Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Roast Superfeet Supper

Posted by john a on 8/18/00 at 12:31 (025741)

In my never ending quest for small improvements, I decided to try to hasten the accommodation of insert to foot and vice versa. So, in a fit of creativity, I preheated my oven to 225 degrees, and 'cooked' my left superfeet insert for 3 minutes, put the now softer (and toasty warm) insert into my shoe, and walked around for 5 minutes. This seemed to help, but not being satisfied, I baked it again for 4 minutes and did some more walking around. Overall, I think it now fits better than it did, but the last 4 minutes was probably too much of a good thing, because I noticed the following day that the edge of the toe and heel rim areas had shrunk and shrivelled slightly. So, caveat chef. (I only needed to do this for the left insert, because the right one feels pretty perfect as is - my left foot is 5 mm shorter and has a lower arch.)

PS - I think there would be a good market for an oven (or microwave) heat-moldable insert. It seems to me this would be an extremely cheap (<$30) and easy way to get results much closer to prescription orthotics, without having to spend $400. Why hasn't it been done? I know Spenco makes a boiling water moldable insert, but it is difficult to make fine contour changes to it (I know because I have it!)

Re: Roast Superfeet Supper

Nancy S. on 8/18/00 at 12:41 (025743)

John a, you have to get an A+ for creativity. So how did your kitchen smell? I think you're onto something, though I probably would hesitate to come to your house for supper.
Nancy

john a on 8/18/00 at 13:06 (025745)

Lightly Roasted Superfeet A La John A have no smell at all really. I didn't take it that far. It smells far worse when I cook dinner :-) Whether I'm on to something or just 'on something' is probably open for debate...

suzi d on 8/18/00 at 13:33 (025750)

john, as much as that sounds like a delicious way to prepare orthotics, my last pod told me to hold my hairdryer on mine and get them hot, then step into them. Worked pretty good. Had to do it twice, but, it only took a few minutes. Conformed enough where he could make out my sock pattern.

john a on 8/18/00 at 13:42 (025751)

I used a hair dryer a year ago on the Spenco full length inserts with the black plastic arch (rather than putting them in boiling water as the instructions suggest), and that worked ok for coarse arch adjustments. But I wanted to get the Superfeet hot all over and through, to get the best chance of exact conformity to my foot. Orthotists use heat guns all the time, so we must be doing something right!

Richard, C.Ped on 8/18/00 at 15:31 (025757)

Yum! What's for desert? Arch cookies with toe jam??!!:-)

That is a creative way of thinking, but, that will not get the best neutral fit possible. I have stated in the past that you get the best orthotic fit with a semi-weight bearing impression, and make a plaster cast. Heating your inserts then standing on them will 'bottom out' the orthotic. When you stand on them, it takes the out of neural shape of your foot. Basically, if you normally pronate, heating the insert then standing on it will not help the pronation at all.
Richard, C.Ped

Kim B. on 8/18/00 at 19:13 (025775)

THIS is a perfect example of a PF Sufferer with too much time on his hands! (Just kidding john, I am PROUD of your ingenuity!)

Did you see my post below re: Footsmart.com's biomechanical, custom made, by molding, orthotics? ONLY $89.00. I have an email in to them to see if their 100% money back guarantee applies to these custom made items too. We'll see.

Regards, Kim B.

john a on 8/21/00 at 15:00 (025931)

Yes, I am considering trying the $100 full length model. Even more tempting since I just got this promotional email from Footsmart:

'Place an order online at http://www.footsmart.com between now and midnight, Thursday, August 31st and we will take 15% off your product merchandise total.

The sale discount will not be reflected on the checkout screen, but will be applied once your order is processed by our customer service center. An email response will be sent confirming your discounted total.

*Please specify the promotion code: IP04 in the Special Instructions section on the checkout page.'

Nancy S. on 8/18/00 at 12:41 (025743)

John a, you have to get an A+ for creativity. So how did your kitchen smell? I think you're onto something, though I probably would hesitate to come to your house for supper.
Nancy

john a on 8/18/00 at 13:06 (025745)

Lightly Roasted Superfeet A La John A have no smell at all really. I didn't take it that far. It smells far worse when I cook dinner :-) Whether I'm on to something or just 'on something' is probably open for debate...

suzi d on 8/18/00 at 13:33 (025750)

john, as much as that sounds like a delicious way to prepare orthotics, my last pod told me to hold my hairdryer on mine and get them hot, then step into them. Worked pretty good. Had to do it twice, but, it only took a few minutes. Conformed enough where he could make out my sock pattern.

john a on 8/18/00 at 13:42 (025751)

I used a hair dryer a year ago on the Spenco full length inserts with the black plastic arch (rather than putting them in boiling water as the instructions suggest), and that worked ok for coarse arch adjustments. But I wanted to get the Superfeet hot all over and through, to get the best chance of exact conformity to my foot. Orthotists use heat guns all the time, so we must be doing something right!

Richard, C.Ped on 8/18/00 at 15:31 (025757)

Yum! What's for desert? Arch cookies with toe jam??!!:-)

That is a creative way of thinking, but, that will not get the best neutral fit possible. I have stated in the past that you get the best orthotic fit with a semi-weight bearing impression, and make a plaster cast. Heating your inserts then standing on them will 'bottom out' the orthotic. When you stand on them, it takes the out of neural shape of your foot. Basically, if you normally pronate, heating the insert then standing on it will not help the pronation at all.
Richard, C.Ped

Kim B. on 8/18/00 at 19:13 (025775)

THIS is a perfect example of a PF Sufferer with too much time on his hands! (Just kidding john, I am PROUD of your ingenuity!)

Did you see my post below re: Footsmart.com's biomechanical, custom made, by molding, orthotics? ONLY $89.00. I have an email in to them to see if their 100% money back guarantee applies to these custom made items too. We'll see.

Regards, Kim B.

john a on 8/21/00 at 15:00 (025931)

Yes, I am considering trying the $100 full length model. Even more tempting since I just got this promotional email from Footsmart:

'Place an order online at http://www.footsmart.com between now and midnight, Thursday, August 31st and we will take 15% off your product merchandise total.

The sale discount will not be reflected on the checkout screen, but will be applied once your order is processed by our customer service center. An email response will be sent confirming your discounted total.

*Please specify the promotion code: IP04 in the Special Instructions section on the checkout page.'