Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

When will I learn ???????????

Posted by Laurie R on 8/18/00 at 20:56 (025781)

Hi to everyone,
Ok I have had PF now for 14 months and TTS for 7 months. As you all know I have had my ups and downs.Cast after cast,shot after shot.PT for months.

I have been feeling pretty good for about a month. I had to go to big family party last weekend and I wanted to look nice for a change.So I got a new skirt and new shoes.So I thought the shoes (Yes they were heels not to high) would be ok for a few hours.I taped my foot and ankle .So I figured it would not hurt to wear the heels for a little while.First of all the tape and the shoes rubbed and cut the top of my foot,and my fascia started hurting again. So I thought I really did it this time. I just got all my retraning and workmans comp stuff straighten out so I can go to school this Monday.You would think I would have learned months ago that no matter how you are feeling their are a few things we will never be able to do.

I had an appointment with my Pod today anyways ,so I had to tell him what I did. This doctor is so compassionate .He told me not to be so hard on myself, he said to look at this set back as a bump in the road.He aalso said that if the pain is that bad I could postpone school for a while.I told him no.The reason being is if I don't start school now I will never go.

He gave a shot ,ok guys this one hurt like #@$%.He gave it to me on the side of my arch,because my foot was so inflammed. This did have cortsone in it .He said it is not the kind that goes in your whole body just the spot he put it in.Maybe Dr.Z knows the name of it.He wants me to take it easy this weekend and try to stay off my foot.

I am going to try to do this school thing.Wish me luck.I need all the help I can get.

Also most of my pain now is due to PF not the TTS .My best to everyone. Do you guys think this will teach me not to try to look good?Ha HA Ha NO MORE HEELS FOR LAURIE .......

Laurie R

Re: Kim B. slaps Laurie around with a large Trout!

Kim B. on 8/18/00 at 22:53 (025785)

What were you thinking? PFer's are suppose to look fashion challenged!

I have no room to talk. I have a pair of short heel dress shoes in my closet. I bought them to wear to church (very traditional back in the Bible belt) back home, before the dog bite canceled my trip. There, my secret is out. I too, have fantasies of wearing dress shoes again some day.

Thanks for the warning. If I do ever attempt such a crazy notion, I will have my sneakers within arms length, and I will not hesitate to put them on even with a dress.

Thanks for sharing. It will help another not to make the same mistake. Shoot for school if you can, if not, you will go later, you are determined. Hopefully you will bounce back faster these days. You know the drill. :-) Kim B.

Bob G. on 8/19/00 at 01:54 (025794)

Kim and Laurie,

Well, I won't comment on your pictures, BUT I am sure you're feet must be beautiful...hope you are both having a fine day. BG

ps - hope you're feet are feeling better soon

Nancy S. on 8/19/00 at 05:44 (025799)

Ok, ladies, you've been brave to reveal this terrible secret of heels in your closet. I suspect there are others out there, who are hiding them.
I would like to donate my services. Because I have never worn heels in my life and never will, it is safe for you to mail them all to me where you can't get at them. Once you've been painfree for a year, I'll send them back to you (at which time in my opinion you should burn them). Or you can let me add them to the orthotics and inserts sculpture, your choice.
Nancy

Terry on 8/19/00 at 08:31 (025802)

Nancy and Laurie - Too bad I didn't know about the sculpture 4 years ago! I gave away all my heels, pair by pair. I know how you feel, Laurie, about dressing up. You feel like, how can I wear THAT with THOSE shoes? You really should hide your heels like Nancy said. At least you won't be reminded of what you can't wear everytime you go into your closet, and that will make you feel better. Good luck on Monday. Terry

Laurie R on 8/19/00 at 09:11 (025803)

HI guys,
First of all mr Bob,What do you mean you will not comment on our pictures?????Are you saying Kim and I look funny????? I will say yes I do have pretty feet.My therapist said when he was going to write his report to my Pod,it was going to say Laurie has pretty feet. I have bad feet but they don't have to be ugly.I have always had this thing for feet.My toe nails always have to be painted.Ok I know I sound like a crazy lady but hey!!!!!

