Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Anyone had this problem?

Posted by Susan S on 8/18/00 at 11:49 (025737)

I have been experiencing a wonderful repass from pain lately. However, last week I had a sick child and then was fortunate enough to catch his yucky bug. Spent the majority of the week at home barefoot trekking from the sofa to the bathroom. Then Friday night I worked at a charity bingo 4 and a half hours on concrete floors. I know, I know. Dumb.

Of course, this caused a flare up. But the strange thing is that Saturday morning the top of my left foot was (and remains) swollen. So I go see the good doctor today. He says obviously there is something wrong but it is not related to the PF and xrays show no stress fracture. We discussed a boot or air cast but both of us are concerned that my right foot is not strong enough to bear the extra stress. So I'm taking a medros does pack to combat the swelling and going back in ten days. Then we'll regroup and go from there. He is hesitant to send me for a bone scan but he says that is his next option.

We discussed the rest vs limited activity and he supports activity. His thoery is that PF is difficult to heal because of lack of blood flow to that area. So Rock, you go man!

So am I alone here or has anyone else had this problem? He ruled out tendonitis saying that I don't have any significant pain in the proper points and I have full range of motion without additional pain. It's really just uncomfortable due to the swelling.

Re: Anyone had this problem?

Bob G. on 8/19/00 at 01:45 (025793)

Hello Susan,

I am surprised at the no response to your post. I don't know, but I would suggest a healthy dose of REST. Just stay off the foot as much as possible. Keep posting, you'll get more response. BG

Nancy S. on 8/19/00 at 05:38 (025798)

Susan, I haven't had that problem, but I did want to say something about the aircast idea. (I'm wearing one on my worse foot, for PF and mainly at this point for achilles and other tendonitis.)
The aircast is really helping me. The swelling is definitely going down now, and at my most recent 2 PT appts. (Wed. and Fri.), for the first time my casted foot felt just about no pain during massage.
My right foot does still feel painful during massage. It's true that wearing the aircast on one foot can put more of a load on the other foot, BUT this can be made quite minimal. I wear a hiking boot and just now also stuck a couple of full-length inserts in there to make my casted foot and uncasted foot the same height. Now there is very little extra burden on the uncasted foot. I'm also having PT on both feet at the same time and doing stretching exercises and icing on both, so the uncasted foot isn't just left there to suffer while the casted one gets better.
Just something to think about.
Nancy

Bob G. on 8/19/00 at 01:45 (025793)

Hello Susan,

I am surprised at the no response to your post. I don't know, but I would suggest a healthy dose of REST. Just stay off the foot as much as possible. Keep posting, you'll get more response. BG

Nancy S. on 8/19/00 at 05:38 (025798)

Susan, I haven't had that problem, but I did want to say something about the aircast idea. (I'm wearing one on my worse foot, for PF and mainly at this point for achilles and other tendonitis.)
The aircast is really helping me. The swelling is definitely going down now, and at my most recent 2 PT appts. (Wed. and Fri.), for the first time my casted foot felt just about no pain during massage.
My right foot does still feel painful during massage. It's true that wearing the aircast on one foot can put more of a load on the other foot, BUT this can be made quite minimal. I wear a hiking boot and just now also stuck a couple of full-length inserts in there to make my casted foot and uncasted foot the same height. Now there is very little extra burden on the uncasted foot. I'm also having PT on both feet at the same time and doing stretching exercises and icing on both, so the uncasted foot isn't just left there to suffer while the casted one gets better.
Just something to think about.
Nancy