Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Made decision on how to restructure/reduce stretching

Posted by Beverly on 8/17/00 at 23:16 (025718)

Hi!
I've decided that you all are right in that I have to be assertive and listen to my feet in regards to stretching. (See post from yesterday for more info. regarding specifics.)

After reading your feedback, this is what I've decided. I was doing ok when I was only doing five of each of my passive/nonweightbearing stretches/strengthening exercises per day. I felt like I was making progress. It's hard to say where I started going backwards as we increased the routine. Since my left foot is back in all-the-time acheyness, I think I need to cutback dramatically. By doing five each nonweighbearing 1x a day, I am reducing my most recent routine by 75%. (I was doing 10 each per exercise 2x per day.)
I did not do any stretches today... iced and gave my feet a break.
I'll play the next few days by ear to see if I need more days off.

I'm still very open to any suggestions and I'm especially curious what Mike W. or Dr. Z. think.

The good news is that my right foot (original injury) handled the increased exercises pretty well. The setback has been to my left foot - the newer injury. This makes me think that there is hope since my right foot seems to keep showing slow but steady progress.

Terry asked if I've tried Bromelain yet. Unfortunately, I had a bad stomach spell due to stress... family thing. When my stomach feels normal again (about 1/2 there now), I will try it.

I see my PT tomorrow. I hope she will be understanding on my need to change this. I still say PT is helping, because the inflammation is going down, and I have conquered my fear of stretching. Now, I have to learn moderation. (Gee whiz. That's how I got this to begin with. Type A's don't know much about moderation!)

Beverly

Re: Made decision on how to restructure/reduce stretching

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/17/00 at 23:26 (025720)

I would cut back to 50% of your routine and then after one week increase 10% of the routine each week and see where that takes you.
Listen to your pain and take the pace slowly,is what i am trying to say. Your foot has been telling your what to do so listen please.
I tell runners to reduce their running to 50% of their usually distance after injury and then to incresse 10% each week. If this causes pain then reduce the distance to 25%. These parameters are just guildline to go by. I think you get the idea.

Re: Bob, just read your post. New question & thought.

Beverly on 8/17/00 at 23:28 (025721)

Bob, I just read your post from earlier that you vote for no stretching until I have no pain. Hum. That is going to give me something to think about. Do you mean no stretching until I can walk/stand without pain or do you mean no stretching until I feel no pain from stretching and my foot does not hurt just sitting around doing nothing?

Most of my stretches did not hurt until this most recent setback.
I especially did well with the simple flexes and the towel pulls.
But they all hurt at first. I had to get used to them. As I got used to them, they got easier/more comfortable until the saga I've reported.

I sat around on an all-rest routine for four months and made very little progress. So, I'm relunctant to go back to zero. But I do listen to what you more experienced folks write, and I will have to ponder this. My gut instinct is to take a few days off and then try the 75% reduction I posted above. I know this is one of those things I'm just going to have to experiment with. It is so confusing.

Thank you for your imput,
Beverly

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/17/00 at 23:36 (025723)

My gut feeling is to start at 50% first not 75%. This is my six sense
telling you this. !!!!

Re: OK Dr. Z. I'll give you % a try. Two ways I could do that. Which way is best?

Beverly on 8/18/00 at 09:59 (025733)

Okay Dr. Z.,

I'll give your percentage a try. That means I'd be either doing:

* My full set of exercises 1x a day. (minus the calf stretch): That's each exercise 1x a day, holding to a count of 10, doing the full set at one given time during the day.

OR

* Break the set in half and do five of each exercises in the morning and five of each exercises in the evening.

Along this same question, do I need to start holding to a count of five rather than a count of ten. Doing a 50% reduction in the hold of the stretch also.

Once again, thank you for your imput. This is a 50% reduction since my PT had me doing my exercises 2x a day, doing 10 of each on each foot.

Thank you,
Beverly

Re: OK Dr. Z. I'll give you % a try. Two ways I could do that. Which way is best?