Kim, You had me laughing out loud.Thanks I needed that this morning.

Nancy,You are more then welcome to have my heels.You know the funny thing is,I never have worn heels.Even before I hurt my foot.They just never felt right on my foot.Maybe because of my very high archs.

My foot feels a little bit better today .(thanks to the shot yesterday) It is just a little swollen and sore where I got the shot,but I am sure ice will help.

I hope everyone has a nice weekend.Laurie R

Laurie R on 8/19/00 at 09:15 (025804)

Hi Terry,
You are so right.Next time I have to dress up it will be a skirt and tenny shoes with my orthocics ,who cares what I look like.I have to understand it is going to take longer then a month of my foot feeling ok to do something like that again.The funny thing is I thought it would of been ok.The heels were not high at all.Take care.Laurie R

Re: Laurie, You just saved me from doing something stupid!

Beverly on 8/19/00 at 12:08 (025812)

Laurie,

Sorry to hear about your setback. I hope your pod is right and it just ends up being a 'bump' in the road.

You have just saved me from doing something VERY stupid! Yesterday, I was invited to an alumni luncheon from my college - a real dress up affair. Now girls, it's the South down here. This means dressed to the nines at alumni gatherings. (I went to a girl's school.)

I have gotten a bit lazy in my dressing style since moving to a beach town and having ailing feet, but at heart, I'm a clothes horse.

Normally, this would mean a day at the mall shopping for a new dress. My feet are not up for that, and I just don't think the dresses available by electric scooter at Walmart will do! Ha! Ha! So, I go to my closet and see this beautiful vintage style sweeping floral tea dress I save for special occassions. I look at my healthy/ugly shoe collection.
I know that my Dansko meta sandals are the only possible hope. I match them up. I conclude that they are way too cluncky for the dress.
So, I begin contemplating going to Foley's or Dilliards to look for a low heel in a 'sensible' brand like Easy Spirit. All along, I'm asking myself, 'Is this a good idea?' And then self answers back, 'It's only for a few hours... doesn't involve much walking.' Temptation lurks.

But Laurie has saved me from possible disaster. You have reminded me that shopping gets me into trouble way too often in the feet department.
This usually leads to poor decisions. So, I will go to the luncheon in my clunky Dansko sandals. They look alot better than Birks.
Actually, I'm looking forward to trying other Dansko's. They feel pretty good, and they look fine with casual skirts and suits.

Laurie, I hope you feel better soon. I'm curious about that shot. You say it is different from most cortizone shots given in the feet?
Beverly

Re: Nancy

Kim B. on 8/19/00 at 12:43 (025819)

I don't know about putting heels in the orthotic and inserts 'Statue of Limitations' sculpture. In a way it works with the name, but the high heel shoe thing has been done in Chicago. We may need a seperate sculpture for 'shoes we can lose'. I think the orthotic and inserts thing needs to stand alone, (pardon the pun) as a tribute to all the waisted money spent on useless inserts and orhtotics.

My high heels are way up high in the closet. I just bought that one low heel pair for a church event. I must have been out of my mind thinking I could wear those cute, black, linen, fashionable low heel shoes for a couple of hours. Laurie has rescued me from that notion.

No, I can't send you my heels Nancy. When the the time comes I will give them a proper burial with tapps playing and the whole nine yards. In the mean time, they are a shrine to my foot pain in their boxes, (coffins) in the top of my closet.

Tears and sniffels, Kim B.

