication on my left - lateral destabilization of the cuboid joint. This results from strain on the part of the fascia which is not cut. However, a cuboid pad was added to my orthodic to support this area (sort of like arch support, only on the lateral/outside of the foot) and I no longer have pulling on the fascia. I'm waiting for the inflamation to go down, but I feel like the pad has taken care of it. I've also become a firm believer in stiff-soled shoes, as they have helped my post-op care greatly. I walk without a limp for the first time in 6 months. I think I am a success story. But I now know that complications are scary & for that reason, surgery should be a last resort. I'm glad I waited & I'm glad I had surgery. Have you had the surgery?

john h on 8/19/00 at 19:48 (025842)

i had surgery on one foot on 8/99 and it is no better or worse than the other foot which also has pf. the surgeon only released about 15% of the fascia. i am going to dr zuckerman this week fro a orbasone treatment on both feet. i never have limped but pf changed my life style considerably. glad to hear you are doing so well. a paratrooper friend of mine in kentucky is back to jumping out of planes again after pf surgery. amazing!

T.Hurst on 8/19/00 at 21:10 (025852)

Good luck with the orbasone. Keep us posted on your progress!

john h on 8/17/00 at 18:24 (025686)

you will be ok essence. you should be able to walk out in a surgical shoe but your doc may have you in a walking cast.

T. Hurst on 8/17/00 at 20:56 (025705)

I had both feet done at once and walked out. It's uncomfortable for sure, but not super painful. I didn't even need painkillers (although I admit to taking some so I could get to sleep with my lunky boots on!). In case you are getting your right foot done...you will be able to drive about Day 3. Since the boot is inflexible, I took it off and put a big, unlaced shoe over my bandages. Worked fine. Keep us posted on the surgery database!

john h on 8/18/00 at 16:57 (025765)

thurst: how are you doing now? when was your surgery? open or endoscopic?

T. Hurst on 8/19/00 at 00:57 (025791)

John - I had epf both feet on 7/26/00. Check out my surgery posts on that message board under T. Hurst from Kentucky. My right foot feels brand new and I'm 100% satisfied. I did end up with a common complication on my left - lateral destabilization of the cuboid joint. This results from strain on the part of the fascia which is not cut. However, a cuboid pad was added to my orthodic to support this area (sort of like arch support, only on the lateral/outside of the foot) and I no longer have pulling on the fascia. I'm waiting for the inflamation to go down, but I feel like the pad has taken care of it. I've also become a firm believer in stiff-soled shoes, as they have helped my post-op care greatly. I walk without a limp for the first time in 6 months. I think I am a success story. But I now know that complications are scary & for that reason, surgery should be a last resort. I'm glad I waited & I'm glad I had surgery. Have you had the surgery?

john h on 8/19/00 at 19:48 (025842)

i had surgery on one foot on 8/99 and it is no better or worse than the other foot which also has pf. the surgeon only released about 15% of the fascia. i am going to dr zuckerman this week fro a orbasone treatment on both feet. i never have limped but pf changed my life style considerably. glad to hear you are doing so well. a paratrooper friend of mine in kentucky is back to jumping out of planes again after pf surgery. amazing!

T.Hurst on 8/19/00 at 21:10 (025852)

Good luck with the orbasone. Keep us posted on your progress!