Nancy S. on 8/18/00 at 12:48 (025744)

Beverly, I'm not Dr. Z., but while you're waiting for him: both my sports med. doc and my PT feel it is better to spread the stretching over the day and not do all at once. This makes sense to me scientifically, unless you plan to stretch and then not move for the rest of the day, which of course wouldn't be wise anyway.
Nancy

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/18/00 at 13:51 (025754)

Spreading the routine is another great way to not over stress your feet.

Dr. Z

Re: Nancy and Dr. Z.

Beverly on 8/18/00 at 16:43 (025761)

Hi Nancy and Dr. Z,
I went ahead with the option to do 1/2 of my routine in the a.m. and half in the evening. My PT thought it was a good approach, and I can see that is the feedback I've gotten from you. She also eliminated the seated toe raises for the moment since they seem to be the hardest for me to do of the nonweightbearing things. And of course, this is with the overall 50% reduction. She liked Dr. Z's idea of increasing it a little each week (10%) if I respond favorably to this modification.

I feel better today... less pain.

Beverly

Re: Made decision on how to restructure/reduce stretching

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/17/00 at 23:26 (025720)

I would cut back to 50% of your routine and then after one week increase 10% of the routine each week and see where that takes you.
Listen to your pain and take the pace slowly,is what i am trying to say. Your foot has been telling your what to do so listen please.
I tell runners to reduce their running to 50% of their usually distance after injury and then to incresse 10% each week. If this causes pain then reduce the distance to 25%. These parameters are just guildline to go by. I think you get the idea.

Beverly on 8/17/00 at 23:28 (025721)

Bob, I just read your post from earlier that you vote for no stretching until I have no pain. Hum. That is going to give me something to think about. Do you mean no stretching until I can walk/stand without pain or do you mean no stretching until I feel no pain from stretching and my foot does not hurt just sitting around doing nothing?

Most of my stretches did not hurt until this most recent setback.
I especially did well with the simple flexes and the towel pulls.
But they all hurt at first. I had to get used to them. As I got used to them, they got easier/more comfortable until the saga I've reported.

I sat around on an all-rest routine for four months and made very little progress. So, I'm relunctant to go back to zero. But I do listen to what you more experienced folks write, and I will have to ponder this. My gut instinct is to take a few days off and then try the 75% reduction I posted above. I know this is one of those things I'm just going to have to experiment with. It is so confusing.

Thank you for your imput,
Beverly

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/17/00 at 23:36 (025723)

My gut feeling is to start at 50% first not 75%. This is my six sense
telling you this. !!!!

Beverly on 8/18/00 at 09:59 (025733)

Okay Dr. Z.,

I'll give your percentage a try. That means I'd be either doing:

* My full set of exercises 1x a day. (minus the calf stretch): That's each exercise 1x a day, holding to a count of 10, doing the full set at one given time during the day.

OR

* Break the set in half and do five of each exercises in the morning and five of each exercises in the evening.

Along this same question, do I need to start holding to a count of five rather than a count of ten. Doing a 50% reduction in the hold of the stretch also.

Once again, thank you for your imput. This is a 50% reduction since my PT had me doing my exercises 2x a day, doing 10 of each on each foot.

Thank you,
Beverly

Nancy S. on 8/18/00 at 12:48 (025744)

Beverly, I'm not Dr. Z., but while you're waiting for him: both my sports med. doc and my PT feel it is better to spread the stretching over the day and not do all at once. This makes sense to me scientifically, unless you plan to stretch and then not move for the rest of the day, which of course wouldn't be wise anyway.
Nancy

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/18/00 at 13:51 (025754)

Spreading the routine is another great way to not over stress your feet.

Dr. Z

Re: Nancy and Dr. Z.

Beverly on 8/18/00 at 16:43 (025761)

Hi Nancy and Dr. Z,
I went ahead with the option to do 1/2 of my routine in the a.m. and half in the evening. My PT thought it was a good approach, and I can see that is the feedback I've gotten from you. She also eliminated the seated toe raises for the moment since they seem to be the hardest for me to do of the nonweightbearing things. And of course, this is with the overall 50% reduction. She liked Dr. Z's idea of increasing it a little each week (10%) if I respond favorably to this modification.

I feel better today... less pain.

Beverly