Nancy S. on 8/19/00 at 17:27 (025826)

Wow, Laurie did a lot of rescuing with that one post. Hurray for Laurie!
Kim, you keep your shoes in BOXES? I thought you said you are usually rougher than your photo looks in the gallery. I thought women kept their shoes in boxes only in old movies. I didn't know real live people actually do that. I must be a case of arrested development. You should see my closet. Maybe I'll take a picture of it and submit it for the gallery.
You're absolutely right. I'm stuck up here in a corner and forgot that the shoe thing has been done, right in the center of the country.
The Statue of Limitations will remain as originally conceived: orthotics, heel cups, etc., and possibly my support hose after I buy some and find they make me feel 200 years old.
Nancy

Beverly on 8/19/00 at 17:41 (025829)

I am a confirmed neat nick. I keep my shoes in shoe boxes too.

After of months of offering my pre-PF shoes to any friend or aquaintance with big feet, someone finally took me up on the offer.
I think I gave away about 20 pairs of shoes. My closet shelves look bare.

Beverly

Kim B. on 8/19/00 at 17:59 (025832)

Nancy, You've seem the plastic shoe boxes at Target and The Container Store. Those boxes. They keep the dust off seldom worn shoes. I am in total denial, I'll have to let go of them sometime I suppose.

Yes, I do look pretty rough sometimes. Like today. No real primping so far and since it's 5:45 pm, so there will probably be none of that here today. The crown is a hit of my true self. My galfriend Linda used to tell me I must have been queen of a small nation in another life. I can get a little carried away telling poeple where to go and what to get done.

That's a good idea, for the 'Hall of Pain' gallery. Pics of us, pics our feet, pics of our pitiful shoe selection.

We can still do a separate sculpture of 'Shoes we can loose.'

Beverly, how is that 'heel and foot pain awarness day' campaign coming?

Regards, Kim B.

Nancy S. on 8/19/00 at 18:00 (025833)

Beverly, I have certainly picked up on the fact that you are a shoeaholic! Is there a group you could join if you need help? (kidding)
It must have been painful for you to give away all those shoes. It must feel like I would feel if I gave away my antique tins.
I don't know of a group for me to join either.
Nancy

Re: When will I learn ???????????

Laurie R on 8/19/00 at 20:45 (025850)

Hi Guys,
Ok I feel a hell of alot better that I helped somebody.Now if I can just help myself I'll be doing fine.Ha Ha Ha !!!!!!!!!

Bev, I am so glad you decided not to go shopping ,that along as we know can cause a big set back.I am sure the shoes you have at home will be just fine. Now if I would of just worn tenis shoe with my skirt it would of been fine also.My cousin told me today that's what I should do for now on,I will listen.The thing is ,I always wear jeans and I went to Macy and got such a cute skirt and blouse. I just wanted to look nice for one day.I so understand it is not worth it.

I am really happy you guys read this and it did help some.

My best to all ,Thanks Nancy for your Hurray Laurie .That makes my day ,You sweetie pie.Nancy have a martini on me tonight......

Laurie R

Laurie R on 8/19/00 at 21:13 (025853)

Hi Beverly,
I forgot to answer you question about the shot.My Pod told me yesterday that he was going to put cortisone in the shot as well as the numbing stuff .Unfortunately I don't know the names of either .He did tell me that the cortisone he added started with a d,he did say the name but I don't remenber.He said this cortisone does not got through your whole body just the spot he put it in.He said it would help with the imflammation.

Today my foot is feeling alot better,so it must of worked.

I hope this helped answer your question.

Laurie R

Nancy S. on 8/19/00 at 21:47 (025856)

Thanks, Laurie -- I already had two martinis tonight! And they're helping my feet, too!
I'm glad you're feeling better today,
from Nancy

Re: Laurie what was working?

alan k on 8/20/00 at 08:28 (025866)

Hi LAurie,

Haven't heard from you for a while. It's good to hear you are better enough to start having little setbacks.

I just wanted to know what was working for your pf and for tts that made things better.

thanks,

alan k

http://www.acutai.com

Laurie R To Alan on 8/20/00 at 11:00 (025875)

Hi Alan,
What has been working for me.

Things that help the most: 1. Rest 2. walking cast 3. PT 4.My wonderful Podiatrist 5.The right shoes !!!!!!!!!

Things that caused my set backs: 1. HEELS 2. walking in malls. 3.Standing on my feet.

Alan ,
My TTS is still here but, it is so much better then it was.Now from wearing those heels last weekend set me back again.I will tell you though,I have had 2 cortisone shots in the past that did not help at all.This last Friday I got another shot where he put a little cortisone in it.I will say it really has helped .The swelling went down and my foot is feeling better.My foot still goes numb once in a while but for the most I think it is doing better.

Tomarrow I start my retraining school .My Pod said I could postpone it because of this set back .I feel I need to try to go and get my new life started.If I don't start tomarrow I know I will never go.Maybe it will get my mind off of my foot for a while.It is just part time 4 hours a day ,sitting at a computer.Wish me luck......

How are you doing Alan????

My best to you buddy......Laurie R

Kim B. on 8/18/00 at 22:53 (025785)

What were you thinking? PFer's are suppose to look fashion challenged!

I have no room to talk. I have a pair of short heel dress shoes in my closet. I bought them to wear to church (very traditional back in the Bible belt) back home, before the dog bite canceled my trip. There, my secret is out. I too, have fantasies of wearing dress shoes again some day.

Thanks for the warning. If I do ever attempt such a crazy notion, I will have my sneakers within arms length, and I will not hesitate to put them on even with a dress.

Thanks for sharing. It will help another not to make the same mistake. Shoot for school if you can, if not, you will go later, you are determined. Hopefully you will bounce back faster these days. You know the drill. :-) Kim B.

Bob G. on 8/19/00 at 01:54 (025794)

Kim and Laurie,

Well, I won't comment on your pictures, BUT I am sure you're feet must be beautiful...hope you are both having a fine day. BG

ps - hope you're feet are feeling better soon

Nancy S. on 8/19/00 at 05:44 (025799)

Ok, ladies, you've been brave to reveal this terrible secret of heels in your closet. I suspect there are others out there, who are hiding them.
I would like to donate my services. Because I have never worn heels in my life and never will, it is safe for you to mail them all to me where you can't get at them. Once you've been painfree for a year, I'll send them back to you (at which time in my opinion you should burn them). Or you can let me add them to the orthotics and inserts sculpture, your choice.
Nancy

Terry on 8/19/00 at 08:31 (025802)

Nancy and Laurie - Too bad I didn't know about the sculpture 4 years ago! I gave away all my heels, pair by pair. I know how you feel, Laurie, about dressing up. You feel like, how can I wear THAT with THOSE shoes? You really should hide your heels like Nancy said. At least you won't be reminded of what you can't wear everytime you go into your closet, and that will make you feel better. Good luck on Monday. Terry

Laurie R on 8/19/00 at 09:11 (025803)

HI guys,
First of all mr Bob,What do you mean you will not comment on our pictures?????Are you saying Kim and I look funny????? I will say yes I do have pretty feet.My therapist said when he was going to write his report to my Pod,it was going to say Laurie has pretty feet. I have bad feet but they don't have to be ugly.I have always had this thing for feet.My toe nails always have to be painted.Ok I know I sound like a crazy lady but hey!!!!!

Kim, You had me laughing out loud.Thanks I needed that this morning.

Nancy,You are more then welcome to have my heels.You know the funny thing is,I never have worn heels.Even before I hurt my foot.They just never felt right on my foot.Maybe because of my very high archs.

My foot feels a little bit better today .(thanks to the shot yesterday) It is just a little swollen and sore where I got the shot,but I am sure ice will help.

I hope everyone has a nice weekend.Laurie R

Laurie R on 8/19/00 at 09:15 (025804)

Hi Terry,
You are so right.Next time I have to dress up it will be a skirt and tenny shoes with my orthocics ,who cares what I look like.I have to understand it is going to take longer then a month of my foot feeling ok to do something like that again.The funny thing is I thought it would of been ok.The heels were not high at all.Take care.Laurie R

Beverly on 8/19/00 at 12:08 (025812)

Laurie,

Sorry to hear about your setback. I hope your pod is right and it just ends up being a 'bump' in the road.

You have just saved me from doing something VERY stupid! Yesterday, I was invited to an alumni luncheon from my college - a real dress up affair. Now girls, it's the South down here. This means dressed to the nines at alumni gatherings. (I went to a girl's school.)

I have gotten a bit lazy in my dressing style since moving to a beach town and having ailing feet, but at heart, I'm a clothes horse.

Normally, this would mean a day at the mall shopping for a new dress. My feet are not up for that, and I just don't think the dresses available by electric scooter at Walmart will do! Ha! Ha! So, I go to my closet and see this beautiful vintage style sweeping floral tea dress I save for special occassions. I look at my healthy/ugly shoe collection.
I know that my Dansko meta sandals are the only possible hope. I match them up. I conclude that they are way too cluncky for the dress.
So, I begin contemplating going to Foley's or Dilliards to look for a low heel in a 'sensible' brand like Easy Spirit. All along, I'm asking myself, 'Is this a good idea?' And then self answers back, 'It's only for a few hours... doesn't involve much walking.' Temptation lurks.

But Laurie has saved me from possible disaster. You have reminded me that shopping gets me into trouble way too often in the feet department.
This usually leads to poor decisions. So, I will go to the luncheon in my clunky Dansko sandals. They look alot better than Birks.
Actually, I'm looking forward to trying other Dansko's. They feel pretty good, and they look fine with casual skirts and suits.

Laurie, I hope you feel better soon. I'm curious about that shot. You say it is different from most cortizone shots given in the feet?
Beverly

Kim B. on 8/19/00 at 12:43 (025819)

I don't know about putting heels in the orthotic and inserts 'Statue of Limitations' sculpture. In a way it works with the name, but the high heel shoe thing has been done in Chicago. We may need a seperate sculpture for 'shoes we can lose'. I think the orthotic and inserts thing needs to stand alone, (pardon the pun) as a tribute to all the waisted money spent on useless inserts and orhtotics.

My high heels are way up high in the closet. I just bought that one low heel pair for a church event. I must have been out of my mind thinking I could wear those cute, black, linen, fashionable low heel shoes for a couple of hours. Laurie has rescued me from that notion.

No, I can't send you my heels Nancy. When the the time comes I will give them a proper burial with tapps playing and the whole nine yards. In the mean time, they are a shrine to my foot pain in their boxes, (coffins) in the top of my closet.

Tears and sniffels, Kim B.

Nancy S. on 8/19/00 at 17:27 (025826)

Wow, Laurie did a lot of rescuing with that one post. Hurray for Laurie!
Kim, you keep your shoes in BOXES? I thought you said you are usually rougher than your photo looks in the gallery. I thought women kept their shoes in boxes only in old movies. I didn't know real live people actually do that. I must be a case of arrested development. You should see my closet. Maybe I'll take a picture of it and submit it for the gallery.
You're absolutely right. I'm stuck up here in a corner and forgot that the shoe thing has been done, right in the center of the country.
The Statue of Limitations will remain as originally conceived: orthotics, heel cups, etc., and possibly my support hose after I buy some and find they make me feel 200 years old.
Nancy

Beverly on 8/19/00 at 17:41 (025829)

I am a confirmed neat nick. I keep my shoes in shoe boxes too.

After of months of offering my pre-PF shoes to any friend or aquaintance with big feet, someone finally took me up on the offer.
I think I gave away about 20 pairs of shoes. My closet shelves look bare.

Beverly

Kim B. on 8/19/00 at 17:59 (025832)

Nancy, You've seem the plastic shoe boxes at Target and The Container Store. Those boxes. They keep the dust off seldom worn shoes. I am in total denial, I'll have to let go of them sometime I suppose.

Yes, I do look pretty rough sometimes. Like today. No real primping so far and since it's 5:45 pm, so there will probably be none of that here today. The crown is a hit of my true self. My galfriend Linda used to tell me I must have been queen of a small nation in another life. I can get a little carried away telling poeple where to go and what to get done.

That's a good idea, for the 'Hall of Pain' gallery. Pics of us, pics our feet, pics of our pitiful shoe selection.

We can still do a separate sculpture of 'Shoes we can loose.'

Beverly, how is that 'heel and foot pain awarness day' campaign coming?

Regards, Kim B.

Nancy S. on 8/19/00 at 18:00 (025833)

Beverly, I have certainly picked up on the fact that you are a shoeaholic! Is there a group you could join if you need help? (kidding)
It must have been painful for you to give away all those shoes. It must feel like I would feel if I gave away my antique tins.
I don't know of a group for me to join either.
Nancy

Laurie R on 8/19/00 at 20:45 (025850)

Hi Guys,
Ok I feel a hell of alot better that I helped somebody.Now if I can just help myself I'll be doing fine.Ha Ha Ha !!!!!!!!!

Bev, I am so glad you decided not to go shopping ,that along as we know can cause a big set back.I am sure the shoes you have at home will be just fine. Now if I would of just worn tenis shoe with my skirt it would of been fine also.My cousin told me today that's what I should do for now on,I will listen.The thing is ,I always wear jeans and I went to Macy and got such a cute skirt and blouse. I just wanted to look nice for one day.I so understand it is not worth it.

I am really happy you guys read this and it did help some.

My best to all ,Thanks Nancy for your Hurray Laurie .That makes my day ,You sweetie pie.Nancy have a martini on me tonight......

Laurie R

Laurie R on 8/19/00 at 21:13 (025853)

Hi Beverly,
I forgot to answer you question about the shot.My Pod told me yesterday that he was going to put cortisone in the shot as well as the numbing stuff .Unfortunately I don't know the names of either .He did tell me that the cortisone he added started with a d,he did say the name but I don't remenber.He said this cortisone does not got through your whole body just the spot he put it in.He said it would help with the imflammation.

Today my foot is feeling alot better,so it must of worked.

I hope this helped answer your question.

Laurie R

Nancy S. on 8/19/00 at 21:47 (025856)

Thanks, Laurie -- I already had two martinis tonight! And they're helping my feet, too!
I'm glad you're feeling better today,
from Nancy

alan k on 8/20/00 at 08:28 (025866)

Hi LAurie,

Haven't heard from you for a while. It's good to hear you are better enough to start having little setbacks.

I just wanted to know what was working for your pf and for tts that made things better.

thanks,

alan k

http://www.acutai.com

Laurie R To Alan on 8/20/00 at 11:00 (025875)

Hi Alan,
What has been working for me.

Things that help the most: 1. Rest 2. walking cast 3. PT 4.My wonderful Podiatrist 5.The right shoes !!!!!!!!!

Things that caused my set backs: 1. HEELS 2. walking in malls. 3.Standing on my feet.

Alan ,
My TTS is still here but, it is so much better then it was.Now from wearing those heels last weekend set me back again.I will tell you though,I have had 2 cortisone shots in the past that did not help at all.This last Friday I got another shot where he put a little cortisone in it.I will say it really has helped .The swelling went down and my foot is feeling better.My foot still goes numb once in a while but for the most I think it is doing better.

Tomarrow I start my retraining school .My Pod said I could postpone it because of this set back .I feel I need to try to go and get my new life started.If I don't start tomarrow I know I will never go.Maybe it will get my mind off of my foot for a while.It is just part time 4 hours a day ,sitting at a computer.Wish me luck......

How are you doing Alan????

My best to you buddy......Laurie R